22 short PPC waldog

82boy

Patrick Kennedy
Well I started my winter project tonight, I am going to reechamber my 22BR in to a 22 waldog. I started by making a form die out of an old 22/250 die, and I formed a few cases. I was surprised how much smaller the waldog looks to the PPC. Here is a picture of the 22 waldog beside a 6PPC, of course the round needs fireformed to be a true waldog.
IMG_0464.jpg
Anyone here ever play with a waldog, or a 22 short PPC? What advise would you give? Thanks

If you did the true Waldog, then you are .125 short. More than likely, 4198 is your best bet as far as a powder goes. Fire your cases at least twice before tuning. Start out at jam for seating depth and Keep the bullets out of the donut at the neck/shoulder junction. What steps did you do to form the brass? I've made hundreds of cases for the waldog and other short ppc's and might be able to help you.

Hovis

How are you going to chamber your barrel, thats the question!! My advise would be to have a true waldog reamer made. A lot of fellas run a 22ppc reamer in and stop it short but i dont think this is the best method. You will have a hard time finding a good FL size die. At least this is my experience. I also use a cut off 22/250 die to push back the shoulders and it seems to work pretty good. Just remember not to push them back to far as you wil want a crush fit for the first firing. I went to far with mine. About .007 to much. My brass is ok though i think. I cant see any run out on my little Sinclair tool, but i sure wont push them back quite as far next time. Good luck and enjoy! Lee

Why not a .200 short 22BR??

My advice would be have Mr Hoehn make your brass Its money well spent..

If you did the true Waldog, then you are .125 short. More than likely, 4198 is your best bet as far as a powder goes. Fire your cases at least twice before tuning. Start out at jam for seating depth and Keep the bullets out of the donut at the neck/shoulder junction. What steps did you do to form the brass? I've made hundreds of cases for the waldog and other short ppc's and might be able to help you.

Hovis

Yup it is .125 short, I just necked them down in one step in a shortened 22/250 die. (I know it not the best way to do things, and boy do they have a long neck after sizing.) I found that the new Hornady case wax works a bit better than imperal. I was suprised the case doesn't seem to have a donut inside, if it does I cant see it or feel it. The ring on the neck in the picture is because it was new brass that came with a barrel I bought, and the guy did not have a clue how to neck turn. He cut way deep into the shoulder of the brass. (I scraped them.)

I’m thinking about building one of these as well, can anyone with this particular cartridge experience tell me how loud they are, as I want to tune a load comparable to that of a hornet, also recommendations on twist rates for 45 – 50gr pills

Thanks

Remember the Smalldog? Wasn't it a shortened 22BR.

Once you get the brass made and find a good bullet you'll love the little guy.

I started benchrest with a 100 short. I had the help of James Messer and Jim Foster in getting my first cases made. I also had the good fortune of having Jef Fowler bullets available. I'd look into the Bill Scheider line of bullets since he has the old Fowler dies.
http://fowlerbullets.com/

The only drawback with the 22's is if you shoot in events where the Sporter class is being shot. Then you have two of everything to keep up with.

I found the 22 Waldog to be very easy to shoot. Mine was set up in a 13.5# Panda. Almost no recoil. Sat the bags perfect. Never had a rifle so easy to shoot or to load. It shoots like magic!

One of my friends wife who had never shot before came out to the range and shot it and fell in love with the rifle. The stock on the rifle looked like a robin's egg. My Waldog became a Christmas gift.

The only down side is making up the brass which is not that hard. Just takes a couple of extra steps.

Is there any accuracy down sides to using the cut off 22-250 die for making the cases? I am just getting my feet wet with this chambering and i think making the brass is as easy as anything!! I am using a cut off 22-250 die but me being me, wonders if there is a better way? There cant be an easier way, as this is super easy the way i am doing it. If i can gain accuracy and better brass with a different method. i am all ears and eyes!!!! Do tell!! So far i am really enjoying these little cases. I had some issues with finding a proper FL size die, but i think that's settled!! Time will tell! Lee

Is there any accuracy down sides to using the cut off 22-250 die for making the cases? I am just getting my feet wet with this chambering and i think making the brass is as easy as anything!! I am using a cut off 22-250 die but me being me, wonders if there is a better way? There cant be an easier way, as this is super easy the way i am doing it. If i can gain accuracy and better brass with a different method. i am all ears and eyes!!!! Do tell!! So far i am really enjoying these little cases. I had some issues with finding a proper FL size die, but i think that's settled!! Time will tell! Lee

no, case making is case making. First you form them, then youworry about them. As far as FL dies, get Harrels to make some. Or Redding

I really don't know why more folks aren't playing with these 22's. I think its a ton of fun, and the lack of recoil is a real bonus. The recoil of the 22 would make a bad tracking rifle track well. Well in theory anyway. there just isn't any recoil. Its kinda spooky at first!! As far as making the brass, thats simple as well. One quick trip through a cut off 22-250 die and your there minus the neck turning. There is some excess case length that needs trimmed, but that isn't a big deal either. I sure enjoy mine!! Lee

PS If you cant tell, Im trying to keep this post rolling. I find the 22 shorts very interesting!!

I found I miss the Waldog so we have ordered a new reamer and plan to make three barrels for starters.

Do any of you have any old Waldog dies laying around that you do not need? If so please PM me.

Thanks Octopus

i've been shooting the short 22 ppc for about 10 years. The .100 short is arguably the best version. i tried the .125 short, but couldnt get the velocity i wanted. use v133 or h4198 with the .100 short and you will get about 3500 fps with 52 grain bullets. i won the 100 yard light varmint at the east west shootout with pretty brisk winds. to me it drifts a little more in windy conditions than the 6ppc, but is easier to tune and easy to shoot. Harrells will make you a die to fit your chamber if you send him a fired case. dont use a regular 22ppc run in short because you'll have tight cases. I had mine made by JGS.
Mike Niblett

I would agree that the 22 PPC .100 short is better if you need to shoot 200/300. At our range we only shoot 100. I had a .125 short a couple of years ago and it was very easy to load and shoot. One of my buddies talked me out of it for his wife. I have a new .125 reamer on order.

What procedure are you using to make your cases?

I use a shortened 22-250 die, trim the cases and turn the necks. fire form twice and you're ready to shoot.

Back