1-12 twist, max bullet.

M

mmyers

What is the maximum grain bullet you can shoot in a 1-12 twist barrel in a 223?

Remington 700 PSS

60 grains shot well, 69 Siera HPBT tumbled

Information based on a presumption that 223 is .223 Rem (5.56 Nato)
It depend on the condition of the barrel , the pressure of the powder load, the length of the bullet.
Once you get to say 60 -65 grains in a .224 bullet they start to get long.
Then add a boattail and they get even longer for the same bullet weight .
You may be able to stabalise a 70 grain flat base but not a 70 grain boattail.
So it is more about bullet length.
The .223 Rem (5.56 nato) lacks powder space to drive a heavy bullet hard .
With a good powder load in a new 1 in 12 barrel I would think a 55-60 grain HPBT or a 60 to 65 grain FB should shoot accurately at close and extended range.
Berger recommends 1 in 12 up to a 64 grain bullet FB.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's bullet length not weight that determines what twist is needed. That being said; most hollow point, flatbase bullets are more or less the same length for a given weight. I have a 12" twist .22 BR and found that it shot flatbase 60 gr Berger's a bit better than 65 gr Berger's that were the same length, but neither one as well as 52/53 gr bullets.

Speer makes a 70gr "semi-spitzer" that is supposedly designed for use in 14" twist barrels, but the only time I tried it in an old .22-250 the load had to be cranked up tight to shoot sub-inch groups. The 68/69 gr HPBT match bullets are too long for a 12" twist, and need a 9" twist.

What the story is, is I'm having a new upper built by John at White oak and It is going to be a 12 twist. I told him I wanted to shoot 50gr blitzking for woodchucks and a 60gr vmax for yotes and he said the 12 would be fine those bullets, not that I'm doubting him at all, just wanted to here what you guys shoot out of your 12 twist barrels.

Back