You do the hokey cokey

H

Hambone

I'm planning on doing some trials over the next few months around different scope mounting options. 1 piece, 2 piece, 2 rings in front of the turrets, 1 ring in front.
I even thinking about using a 30mm rear ring and holding a 26mm scope in the rear ring using some adhesive silicon pads that I have.

Has anyone else experimented with various scope mountings options and what were the results?

You put your right leg in,.
Your right leg out:
In, out, in, out.
You shake it all about.
You do the hokey cokey,
And you turn around.
That's what it's all about!

I've experimented quite a bit with the conventional method and can't imagine anything better. I wouldn't be too put out if I had to shoot with a single ring but wouldn't waste any effort deliberately.

I'm planning on doing some trials over the next few months around different scope mounting options. 1 piece, 2 piece, 2 rings in front of the turrets, 1 ring in front.
I even thinking about using a 30mm rear ring and holding a 26mm scope in the rear ring using some adhesive silicon pads that I have.

Has anyone else experimented with various scope mountings options and what were the results?

You put your right leg in,.
Your right leg out:
In, out, in, out.
You shake it all about.
You do the hokey cokey,
And you turn around.
That's what it's all about!

Why do you think there is a deficiency in scope mounts?............Don

Over the last few months I have been doing a small amount of research on improving rifle accuracy and the subject got me intrigued. But I could find nothing conclusive as to what helped and what didn't. So have decided the only way is to do a bit of testing for myself. If nothing else it will give me something to work on in the hope of getting that edge over the bunch of guys I shoot with. (I've had my ass whooped more times this year than ever before on our group shoots).

I've no interest in sinking huge sums of cash into my BRRF shooting. So small relatively cheap improvements are the name of the game around. here.

Goin' out a low, short and big limb here with a prediction. If you don't make a "core" change to your rifle, the ass whooping will continue.

sniff , sniff, yes its true williams stuff does stink..............

Goin' out a low, short and big limb here with a prediction. If you don't make a "core" change to your rifle, the ass whooping will continue.

I came to a similar conclusion. Hence my forth coming tuner build project and my intended scope mounting trials. Plus I'm gonna start testing a few batches of R50, and Match rather than just shoot what I grabbed out of the ammo safe. These boys I shoot with are starting to take our rfbr friendlies serious. I'm guessing I'm gonna have to do the same.

I came to a similar conclusion. Hence my forth coming tuner build project and my intended scope mounting trials. Plus I'm gonna start testing a few batches of R50, and Match rather than just shoot what I grabbed out of the ammo safe. These boys I shoot with are starting to take our rfbr friendlies serious. I'm guessing I'm gonna have to do the same.

Just trying to help because I don't like to get beat any more than the next guy. I tried to infer what I'm about to write in the last post but it didn't work out. Very, very likely, you're getting beat by rifles that shoot more consistently than your rifle. Changing the "stuff" on your rifle or adding more "stuff" won't help. Save your time and money and just haul off and buy a more accurate rifle. Chances are, that's what other guys did but you would know that.

Incidentally, this advice applies universally and I can't be convinced otherwise.

Ah, I see.

I'm confident that they haven't been and invested serious money in new "more accurate" rifles as they hold similar views on such matters as I do. Could be wrong of course and they have had a 180deg change of opinion.

What I am certain of is that they have been testing ammo and trying tuners. Fortunately for me I own a very accurate rifle in its own right. I just need to tweak and improve a few thing in order to get the last degree of performance out of the darn thing. Hence my test and trial program for this winter.

OK - if you're sure they don't all have new barrels I suppose it's a "tweaking" game...for now. Good luck!

I shall persevere. LOL

Who was it that said a persistent man makes his own luck?

The harder I worked, the LUCKIER I got. I heard this one at a Nascar Driver interview. " If winning was easy, the losers would be doing it".

Having watched the FI Japanese Grand Prix on Sunday. Vettle got handed that victory on a plate before the second corner of the first lap. Not a lot of hard work involved that afternoon.

All said and done, it's about the barrels. At the cost of the other stuff, it's all about the barrels, assuming one has a reliable platform. A great barrel will make up for a lot of futzing and being teased into thinking one is almost there.

All said and done, it's about the barrels. At the cost of the other stuff, it's all about the barrels, assuming one has a reliable platform. A great barrel will make up for a lot of futzing and being teased into thinking one is almost there.

True enough! And...some of the "reliable platforms" have quite a knack for finding a great barrel.

I read that a lot of those supposedly great MI barrels are now tomato canes.

Great barrel or great ammo which comes first?

Back