2 New Factory Savages Are Accurate!!!

L

larry kramer

Recently, A Friend Brought His New Factory Savage Mod. 12 F-class .308 To Our nice 100 & 200 Yd Range Here in Victoria, (SE) Texas. After Break-in, (@ 100 yds.) he used Some Fed. 168 Gr. Match Ammo To Promptly Put 5 Shots Into the Same Hole. (probably No More Than 3/8" Deviation) Going Varmint Hunting, He Ordered Another Savage, This One A Model 12 Long Range Precision Varmint (lrpv) In .223 ( Lighter Weight Barrel & More Narrow Forend) Receiving It Yesterday, He Brought It Straight To The Range To Try It Out. After His Barrel Break-in Routine And Scope Sight-in, He Shot It In At 200 Yds. This Time Using The Least Expensive Commercial -generic Re-loaded Non-match Ammunition He Could Buy. On The 2nd. Group, The 1st 4 Shots Cut Out The Same Hole, The 5th Out About 1/2". Us 5 Or 6 Witnesses Were Very Impressed And Congradulated Him On His Good Luck With These New Rifles. I Congradulate Savage Too!

Last edited by a moderator:
What you are experincing is a norm, and not just the new one's shoot like that.
I have two bone stock savage, I will share a couple of targets.

First target is from an old model 110bt bone stock 243win made in the 80's no accu-trigger, It shoots groups like this all day long.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/82boy/scan0002.jpg

The second is a newer 12bvss in 204 ruger, it also shoots groups like this all day long.
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d145/82boy/scan0001.jpg

This is also without reading wind flags, I think the groups could improve a bit.

Last edited:
Tomball VFS Matches

Larry,
Ask your Friend to bring His Savages to the next VFS
Match at Tomball, Tx Sunday June 1st. We now have a
factory class He can compete in.

Those are some competitive groups for factory ammo.

Come on out and shoot with us.......

Savage

The funny part about this is that those of us who have Savages have been saying this for awhile. Read some of the posts a year ago from the people who slammed Savages as being too ugly, etc. Many people are coming around for themselves and finding out about Savage. Just look at the varied chamberings and rates of twist they offer and it's obvious they talk to real shooters who want the most value and performance for their money.
Chino69

They say.....

That immitation is the biggest flattery...

Well Marlin or the group that owns Rem, Marlin and others...
are producing a new bolt action called the XL-7...

Comparison to a Savage 110...
Barrel nut, Floating bolt head, An Accutrigger type trigger......
According to the article, the Barrel nut for precise production rate min headspace and a floating bolt head for more consistent "in-line" lock-up".
It appears to shoot well... 30-06 and groups went .700 - 1.300 with factory fodder.

Not a new design, just a copy of what works...IMOP.
March cover story for Shootingtimes March 2008.

cale

That immitation is the biggest flattery...

Well Marlin or the group that owns Rem, Marlin and others...
are producing a new bolt action called the XL-7...
cale

Yes and dont forget Mosberg they also have a Savage copy, that just came out in the last year. Look at the 4x4 and the 100 atr.

Back