17 Ppc

C

CHeetahman

I have a Ruger M77 MKII VT in a 22 ppc that is just about done for. I am kicking around the idea of getting a pac nor barrel in 17 ppc and trying that. How does one go about forming the brass and ups and downs of the cartridge??

Checker over on Saubier.com. A few over there have the 17 PPC.
But you can use a bushing die to neck down .220 R brass to .17 caliber.

Michael

Probably some of the same "downs" I researched when looking at a 20 PPC. Too much case capacity for a such a small bore... (I went with a 20 PPC, but it's .150" short). If you've shot a 17 rem, you know that frequent cleaning is (usually) required... Imagine the same with a 17PPC. Also did I mention wind drift - I shoot a 17 MKIV also - Did I mention wind? Special tools required... 17 cal deburring tool (if you forget to debur before necking down), rods, brushes, jags etc... somewhat annoying to reload, small bullets, fat fingers.

On the ups... 17 PPC dies are readily available, good .172 bullet selection, the view from behind the scope is good - you can spot for yourself on prairie dog hunts since you never lose the sight picture. VLDs are available (Did I mention wind drift). Overall 17 cals are just plain fun - everyone should have one just for plinking.

forming cases for the 17 PPC will be easy... Of course, I goes without saying to keep an eye on the case neck diameter when sizing down any case.

Back