1 piece base VS 2 piece base, is it stronger?

rooshooter

I have been looking at the BKL mounts for my Anschutz 54 target action and like some of their big solid 1 piece bases as weight wont be an issue for me.
Problem is, I like 2 piece bases to give better access to the loading port, no fumbling for bulets through a half blocked port. But then, does a big solid 1 piece base add any appreciable strength to my Anschutz Model 54 single shot action? If it will make it any more ridgid and possibly bring out a poofteenth degree of accuracy, then I will go this way.
Do one piece bases improve stiffness in a BR action?

Consider the other possibility. An imprecisely machined single piece base could conceivably distort the action when torqued up. A precisely machined base could distort an action if Anschutz cut the rail imprecisely. It's not like we're talking about a round or flat top action where you could bed the rail to a precision fit if necessary.

I see your point about posible distortion. I might look at the BKL weaver adapters with cutouts for the loading port (code 558). They have some metal cut away, which will allow some movement for tolerances, but maybe add some stiffness and let me use weaver mounts.
I might try to lap it into the dovetails a tad as well.

Charlie Hood makes a scope "checker". It mounts on the typical centerfire benchrest rifle and has rails for two scopes. The idea is to make sure both scopes hold point of aim from shot to shot. It's a fairly rigid piece of aluminum and pays for itself in shipping costs rather quickly if you mistrust rifle scopes.

That outta the way, some folks thought their rifle shot better while using the checker and I don't recall anyone that thought the opposite.

You might look at Millett rings. In addition to fitting dovetail and block width variations they allow for low mountings and also allow for windage and distortion adjustment, neither of which BKL does.

OK, here is what I have decided on. I wil get the big ridgid BLK 6 screw base with integral rings for my Anschutz open class BR rifle. I will lap the dovetails in to ensure perfect fit and then use some JB cold weld to bed it/secure it. For my CZ magazine fed rifle, I will go for a weaver adapter base with the loading port cutout and will try to lap it as best I can as well, not quite as stiff, but good enough for this rifle.
I suppose lapping the dovetails in will be the trick to avoiding the problems off stressing the actions through misalignment.

Last edited:
Back