22-243

C

cdog

Hello all, I am interested in re-chambering my 223 savage to a 22-243.
I am a little confused with so many variations out there.
I am interested in the most simple version and no fireforming involved.
If this is to be the strait 22-243 that I hope, then there will be no change in the case except for the neck to be sized down to .224? There would be no body or shoulder angle changes at all?
If this is so, then a full length 22-243 die from ch4d, as well as a seater die would be all that is required?
I emailed redding and we are looking at 16 weeks for delivery, are they worth the wait, ch4d has them listed on their site as standard issue?
I also see midway has them in rcbs as well.
I am actually thinking about buying a reamer and doing this myself, would there be any appreciable difference to a newbie between a solid or floating pilot?
Thats all the questions for THIS TIME aound, thanks to anyone that will lend a hand,
Cdog.

Remember, if you do this, you will need to change the bolt face also.

I like the 220 Jaybird; however,

I don't think a 22-243 of any kind is really worth it unless you have a fast twist (8 or 9) and can shoot heavier bullets. The 220 Jaybird can be formed by necking down a 308 case and Redding has dies for it. As was stated earlier, a 223 bolt face is not big enough for a 22-243.

Thanks for the help guys.
Yes, it is a 1 in 9 twist, and yes I have already purchased a spare 308 bolthead from sss.
The jaybird sound interesting, and there must not be 5% difference in performance of any of the variations anyway?
I am looking for the most simple and easy way to do this.
I also had 22 dasher dreams, but I think I should take baby steps and learn as I go.
Thanks again,
Cdog.

I emailed redding and we are looking at 16 weeks for delivery, are they worth the wait, ch4d has them listed on their site as standard issue?

I have gotten 3 sets of Ackley Improved Redding competition dies from Bruno's over the last year. None have taken more than 3 weeks. Call Bruno's. They have always delivered in half of the time they told. I think Redding wants to keep them happy and puts their orders on priority. One set I got from them after waiting over 3 months from Midway and then canceling. How can Bruno's get them in 3 weeks and Midway (a mega store) no get them in 3 months? I don't know.

luck, tiny

I may have not explained myself well enough......
I am looking for a non-fireforming version.
An ackley version of any kind is a fireformed one.
I was looking for a version that needs simply be run through a full length sizer to form the brass.
Yes, they keep ackley dies almost on hand, it was the strait up 22-243 dies that would take 16 weeks to get.
Some of the problem is I can't seem to find a cartridge case drawing for a non-fireformed version so far.
There are so many variations I can't tell wich is wich,lol.
Thanks again,
Cdog.

I hope that your barrel budget is ample. A standard .243 will shoot out a barrel in 1500-1800 rounds, and I'd imagine that a .22-243 would be hard pressed to make much more than 1000 rounds or so.

Good luck anyway.

Back