222 in a factory 700...modern powders ?

C

CMaier

I use to shoot a 222 in the early 70's in a factory rifle.

I am getting a "new", as in unfired, 700 222 and was wondering
if there are newer powders that shoot better than the
imr 4198 i used back then ?

I used 52 gr match back then but have had good luck in
223 with the 50 gr zmax, so may try a 50 match if i can find one.

H322, Benchmark, 748, Federal primers
I tend to tune .006 into the lands, trying different powder charges. If I were you, for varmint work, I would take a serious look at the 40 grained plastic tipped bullets. They have the BCs that older designs in heavier weights had, with the bonus of a couple of hundred FPS velocity (at least) and terriffic terminal performance on varmints.

my limited experience with 748 is it was too temp sensitive.
shot fine one day, and the next was way over an inch.

newer powders

N133, LT32, and 8208XBR are all powders I have been using in my .222 lately. Mostly with 50 and 52 grain bullets and might be a tad too slow for the lighter 40 grainers. Bart's 52's appear to be top shelf and shoot very good in my rifle. But as Boyd said the 40 grain tipped are pretty impressive too. With all that said, 4198 still works fine-just doesn't meter well.
Lonnie

ohhh ohhh ohhh..
I have a jug of thunderbird 8208.....
Good choice ??

Your 8208 is good. If you can find any H335, give it a try. My p'dog hunting buddy got excellent accuracy and velocity with that powder in his .222. Good shooting and best of luck with your retina problem. James

I'll cast another vote for the 4198 but I shot H322 in a 222 at a few Benchrest matches when I first started. It did pretty good...won a couple of third place pine boards in a pretty tough crowd.

I'll add that I had some success with I 4895 (although I had to be very careful stuffing the case) and also Rl 7. Both were with 53gr Hillbilly bullets.

Rick

222 in a factory 700 .. Modern Powders?

It hard to beat either one o the 4198 numbers.
I like H 4198 because it goes thu the measure easier.

Bl-c2

It's not a new powder but BLC-2 with a 50 grn. NBT works really well.

As I remember wasen't BL-C2 the BR powder for the 222 in benchrest. Say in the 60's.
I have 2 pre 1970 Rem 700's in 222 that really like BL-C2. That I tried in BR matches back then.
I actually bought my 222's from John Dewey in Clinton Corners NY.

Ben

I have best luck with N133 with 52gr. Barts. Occasionally I use one in Rem.700 HV configuration for a registered VFS shoot when another club member campaigns one of his .222's. A lot of fun....a real pleasure to shoot. Best to date was 250 -15x. FWIW IMR 4198 was my best back in the 70's closely followed by 22.2 gr of H-322.....but that was the green Scottish? vintage. Today's H-322 extreme does not work well in this gun.

222 in a factory 700 .. Modern Powders?

Try the new extreme powders that out now.
H 4198 is really good in thee duce.

H322, Benchmark, 748, Federal primers
I tend to tune .006 into the lands, trying different powder charges. If I were you, for varmint work, I would take a serious look at the 40 grained plastic tipped bullets. They have the BCs that older designs in heavier weights had, with the bonus of a couple of hundred FPS velocity (at least) and terriffic terminal performance on varmints.

+1 on the 40gr Nosler BTs. I have a trued 722 bedded into the original factory stock with a shilen match barrel that will easily agg in the 4s and shoots these little pills with amazing terminal results. At 75-200 yards the bullet does not exit. The 'chucks here in NY are like water balloons after taking a hit. I use AA2015 and WSR primers in Lapua cases. Bullets are off the lands.

Back