"You might be a benchrest shooter"

Charles E

curmudgeon
If you sometimes say "icebox" when referring to a refrigerator, you might be a benchrest shooter.

If, when you see OMG, you think it must be a new federal agency, you might be a benchrest shooter.

If you think a Brit who's speaking about "wireless" is talking about a radio, you might be a benchrest shooter.

But "benchrest shooter" is not synonymous with "old." For example, if you drive a Buick, you're probably not a benchrest shooter.

Can y'all can think of any more?

If the smell of SC/Kroil makes you smile......................................................... you might be a benchrest shooter
If you've spent more money on tools you don't use than on the ones you do use.......you might be a benchrest shooter
If "neck tension" has nothing to do with chiropractics....
If someone mentions 'clicks' and you think "dies" or "thrower"....
If "how much are you jumping?" makes sense....
If you've ever pulled the trigger when you're not looking thru the scope..... on purpose.....
If you know what a 'Juenke' is....
If "jewel" doesn't mean gem....
If you've ever had a Jewell "lock right up" on the 5th shot....
If they take your picture when you get wood....
If "running" and "picking" have nothing to do with noses.....
If you've ever fired another one because you lost count....
If you lay awake nights thinking about good vibrations and don't do anything about it until the next day....
If you've ever lost sleep over one shot out of five....
Or out of 25...
If you've ever lost sleep over one shot....
If you get up at 3AM to write stuff down....
If you've ever lost that awesome idea you DID'T write down at 3AM...
If you'll voluntarily get up at 3AM to drive for hours to poke holes in paper....
If you've ever been pissed because you got up at 3AM to drive to the range without your XXX?? all because you DIDN'T get up at 2AM and write it down....
If you've ever been relieved that all you forgot was food and drink....
If you've ever given someone a blow-by-blow account of poking holes in paper....
If you've ever LISTENED to a blow-by-blow account of poking holes in paper, and not been bored....
If you hate ranges that face east....
If you hate a tailwind....
AND a headwind....
If "consistent" is really the only weather term you care about....
If you've ever walked around looking for your muffs (they're on your head)....
If you've ever walked around looking for your glasses (they're on your head)....
If you've ever forgot your muffs back at the reloading table and thought "maybe I'll just tough it out"....
If you've ever forgot to tighten your rest....
If you've ever forgot to adjust your parallax....
If you've ever forgotten to check the number on your target....
If you've ever been on the line with no primers....
If you've ever pulled a bullet on a cease-fire....
If you've ever cleaned the powder out of your action using an old slotted cleaning jag....
If you KNOW that "blowing in there" ain't gonna' get it done. But ya' do it anyway.....
And then ask around for an old slotted cleaning jag....
If you've learned to take your bolt apart on the line using your car keys....
If you know how to get that pesky piece of primer out, on the line with only those car keys....
If you've ever BANGED a 300.00 bolt on the bench...
If you've ever BANGED a 300.00 bolt with a ball peen hammer....
If you've ever pulled your bolt out of your pocket and thought "I GOTTA get one a' those holsters!"....
If you've ever sat down and thought "I GOTTA' get one a' those holsters!"....
If you've ever wondered "does the holster go on in front of the leatherman or behind the cellphone?"....
If you've ever wandered around looking for your bolt....
If you've ever stood talking to someone while looking into their gunbarrel, comfortably....
If you've ever spent nine hours buggering up 50 perfectly good cases....
If you've ever spent nine more hours trying to FIX those buggered cases.....
If you've ever bought a reamer because "well, you have those 50 buggered cases".....
If your jeans have a permanent grease stain on the front from rolling cases....
If your wife's ever asked you "honey, why does the oven smell funny?"....
If the black stuff under your thumbnail is carbon....
If you've ever woke up tasting solvent in the back of your throat....
If you've ever wondered "maybe I should wear some of those gloves".....
If you've ever dropped anything in the porta-john....
If you wash your hands before you pee....

......... you might be a benchrest shooter

.....if the most important tool in your shooting box is the $7.95 Radio Shack Temp/ Humidity monitor.....and you find yourself looking at it more than the topless pin-up photos pasted in your neighbors reloading box.

.....you swear never to buy another Nalgeen bottle with a plug.

..... saying to yourself :what am I missing?...why is everyone else shooting in "THAT" condition?

Al you put some thought into those, thank you my friend they are all true and funny! They should be published!

I would like to video a changing of the flags some day > I sit back and crack-up. You've got the yellers, old men trying to figure out how the walkie talkie works, signalers and everyone seems to always be in a hurry to set flags before the backer are up! Then do it again when backers are up!

MAC

In anticipation of wind conditions on Match day, enroute to the range,you observe flags at Car Dealerships,Office buildings,schools, Airports(Windsocks) etc. You even notice tree limbs,bushes,tall grass,anything that will give you a clue as to what to expect at the "Commence Fire" Command. You get in the habit of watching all kinds of wind indicators,even when there is no scheduled Match. All Benchrest shooters do it.

In anticipation of wind conditions on Match day, enroute to the range,you observe flags at Car Dealerships,Office buildings,schools, Airports(Windsocks) etc. You even notice tree limbs,bushes,tall grass,anything that will give you a clue as to what to expect at the "Commence Fire" Command. You get in the habit of watching all kinds of wind indicators,even when there is no scheduled Match. All Benchrest shooters do it.

There was never a truer statement!

Ha,ha! You bet we all do it.Ain't it funny how that stuff is just constantly rolling around in a shooter's head?

Which brings us to this:

If, on a windy & gusty day, you say out loud to whomever you're with..."Sure glad I'm not shootin' today." .... and they have no idea what you mean; you might be a benchrest shooter.

Or.
OH, MAN !!! Look at that condition. Wow. I could get me a small one with that......

Looking out the lunchroom window. At the company's flag poles.......:)

Dear God, I'm not alone!

If someone publishes a photo of you coming out of the little green building at Bristol...you might be a benchrest shooter~~

If someone publishes a photo of you coming out of the little green building at Bristol...you might be a benchrest shooter~~

Anybody that hasn't been in that little green building on a Sunday in July doesn't know how funny that really was. I scrolled down to add the following and found your post:

If you take a cup of coffee and a newspaper into a porta potty...you may be a benchrest shooter....

Dear God, I'm not alone!

MEGA DITTO's....! ;)

cale

Last edited by a moderator:
If you buy primers by the thousands and powder by the jugs you might be ....
If you ahhhh @#$ (for missing a condition) or other word can be heard above 25 other shooters....
If you have dreams or nightmares about wind flags......

Back