1000 Yard Rangefinder?

Mirage416

I've been using a cheap Bushnell rangefinder to range target positions. It's not a model with number, just Bushnell Pro or something and is probably their lowest model from a few years back.

Well I stapled some white sheets on my 500 yard target and after holding the button down and resting, I finally got it to read 510 and 513 a couple of times. This looks like it is the extent of the rangefinder. Now I want to range the 1000 yard target accurately, but will obviously need a new rangefinder.

What model will do 1000 yards? I hear the Bushnell Pinseeker 1500 is one of the best for the price, but I was wondering if anyone can attest to its 1000 yard ability.

1000 yard rangfinder

I have a Leica Geovid. They will range 1000 yards most of the time. Late afternoon and early morning most all the time. In the middle of the day with a lot of light 700-800 yards. I have ranged over 1200 yards at times when conditions were good.

I'm referring to ranging the PD - not a building or something close to the PD.

Two years ago my friend killed a PD at 1122 yards. I was able to range that distance - late afternoon.

I have one of the later Bushnell 1000 something or other. I know I have seen 600 yards but I don't think I have ever seen 700. I keep them in my truck and use thim a lot. Around here (TN & MS) they normally range anything I need.

In the SD prarie dog towns I use the Leicas.
KG

Gotta agree about the Leica Geovid's......

....as my old 7X42 Geovid has ranged an individual PD at 661 yards. It has the finest beam divergence of any rangefinder that I'm aware of......at 0.3 by 1.5 milliradians.

Kevin

P.S. Last year I found this.....
28aonwy.jpg

If you just want to range target stand distances and don’t really need the expense of a new range finder?
Get a roll or two of white reflective tape (the type used on trucks / trailers / trains) and make a 18x18” reflective target. Placing targets, targeting the reflector located at the shooting position, my old original Bushnell Yardage Pro would easily give returns to 999 yards or meters (the limit of the display).

If you do want a new rangefinder check out the Leica CRF 1200. :)

Alternate method for setting up targets:

Get a GPS unit for "woods" . . . Set up a waypoint at your bench and then head out for your 1000 yds or 1000 metres. You should be able to figure the math w/ a simple calculator. You get a walk in, and a chance to reconnoiter the terrain, wind, etc.

GPS these days is no longer affected by the "buffer" the Defense Dept. ran on the satellites for security. Locations are accurate to within less than 10 feet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back