1000yd 300 win mag twist ??

M

mike in co

ok ...i thought 10 twist was ok in a 300 win mag.....but was just handed a hiccup. a bullet manufacture says 11 or 12 twist.......
yes i wanted to be able to shoot both 210's and 190 class bullets but the throat math says ..not likely.
so if i only shoot the 190's at 1000...what twist should i use...
what twist will let me shoot lighter if i shoot 600yds ?( or should i ?)

help.....

thanks
mike

I would run a 1/11" for that set up.

Just my 2 cents!

ERIC

Eric,
Go with the faster twist whenever there's a question. More twist that is "required" will rarely cause you a problem, while insufficient twist is ALWAYS a problem. You didn't mention specifically which bullets you were using, but if they're Berger's, they recommend a minimum 1x11" for their 210 VLD, while a 1x12" should work for the 190 VLD. Also worth remembering that there can be some variation in stated twist rates, especially in buttoned barrels. A 1x10 may actually measure 1x10 1/4", or 9 3/4" etc., they can and do vary. Cut barrekls are a bit more consistent in this regard, but with either, always go for the faster twist if there's a question.

Hope this helps,
Kevin Thomas

Eric,
Go with the faster twist whenever there's a question. More twist that is "required" will rarely cause you a problem, while insufficient twist is ALWAYS a problem. You didn't mention specifically which bullets you were using, but if they're Berger's, they recommend a minimum 1x11" for their 210 VLD, while a 1x12" should work for the 190 VLD. Also worth remembering that there can be some variation in stated twist rates, especially in buttoned barrels. A 1x10 may actually measure 1x10 1/4", or 9 3/4" etc., they can and do vary. Cut barrekls are a bit more consistent in this regard, but with either, always go for the faster twist if there's a question.

Hope this helps,
Kevin Thomas
would be THE KEVIN THOMAS of sierra fame ?

ok so if i change my plan to 190 and less( sierra, beger or...)
1/12 ???/
i cannot get 1/11 from shilen....dang.

thanks guys

Mike,

Go with the 10 twist. It has worked for me over the last ten years and I sure don't have any regrets.

I know guys that use a ten twist in their 308 Win. guns, while shooting
175s and they consistently shoot competitively.

I am not a math wiz, so I won't go into why I think it works, I just know that it does.

Good luck,
Danny

where is Greenhill when you need him

Mike,

It has been my experience that if it is close you go to the faster twist as Kevin says but it is somewhat of a fine line. Over spinning a bullet can at times be just as bad as underspinning. I run a 1/11 in both of my 300 win mags but I only shoot the 210 VLD's after testing several others. If you are going to the 190's then I think you will be better served by the 1/12 and then testing different 190's and powders to find which combo has good harmonics and likes your barrel. My two cents.

I would be happy to share my data on powders, bullets and primers when you get to load development... I did a lot of testing (almost a barrel worth) to get to my "sweetest' spot.

ok jumped ship and went to broughten a 11 twist 1000 heavy......
on a positive note , jerry at the bbl man was very nice considering i was canceling an order i just placed.
thanks
mike in co

1:10 twist

ok ...i thought 10 twist was ok in a 300 win mag.....but was just handed a hiccup. a bullet manufacture says 11 or 12 twist.......
yes i wanted to be able to shoot both 210's and 190 class bullets but the throat math says ..not likely.
so if i only shoot the 190's at 1000...what twist should i use...
what twist will let me shoot lighter if i shoot 600yds ?( or should i ?)

help.....

thanks
mike

My buddy shoots a 300 Win Mag with 215 Berger. He just got done attending a long range riffle school where he hit 1200 yards 3 out of 4 tries. And this class is offered by and ex army sniper. I definitely wouldn't go any slower than a 1:10 twist. Spend the money and get the Berger Ammo. Also, watch this video series that i am adding here. https://youtu.be/pwG-D0HjCBQ. Watch and study these videos and make your own calls. Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_4682.jpg
    IMG_4682.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 728
knock knock...
2009 question...2015 answer
answer not about benchrest shooting.....
knock knock...no one home ???

ps is this the "mike in co" that everyone is talking about ??/

Back