222 Rem brass?

R

rolf

I`ve a Sako Vixen that has been rebarreled and now wears a Lothar Walther SS barrel with 1-12" twist.

My question, if I want to use the best cases there is what shall I look for? I`ve Norma, Win, Rem, Sako and Lapua to choose from.
Usually I would have choosen Lapua without even hesitating but when I weighed them the Lapua brass was so much heavier then the others that I think I`ll have trouble with high pressure.

//Rolf

Norma is good (uniform) brass and so is Lapua, so it'd be a toss up between them for me. If you load to "standard" .222 pressures case capacity shouldn't be a problem. Even if you tip up the powder can a bit you shouldn't have any problems with Lapua. My little CZ .222 digests loads that are from 1 to 1.5 gr over any manual loads I've seen with no primer cratering, primer edges well rounded, and one finger bolt handle lift so I'd guess the pressures are pretty reasonable. Most of the powders that are suitable for the .222 don't approach compresed loads at maximum charge so maybe the Lapua being harder and heavier would be best.

If I am not mistaken, Lapua no longer makes 222 brass. There is probably some old stock around if you can find it.

Just use Lapua .223 Remington Brass

FL Size and trim to length

also works with the .221 Fireball.

Thanks guys.

Then Lapua it is.
I haven`t thought about trimming 223 brass and regarding that I`ve a follow up question.
I`ve heard about a brass maker called IMI, Israeli made I think, and their 223brass has very good reputation here in Sweden.
Do anyone of you know of where to find these? The only cases I`ve found that`s IMI stamped is 30-06.

Back