22 Rimfire Bore Cleaning

drover

It has been a while since I have posted but I need some knowledge so here is my question -

What cleaners and procedures are you using for lead/carbon removal in 22 rimfire barrels?

I am aware of the shoot them dirty vs. shoot them clean discussions but I have two barrels that shoot their best when clean. I am hoping to find a cleaner and procedure to minimize the amount of brushing but I am not adverse to anything that works.

Thanks in advance.

drover

Drover,
You say that you want to minimize brushing. That's been my approach lately too however, I'm not worried about actually brushing the bore & causing any damage whatsoever. The reason I'm brushing less is I feel like the ammo I'm shooting doesn't preform as well, as quickly as it used too. I'll brush after about every 9-12 cards or so.
Most are likely using Bore Tech's Rimfire Blend, perhaps alone or with some additive of their choice.
Me, I have always used a mixture of Hoppe's & Mystery Oil. It works for me.
About 1 or 2 times a year I also will use Shooter's Choice Lead Remover. Not that I have any excessive lead in the bore, its just a going through the motion kind of thing.
All barrels are not alike & will need different regimens. Yours will have to tell you what it likes.
I've been at this for several years & still question whether I'm doing the "right" thing or not. I'm not sure I'll ever know.

Keith

Drover,
You say that you want to minimize brushing. That's been my approach lately too however, I'm not worried about actually brushing the bore & causing any damage whatsoever. The reason I'm brushing less is I feel like the ammo I'm shooting doesn't preform as well, as quickly as it used too. I'll brush after about every 9-12 cards or so.
Most are likely using Bore Tech's Rimfire Blend, perhaps alone or with some additive of their choice.
Me, I have always used a mixture of Hoppe's & Mystery Oil. It works for me.
About 1 or 2 times a year I also will use Shooter's Choice Lead Remover. Not that I have any excessive lead in the bore, its just a going through the motion kind of thing.
All barrels are not alike & will need different regimens. Yours will have to tell you what it likes.
I've been at this for several years & still question whether I'm doing the "right" thing or not. I'm not sure I'll ever know.

Keith

i have found that maintaining the throat with more often with a nylon brush after three cards seems to help a bunch for me.

Thanks for the information.

Luckily after cleaning both barrels settle back in and start shooting well after 5 or so fouling shots. I will give the nylon brush and Bore Tech a try to see how that works.

I have been using Kroil for carbon removal and a brass brush for lead removal. As mentioned the primary buildup seems to be in the throat area so perhaps a regimen of Bore Tech and Kroil will help mitigate it somewhat.

drover

Thanks for the information.

Luckily after cleaning both barrels settle back in and start shooting well after 5 or so fouling shots. I will give the nylon brush and Bore Tech a try to see how that works.

I have been using Kroil for carbon removal and a brass brush for lead removal. As mentioned the primary buildup seems to be in the throat area so perhaps a regimen of Bore Tech and Kroil will help mitigate it somewhat.

drover

Looking forward to see how it is all resolved for you sir!

Back