You Burris guys; Fine Plex reticle VS Ballistic Mil Dot reticle for target shooting?

VaniB

I'd appreciate it if somebody that owns more then one Burris scopes can tell me if the intersecting lines on the ballistic reticle is the same thickness as the lines on the fine plex reticle?

I want to be able to do very accurate paper punching at 100 yards and 32x power by using the center intersecting lines of the mil-dot reticle. Is it as fine as the fineplex?

burris

i have the 8x32 with fine crosshair mouted on savage 223 no problems or complaints. wish it had the mill dot for prarie dogs but the fine crosshair is better for target shooting

the FPX recticle is .05 @ 32x , .19 @ 8x. the BMD is .18 @ 14x.so the answer would be no

Last edited:
Unlike other scopes, Burris uses a fine X to Heavy X, Where as most fine X are one size for the entire reticle. For Target the fine is a better choice, and no the intersecting lines are not the same size. Also the X hairs do seem to get samller as the target increases in size at higher magnification, but will appear to increase in size as distance to the same size target increases.

I will post a link where you can see the specs. But if reticle intersection size is what you are looking for, I would go with the ballistic plex instead of mil-dot as the specs are better and the plex is easier to use. I own both a fine X and a Ballistic plex.

http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopespecs2.html

Good Shooting
DR

I've got both scopes new in box, and unopened. I intend to keep one scope and sell the other scope unopened. But, I really prefer to keep the bal mil-dot for target shooting IF IT WILL WORK.

While I know that the fine plex is perfect fo 100 yard target shooting, the scope will be mounted on a varmint rifle. I'd really prefer the ballistic mil-dot reticle for hunting, but my question is; can it double up for me and be good enough for precision 1/4" MOA target shooting at 100 yards? (I'm referring to the intersectcting lines of the mil-dot, and not the dot itself)

If all you are doing is shooting for groups the heaver plex cross hairs can sometimes be used more percisely by using the edges of the cross hairs and placing a small round target in one quadrant of the cross hairs. This allows double duty from a field scope. It can be harder to use hold off this way for wind but it can be done ok. This would allow you to use one scope for both but there are compromises.

Either crosshair will still be smaller than a 22cal @ 100 yds. the FPX is just smaller. But remember that the BMD is Calculated @ 14x so like other Mil scopes your ranging is done at a set mag. Burris 's is @ 14x,although with a little math and some shooting to varify you can use it at all magnifications. A good Crono and actual B.C info will be needed also . Are these the Blk. Dia. or Sig. Sel. scopes ? I have several of the older Sig. series with the Shutter AO (Daylight /Twilight)in 6x24 and 3 of the Blk Dia. 1,6x24 fpx and 1, 8x32 Fpx 1 8x32 BMD. At the real long ranges the BMD gets a little thick, the FPX is mutch better on small critters PDs etc. You can use the recticle substentions and different magnifications on the FPX as a better range estimater in opinion.BTW. in case your wondering I REALLY LOVE MY BURRIS's

Last edited:
Roger,

I'm glad I found you. Because with your owning the two different reticles in question, you can probably tell what is the best compromise to suit my needs.

I have two new Black Diamond 8x-32x side-focus in both the fine plex and Bal mil-dot to choose from. 99% of the time that I do ever get to spend shooting my 16 lb custom 22x47L varmint rifle will be for target shooting. However, I built this rifle with the intent of shooting PD out at 400-700 yards someday if I get the chance. I really don't want to have to change scopes on my rifle just to do PD hunting some day.

Though I have very little field experience, I prefer to use hold-over for long shots, rather then dial-in. But, I'm affraid that with the fine plex reticle, I will have no really good means to estimate elevation or windage on long distance shots, as there is no reference marks on the fine plex as there is on the bal-mil-dot.

I would imagine that after a while of shooting at the PD's out at 400-500 yards, you start to know just where to hold the mil dot in relation to the dog. But, would I be just as successful trying to shoot dogs that distance with a fine-plex without reference points? This is why I was hoping that the center crosshairs of the ballistic mil-dot reticle is fine enough to use for the 100 yard target shooting. I'm hoping it will serve dual purposes well enough. (??) Naturally, I will have the power turned up to 32x for target shooting at 100 yards, and pobably more like 20X magnification out at PD's at 400-600+ yards.

If you can tell me that I would be just as successfull at judging hold-over using a fine plex reticle, then I'd be happy to choose it, as I will spend more time shooting paper with it anyway.

The 8x32 BMD will help more with the wind HOLD OFFs, and it does give you SET yardage marks (you need to find where your bullet actually intersects tho)then workout your own drop table hash mark wise vs yardage. It is a challenge to try to MIL a PD on it's haunches or laying down (using the top set of Mil dots) .I think (for me anyhow) it's easier to use the dimentions of the FPX + the varying scope magnification to range with. In the end I guess I would say the BMD has a few more +s :D......But I'm not giving up my FPXs:p The BMD does come with a referance for a few standard and magnum carts. and bullet weights. IF you shoot those Carts. and specific bullets the hash marks are fairly close at the specified speeds. I tried this with a 22-250 and 7mm mag. But the BMD is on a 6-284 now so it's not even close at their specified yardages.

Last edited:
Thanks Rog,

You are the second person who owns both Burris reticles, and to tell me the fine-plex will work just fine.

From what I'm hearing you and others say; if I am going to be using the ballistic-mil dot scope at different yardages during a PD hunt, and possibly changing the magnification too, then the mil-dot system is likely to get confusing, as the values will always be changing. And we are talking about a really small animal here.

So, I think having my eyes trained on one center fine-plex crosshair, and using the "one or two prarie dog body width" (or length) system of estimating will work as well if not better for me then the busy bal-mil dot.

As I said, I will be using the rifle 99% of the time for paper target shooting anyway.....so feel safer with the fine-plex.

I appreciate the input by all those on this thread:)
THANKS!

I have a Bushnell 4200 Elite 8x32x40mm that had the plex changed to mil-dot by Bushnell for me. When I sight the dots at 100 yds at 32 power it is smaller than a 22 cal. hole in the target. I do not know about the Burris mil-dots though.

"Aim small miss small", :D

gt40

Last edited by a moderator:
Back