.223 questions

JDBraddy

I normally shoot rimfire or service rifle, but am considering getting a bolt gun in .223 remington. I already load .223 for my service rifles, but this rifle will be used primarily for paper punching from the bench at 100-300yds. Am not sure what twist to look for in the barrel, my service rifles are 1 in 8 but I doubt I will need to shoot 80 grain bullets from this gun. I had a Savage model 12 VLP in .223 a while back, it wasn't bad, but wasn't anything special either. I've been looking at the Remington 700's and XR-100's but got to shoot a buddies Cooper 21 Varment the other day, and really liked it, and am now kind of leaning in that direction. Any advice or suggestions appreciated.

for straight paper at 100/200 yds..a 14 twist with 52/53 gr match bullets....
when you go to 300 not sure how the lite bullets will do....maybe a 60/64..but then a 12 or 10 twist...

you will be suprised how well a 1/8 shoots 52/55 gr......
the most popular non "match" twist is 1/9....

my br ar15 is a 1/14 hart....ag's right at .2...but it took me yrs to get there....and cannot shoot in a 7 min time frame...

mike in co

Based on my exp. with the .223, get a 1-9" twist. It will shoot any of the 52-53gr match bullets very well at 100 yds., and the 69gr bullets out at 300. They also shoot fairly well up close.

A box of Nosler 52gr and one of the 69gr Competition bullets, and a pound of H4895 will drastically shorten load development.

As to the rifle, I will suggest the same thing I am doing. Find another Savage, and have Savage Shooters Supply chamber one of their Douglas barrels in .223. I shot out my .223 barrel, and since my 30BR barrel shoots so well on my other Savage, its a no-brainer. And I will have much less in it than a Cooper or one of the other factory "customs".

Savage LRPV in 223 twisted 1:7, lapua brass, N-133 ( approx 24.5-25 gr) and a Scheider Accuracy 52 gr FB match(formerly Fowler Bullets) or a 53 gr Sierra HPFB Match & you'll be smokin,,,,,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

i'm impressed...1/7 ??
and make sure you get match brass not the earlier 223 brass they sold...it was kcrap...sub contracted i believe.
mike in co
Savage LRPV in 223 twisted 1:7, lapua brass, N-133 ( approx 24.5-25 gr) and a Scheider Accuracy 52 gr FB match(formerly Fowler Bullets) or a 53 gr Sierra HPFB Match & you'll be smokin,,,,,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

JDBraddy: I highly recommend the Remington XR-100 in 223 Remington to you.
I have 4 Remington XR-100's in various calibers and am happy with the accuracy from all of them!
A couple years ago I took my XR-100 to the range on a dead calm day and fired the smallest group (5 shots at 100 yards) I have ever made with an all factory stock, non-custom, non-40X Rifle.
That group (5 shots at 100 yards) measured .121"!
I have a Leupold 8.5x25x40mm scope on this Rifle and I use it for Colony Varmint shooting.
Including load development testing the average of ALL groups (all 5 shots at 100 yards) I have fired to date with this Rifle has AVERAGED .378".
The thumbhole stock fits me perfectly from the bench and afield.
I was shooting the Berger 52 grain bullets, LaPua brass, Federal 205M primers and H 335 powder to get that smallest group.
Again I highly recommend the XR-100.
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

When I lived in Seattle and could see we had monthly club factory rifle matches that were shot at 200 and 300 yards. Most of the winners back then, 14 years ago, shot .223's with 52/53 gr bullets with some usually stiff loads of N133, although I preferred N135. Most everyone shot Remington 700V's at that time which had, I believe 1 in 12 twist barrels.

The best group I saw was a sub inch group (can't remember if it was 5 or 10 shots) at 300 yards by Rick Beginski. Anyway the lighter bullets don't have many problems out to 300 yards. Heavier bullets might work better at 300 yards, but at 100 yards might not do as well.

Good luck!

You're not gonna need a high twist with BR bullets.
The Cooper has potential in 14tw with ~50gr bullets. I use 50gr Janer FB in mine.
But the trigger does suck, no denyin that one.
Maybe you could find an old Jewel for Coopers.

For pure performance with no wood whatsoever, can't go wrong with a Savage.

Coopers would do you just fine, the 50/52/53 do really well. For 300 I normally use 55s. Cooper no longer twist 14 in the model 21 in 223. Its now a standard 12. I have one w/12 twist and it works good for me. The Savage route aint bad either though.

Back