Your choice of powder scale?

I was able to buy

at Radio Shack a cord that plugs into the CM and the 12V power receptacle in my Dodge Minivan. I have a plywood shelf in the back where I carry a lot of my "Stuff" which also serves as a loading bench if I have to. It seems to work ok.

If wind was a problem I could close the back and run the Cm from the middle row seats. This is just an emergency back up scheme though. The one time I had to load at a match I took the Cm inside the Clubhouse and found a quiet corner with a 110V outlet.

Last edited:
Range Scales

To me a scale is something I use to weigh the bullets I make and to check powder throws. So in my case my Ohaus 505 or Competitve Edge Dynamics electronics is all I need. I used to take my Ohaus to the BR shoots using it in the morning, hard to use a scale when the wind picks up, when I checked my powder settings. Last couple years I have been taking my CED. To me every shooter has his thrower set up to throw 1/10's. Thus you are throwing for example either 28.7 or 28.8 grn, what 1/100's are in between nobody knows at a shoot nobody cares. Equipment reports list powder loads in 1/10's.

The RCBS Chargemaster reads in 1/10's. Chargemasters are used at the Range. Some have places to plug in others provide their own power. One of my shooting buds says he uses his Chargemaster for 133 powder only. For 8208, 322, and ball powders he uses his powder thrower.

Now these 123 scales no matter whose marketing name is on them seem to get allot of press time on BRC and 6mmBR. If reading powder in 1/100's turns your crank keep at it. But in reality nobody that I see takes one to an open shooting range and trys and weigh. Many that have the 123 scales speak of a need for a controlled indoor environment to stablize the scale. Even my CED scale is useless at the range unless I can protect it from the local breezes.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

Last edited:
Just a thought

I wonder if anybody has asked RCBS if a 12V battery would suffice?

I contacted RCBS and got some person who told me whatever, and being in an uncharacteristic good mood I did not push it.Made a note to myself to try again and hopefully get someone else. I have some training in electronics. To me the transformer does the same thing as a signal conditioner.Before I bought my Chargemaster I read the review that Jason on 6mmbr did. He mentioned the noise thing. Fooy says I and plugged mine into into the same line as my laptop and the flourescent lights. I checked the charges several times and they are DEAD NUTS.I Would add that I love my Chargemaster. My loads work pretty good/better than me.
Tim Thompson
Hanover PA

I guess I assumed that everyone knows that 8 D cells, in series, gives 12 volts , and as I posted earlier Jerry Hensler has been running that setup to power his Chargemaster, for some time, with no problems. He figures that the drain is so small that it should last him a year of match use, before the batteries need replacing.

I was just looking at the Powerstream web site and they were showing their NiCad and NiMH D cells as a nominal 1.2V. That would make 8 D cells in series as 9.6V.

Oh the hell with all this battery crap. I think I'll just get a hamster in a squirrel cage with a generator and let it do all the work. :rolleyes:

OK, the carbon zinc are 1.5V and the rechargeable NiCad and NiMH are 1.2V

Good article. Been some interesting reading on other sites as well.

One of the guys at our Friday lunch bunch said that the DC -DC converter would produce too much HF. Guess the best approach is a direct battery connection without converters or inverters.

Just remembered that I got a rechargeable battery pack with the infrared sky screens for my CED chronograph. Need to dig it out and see how many batteries are in there. Might have what I need already.

I was just looking at the Powerstream web site and they were showing their NiCad and NiMH D cells as a nominal 1.2V. That would make 8 D cells in series as 9.6V.

Alkaline are more like 1.5;

I think you're right that if you prefer to use nicad or nimh, 8 would be a very reasonable number. I just can't stand rechargeables for applications like this, because rechargeables have a self-discharge that is significicant. If you took 6 or 7 alkalines in series, I think you could easily go a year.

If you do the same thing with rechargeables, it may go dead in a few months from the self discharge--unpredictably also! For my emergency radios on boat and airplane, I put ALKALINE batteries in there!!!

Just my preference. If you don't mind topping up the charge every couple months or so (which wouldn't be much work at all, of course) then go for it!
(Nicads may develop a "memory" under those conditions; would recommend NiMH instead of you plan to do it that way).

But the overall idea is good enough that I think I'm going to get me some battery holders and do it myself. Golly this is a lot of stuff to take to the range!

docsleepy

Sounds like alkaline are the way to go. With rechageables I'd probably forget to keep them up and end up with dead or weak batteries when I needed them. This is just another excuse to go to Costco or Sams to buy more stuff. My wife will probably wonder what I'm doing with so many batteries. :p

Jerry just keeps getting smarter as this thread goes on.;)

I'm not so sure. When I first started shooting it was bullseye pistol. I went to the firing line with one box slung on my shoulder that held three pistols and ammo and I carried a folding stool. Then I went to long range rifle and I had to take a shooting mat, scope w/stand, shooting coat, range box, folding stool,and rifle case. Now that I'm in benchrest I can barely fit all my gear in my long bed pickup. :eek:

Actually,
I should have said which Jerry. My bad. I meant Jerry Hensler. My first post was rather simple, describing what he has been doing and that it is working well for him. Later on I filled in some details, and then later I posed some questions. Sleepydoc was kind enough to recreate the information that Jerry had given me when I asked him about the particulars of what he is doing, and with that information Jerry's choice is beginning to make more sense to some of those reading this thread...hence my remark. Sort of like the story about the fellow who admitted that when he was 18 his dad didn't seem to know much, but as he (the son) got older, his father seemed to become increasingly intelligent. I need to make a battery pack, but first....the Chargemaster. Ugh! more krap to lug to the range:eek:

Back