Youth/Women Rifle

Apollo

Jason Stanley
This has nothing to do with Benchrest - but would like your opinion/knowledge on this.
My daughters (twin - 12 yr old) will be deer hunting with me this year. They seem pretty excited about shooting (.22 and 20 gauge for last 3 years) For the 2017 season, I want to buy them a rifle that I can put a custom barrel on and chamber it in the 26 Macho (short action, case design by Steve Grosvenor and myself). I do not know if I should go full blown custom yet - so will probably buy a factory and switch barrels. My question is - does Savage or Remington make a youth/women's model (any short action caliber) that you would recommend? They are not very big - so will need something with a shorter length of pull. Thanks in advance for any replies.

I noticed a similar thread - but did not want to steal.

Stanley

Jason,

damn dude, you jumped fast. Was replying to you on General and you split while hunted and pecked on the keyboard.

Remington used to do a "youth" stock for the 700. I would think they do it for the Model 7 now. It would be a good base to build a "Macho" on. Savages are great out of the box, but how many 'smiths are you familiar w/ for them? Same for me. We know a lot who could work on the Remington.
IMHO

David

Savage makes a model 11 Lady Hunter rifle. Short action calibers are 223, 243, 6.5 Creedmoor and 7mm-08.

It doesn't say what the LOP is, but it does have an American Walnut stock with a pad that could be cut down if need be.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11Lady

I'm not sure what a 26 Macho is, but I'll assume it is 6.5mm. Maybe the Creedmoor could be re-chambered.

Last edited:
I just saw a picture of the "Macho". Looks kind of stout to start a small girl on, especially in a light weight hunting rifle. You may want to consider a .243 for starters and if all goes well, then switch it over. Just a suggestion.

Howa makes a real nice short action rifle chambered in the 6.5 Grendal, that should be perfect.

deer rifle

My grand daughter started deer hunting last year and hunted this year too with 223s. Killed a big 10 point last year and a small 8 this year. Last year she shot her deer with my T-3 tikka in 223 and a 60 gr. nosler ballistic tip its a T-3 lite good for a kid to start out with. This year she used a Remington 223 sps or something like that of her dads. Recoil and noise aren't an issue with a 223. The little 60 gr. ballistic tips have worked really good but they were all close.I wouldn't try one at 300 yds. with a 223. Doug

Thanks guys for all the good information and suggestions. We are going shooting(practicing) again this weekend and I have a .243 on loan - that way the girls can decide which caliber they would rather shoot - if the shot presents itself. Thanks again.

I built my 10yo nephew a .22-250AI with a 1-8"twist barrel. We can shoot 50gr for varmints and 70gr-75gr for deer and hogs. Barnes "X" in 70gr are deadly. I put a short stock on it until he gets bigger.

I built my 10yo nephew a .22-250AI with a 1-8"twist barrel. We can shoot 50gr for varmints and 70gr-75gr for deer and hogs. Barnes "X" in 70gr are deadly. I put a short stock on it until he gets bigger.

And a 45gr Nosler Ballistic Tip will WAKK! a meatsack like who flang the cat agin'st the housewall and the pieces will rotate out of the spotting scope CLOCKWISE!

rotational energy dissipation ROCKS

Thank you for the info. Decided to go with a Rem Mod 7 in a .243. That rifle will be ready for next year. For the remainder of this season it will be the macho.

Back