20w50 oil& STP for neck turning

C

chris 308

Will any 20w50 oil be ok for for neck turning? (50/50 mixture with stp). I read that mobil 1 is used but I cant find that weight of oil anywere in that brand here. I bought a quart of castrol 20w50. will that be ok? thanks chris308

All I can say it try it, should be OK. I use Mobil 1 oil and Mobil 1 grease.

I figured "oil was oil" for this kind of application. Was not sure if Mobil 1 had a specific blend in it..... Neil, will you be doing Pella this year?

The Mobil 1 oil is a synthetic. Is slicker and will tolerates higher temp.

Chris208, It looks like I will be making all the 1K BR at Pella this year, except May 17.!!! Hope to see you.

Assembly Lube

I like "Pro-Blend" performance engine "Assembly Lube".

I use graphite inside the necks & lube the mandrel.
p.s. I should own stock in "Q"-tips !!!

Use some of the very inexpensive Lee case sizing lube. Mix it with some water in a small container, microwave for 10 seconds or so, mix it again and use it. Cleans up with water. You'll never look back.

Use some of the very inexpensive Lee case sizing lube. Mix it with some water in a small container, microwave for 10 seconds or so, mix it again and use it. Cleans up with water. You'll never look back.

Great choice. I have used this, works great and not nearly as messy to clean up as petroleum based products.

Now this may sound strange, If you use a tool with a carbide mandrel you can use Flitz and the inside of your necks will come out with a very nice finish.

Not talking anyones method down, I just see no reason to use something like motor oil, STP, etc. Too many other ways to skin the cat with less mess.

Smooth Kote

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Smooth Kote by Sentry Solutions. It's graphite suspended in a very quick evaporating liquod. You just dip your case neck into a shallow container and both inside and outside of neck is lubed. Nothing to wash out of case, no cutetips and anything left in or on the case won't contaminate powder. You can just wipe it off from the outside of the case with a dry rag if you get it all over the place.

Bob Pastor

Joel,

The Flitz won't wear the carbide mandrel?

al

Correct, apparently the abrasive in Flitz is not as hard as the carbide. I have used this method quite a bit and see no evidence of it wearing a carbide mandrel. Jim Carstensen is the one that recommended this several years ago. I think in a post on this forum.

thanks for the input folks!! I ended up going back to the imperial wax. I saw no improvement with the 20/50-stp mix. The oil mix was VERY messy and took longer to clean up. Was hoping to get a more consistant cut but I think my problem was not letting my mandrel cool off long enough......chris

Joel that's cool tip :cool: thanx! I've been looking for a way to get rid of the cooling scale in the interior of the necks.......

al

Get a carbide mandrel and any lube will work, AND youll never look for any other substitute. No galling no lube issues, no overheating, finer finish, easier to turn-lower inch pounds. Etc.

If the neck is a proper fit on the turning mandrel and isn't spun excessively fast pretty much any lube will work.

I use an expander 0.8 thou bigger than the turning mandrel (in 6mm) which results in a just right press fit and use Lee case lube. No galling , no heat, no hassle and just wash up in warm soapy water. Any residual lube will not mess up powder either.

Bryce

Mobile 1 20-50

is available as a V-Twin motorcyle oil. I was using a formula some one posted with half STP (I think)

Back