22-250 barrel on a .223

K

kyle_davis56

Hello, I was looking at the remington sps tactical and I saw it is only offered in 2 cal, a .223 and a .308. I have been unsuccessful at finding the .308 in stock at a good price. However I can find the .223, my question is if at a later date I want to put a 22-250 barrel on it or a another more powerful round will I be able to do that with the .223. If not what other options will I have for this rifle in a .223 and also in a .308 as far as a different barrel is concerned.

Bolt face dia are not the same for both ctgs. Extractors would be of different sizes. You would have to have two bolts.

I'm not the final authority, but I believe all you have to do is to re-chamber for 22-250 and fit another bolt (like the .308). I'd get a .308 and shoot it, and later re-barrel for the 22-250. No gunsmithing on the new bolt, but a re-barrel (or re-chamber) from .223 to 22-250 may not involve much other than the cost of the bolt. If I'm wrong in any of this, someone please correct me.

The .223 will be the rub. All of the rest are a standard bolt face dia in the majority of the ctgs.

I believe the bottom of the action is milled for the smaller 222 based case. It will not feed the fatter 308 based cases and as previously mentioned the bolt is all wrong. Not a feasible project.

If we are talking about largely unmodified factory rifles, given the cost of rebarreling, and assuming that you are satisfied with the level of performance, it is more economical to sell one rifle and buy another, when a caliber change is desired. Of course most of us just buy another rifle, and keep the first one, which eventually leads to the need for larger gun safes.:D

The Savage rifle platform offers the ability for shooters to switch out barrels and boltheads very easily right at home in a few short minutes.

Not uncommon for a Savage shooter to have a handful of actions and a truckload of extra tubes kicking around. One can shoot any caliber they desire that day depending on the mood;)
Getting those cartridges to feed from a magazine can be difficult but if single shot is acceptable your golden.
Even my actions with appropriate cartridge/magazine combos have followers installed.

Hello, I was looking at the remington sps tactical and I saw it is only offered in 2 cal, a .223 and a .308. I have been unsuccessful at finding the .308 in stock at a good price. However I can find the .223, my question is if at a later date I want to put a 22-250 barrel on it or a another more powerful round will I be able to do that with the .223. If not what other options will I have for this rifle in a .223 and also in a .308 as far as a different barrel is concerned.

Why buy either,when a .204 will do what a 22/250 will do.

Back