22 RF reloading

dokey

I was thinking of pulling the heads from CCI stingers and replacing them with either .223 or .224 jacketed heads in an attempt to improve benchrest accuracy. I realize I would have to cut a shoulder on the head so the case wouldn't bulge. Any opinions why this would or wouldn't work and has anyone tried this before

Better check into the rules of whatever benchrest competition you are shooting, as just about most if not all will not allow you to modify the ammo in anyway.

22 RF w/CF bullets

Question to ponder? Is not the bore dia. of a rimfire barrel (.222 max?) a smaller diameter than that of a centerfire (.224 max?). A very experienced gunsmith once told me that was the reason a 22 rimfire could not have the chamber re-cut to 22 Winchester Magnum dimensions, and be safe-to-fire, using the rim-fire barrel. Pressures would be "out-of-sight", his quote, not mine. Just a thought

Also, wouldn't that come under "manufacture of ammunition" and require you to purchase a manufacturer's license..???

Dave

reload

Ive been measuring alot of 22lrs lately and they come in at roughly .224, but have significantly smaller contact area for drive bands. I would also guess they are a much softer material than any jacketed bullet. I would guess if you swaged the base for seating, reducing the drive band area on a soft bullet like the vmax you may be ok. You will still have to start with a reduced load and work up. You will probably run into magazine issues if you are using one. I was kicking around pulling some rounds, decrimping with a 204ruger expander and then just seating or possibly crimping with a collet puller, I was thinking of making some +P rounds for a bolt gun. I was just going to reswedge or form the original bullet though

I was thinking of making some +P rounds for a bolt gun. I was just going to reswedge or form the original bullet though

Do you think that the brass will handle something like that? Why mess with it?

I have some bp reloads. They are for fun, and nothing more.

Brent

+p

I have my doubts, i just like to tinker. They have 22lr up to I think 1750 fps as i recall with 30 or 38 gr bullets. I also saw some rounds a guy made using 60gr or slightly reduced 60gr SSS bullets over a stinger/velocitor charge. I also have an old article of an Australian smith who built a 17hmr in the 70s and n testing he got insane velocitys. Im not saying any are safe, but it never hurts to test if common sense is used to some extent. I would not mind a 22lr with a slightly better bullet shape or increase in velocity. So far all i have found with others that have dissected and reloaded rounds is bad accuracy, so who knows.

Also, wouldn't that come under "manufacture of ammunition" and require you to purchase a manufacturer's license..???

Dave
Unless you're selling it for profit, I don't think so. How is this different from casting, bullet swaging or reloading centerfires?

I have some of Red Cornelison's reloaded 22mag in 17cal. He was way ahead of Hornaday.
Butch

I have about 50 rounds of .22 RFM cases necked down to .17 also. I bought it at a gunshow about 15 years ago. I started building a rifle for it, but changed in mid course and built a .17 Ackley Hornet (On the .22 Hornet centerfire case.)

Man-oh-man that Anschutz still shoots tiny groups at 50 yards.

Hoser

Question to ponder? Is not the bore dia. of a rimfire barrel (.222 max?) a smaller diameter than that of a centerfire (.224 max?). A very experienced gunsmith once told me that was the reason a 22 rimfire could not have the chamber re-cut to 22 Winchester Magnum dimensions, and be safe-to-fire, using the rim-fire barrel. Pressures would be "out-of-sight", his quote, not mine. Just a thought
The only .224 bullets that give me pressure problems in the 22 Epperson Cricket (25acp case necked to 22, in a rechambered Romanian M-1969 rifle 22" rimfire barrel) have been the 45gr Remington HPs. All of the Hornady offerings work fine. My best guess for this is that the Rem jackets are harder to engrave.
I can get 1850 fps with the 35gr V-Max and 1600 with the 45gr "Hornet" bullets.

There are some guys...

There are some guys who pull bullets from .22 magnums and "reload" the cases for Cowboy class silhouette shooting. I believe that their goal is more knockdown power for shooting the ram silhouettes. You might want to check with some of them at the Steelchickens site for more details.

SteveM.

The 22RF, as in 22 LR, is according to SAAMI spec’s .222. The trouble I see with reloading to a jacketed bullet is the reduced size of the heal. Hornady, if they still do, makes a .222 jacketed bullet, it was for the old 22 Jet and a .223 for the older Hornets. Now back to the heal, I measured some Ely cases, there .008 add that X2 to the .222 and you have .238 plus some for expansion say .001 to .002 and you have a reamer size of .239 to.240. That’s a mighty big reamer. Now lets look at the reloading part, Is it really worth the trouble and danger of pulling the bullets, removing the role crimp and getting a special reamer, or swaggering the heal?

Bill Brawand did it already

He made jacketed bullets like the lead ones and loaded a bunch of different stuff - Didn't improve accuracy.

Back