222 Rem. info?

REMY

Hi Guy's, could some of you who have had actual shooting /competition experience with the triple duece report about barrel life expectance ?

Thank's in advance:)

Remy

Hi Guy's, could some of you who have had actual shooting /competition experience with the triple duece report about barrel life expectance ?

Thank's in advance:)

Remy
Remy. I've owned 5 rifles in triple deuce since the early seventies. Never competed with it but used it on a lot of chucks and foxes. It's not a barrel burner like the 220 Swift, so barrels last a good long time. Accuracy has been very good, out of all 5. Mostly Rem 700's and one Sako. I guess that caliber use to rule the roost in competition until 1975 when the 22PPC was introduced. Go out there and shoot the sh*t out of it. It's a fun caliber.

Why didn't you shoot the 222 competitively?

It seemed to me that barrel life was somewhat longer when compared to the 6PPC....which is the only comparison I have.

Last edited:
Bob Bell, long-time editor of Pennsylvania Game News and writer for various GUN DIGEST publications for decades, had a Sako .222 that he put over 12,000 rounds through. Bob was a woodchuck shooter rather than a benchrest competitor, but an accuracy enthusiast nevertheless. I don't recall him mentioning when the accuracy fell off, but one would guess the last thousand rounds didn't shoot as well as the first thousand. He used 4895 powder exclusively.

Perhaps there are others on this forum that know more about Bob's rifle.

I competed in the first year of Ultimate Benchrest (2011) in Modified Class with a sleeved Remington 722 chambered in .222. I won SSOY in that class and also competed with it in 2012, but finished in 2nd place. This barrel had well in excess of 12,000 rounds, many in dog towns. It was still competitive in 2012, but would foul badly after 10-15 shots, so I had to retire it.

Rick Fox

Why didn't you shoot the 222 competitively?

It seemed to me that barrel life was somewhat longer when compared to the 6PPC....which is the only comparison I have.
Started score shooting competitively in 2013 Wilbur, so I would of never used a 222 or a 6PPC. I've been shooting rifles since I was about 7 years old, but I never knew about BR score shooting till I moved up to Maine and ran into Chris Mitchell, (Z-Dog). He tried to get me to shoot score in 2006 when I first met him, but I sort of kept blowing it off until 2012 when I said to him I'll give it a try in the factory class. It was fun, but I was the only one in that class shooting and that wasn't so fun. I bought my first real full blown 30 BR rifle from Dean Breeden in October of 2012. I wish I started in 2006 because I find it a lot of fun. I enjoy the people that I shoot against more than the shooting itself. I guess if I were more serious about this game I'd be a better shooter. I've seen a few guy's get mad and throw things, because they dropped a point or missed an x, and that to me is taking this thing TOO seriously, because u know what, IT'S ONLY A F'N GAME.

Last edited:
Thanks for answering my question. You're shooting that score stuff where a 222 would have to be magic or better.

I never threw stuff but I wanted to at times! Driving 500 miles just to do something stupid might bring that out if it was there to bring.

Rick - what did you replace the 222 with?

Last edited:
Expect long barrel life with 222 Rem.

I also have a short range Benchrest rifle in 222 Remington. It was put together for me by Russ Haydon. One reason Russ encouraged me to go with 222 Rem, rather than the more popular 6 PPC was barrel life. He assured me competition quality barrel life with the Krieger barrel on my rifle would be 10 times what I could expect if I had the same rifle in 6 PPC. I will be competing for the first time this spring and summer. I do not expect to win anything or even place in the top half at any competition but I will not be blaming the rifle, or the cartridge. The rifle is awesome and 222 Rem. is a supremely accurate cartridge at 100 and 200 yards.

Here is my rifle:

Here are a couple of 5-shot, 100-yard groups after load testing:

Last edited:
Thanks for answering my question. You're shooting that score stuff where a 222 would have to be magic or better.

I never threw stuff but I wanted to at times! Driving 500 miles just to do something stupid might bring that out if it was there to bring.

Wilbur. How would you feel after driving 3600 miles only to do something really stupid on the last match of the year? It happen to me. I wasn't pissed, just bummed out. It was a really long trip home.

Wilbur,
I first went to a new Brux 222 barrel, but decided after one season that it was just too slow at 200 yards. I have competed since 2012 in all 4 UBR Classes. Right now I'm shooting a Fred Sinclair Remington 40X with a 6PPC barrel in Modified, a 220 Beggs XP 100 action in Unlimited, a 6BR Cooper in Factory and a Bat 6PPC & Cobra 220 Beggs in Custom. I also have a Seely Masker Remington 6PPC that I will be making available as a loaner (following your example) this season
That's the semi-long answer. The short answer would be a 220 Beggs.

Rick

Pretty good targets there slowshot! The info on the targets indicate calm and zero wind...were you guessing or had wind flags?

Good lookin' rifle!

Wilbur. How would you feel after driving 3600 miles only to do something really stupid on the last match of the year? It happen to me. I wasn't pissed, just bummed out. It was a really long trip home.

Yep, I suppose it was more like 10,000 miles home...uphill all the way.

Yep, I suppose it was more like 10,000 miles home...uphill all the way.

Yes and to top it off, I broke down 3 times on the way home. Talk about adding insult to injury. Lightened up the ole' wallet almost a grand. Sh*t that's about 2300 30 caliber bullets more that I could have bought.

Last edited:
Pretty good targets there slowshot! The info on the targets indicate calm and zero wind...were you guessing or had wind flags?

Good lookin' rifle!

Other shooters had wind flags set. I just looked at their flags. I do that a lot. Calm means the occasional light breeze. Zero means dead calm, or at least not enough to make anyone's wind flags or tails spin, flap around or move in any way. Of course, I do my best when there is little or no wind.:eek:

Just get to a match and throw your hat into the ring. Youll be surprised how much youll learn and youll do just fine!

Just get to a match and throw your hat into the ring. Youll be surprised how much youll learn and youll do just fine!

As I have mentioned, this spring is it. One summer I was injured and/or sick all summer, the next year I was chicken. :eek: This year is the year I finally compete against my betters.

Be sure to keep us informed on your matches good or bad. If you wait til you can win before you go compete youll never go. I suspect youll do very well- better than you expect actually.

222 Rem info?

I shot one for many years. I always got beat out by a better shooter but it was a lot of fun.

The 222 at 100 yds will shoot just fine , and right along with or better then some 6 ppc rifle,s.

It a great case with a good bullet and good cases and a good 22 bullet { custom made}, Mine shot really well with Sierra 52 or 53 gr bullets

The 14 twist the preferred barrel twist , along with the old IMR 4198 at about 20 to 21 grs with remington neck turned brass and a 7 1/2 primer.

The only thing lacking with the 222 was it kind of ran out of steam at 200 yds. as time went on Ted Boughton came up with the 222.1/2 and so did ED Shillen

Walley Hart won the nationals one year with the 222 mag. The first world record for group was set with the 222.

Just some great shooting by really great shooters of the times.

Back