Yet another Chargemaster test:

Peter,

Are you still running your CM in the faster mode?

Octopus

Pete, some are not lucky, just better wind flag readers. Determining a condition that is consistent is key. Some never find one all day long, while others "discover" one in match one and either rediscover it or a new one each match. Randy J.

Pete-I'm glad you like that gadget. However, I have an old(20 yrs) Redding BR-2. that eguals that in half the time. I just reloaded about 400 rounds for a PD shoot. I check every 10-20 rds. I loaded 40 in a row and every 10 rd check was on the money!!!!! Those things might be "wonderful" but I reloaded hunting loads for years with Lee loader scoops and never missed game. How did Dan'l Boone survive? I guess all the electronic wondermints out there just don't impress me. V/R Greg

Peter,

Are you still running your CM in the faster mode?

Octopus

Yes Jon,

I have found the faster mode gives way more over-charges. I have gone to setting a lower charge and trickling up by fingers- works well. I have done that for years with other scales.

Pete-I'm glad you like that gadget. However, I have an old(20 yrs) Redding BR-2. that eguals that in half the time. I just reloaded about 400 rounds for a PD shoot. I check every 10-20 rds. I loaded 40 in a row and every 10 rd check was on the money!!!!! Those things might be "wonderful" but I reloaded hunting loads for years with Lee loader scoops and never missed game. How did Dan'l Boone survive? I guess all the electronic wondermints out there just don't impress me. V/R Greg

Greg, as I'm sure you know, there is a heck of a difference between hitting at least 23 - 1/16" dots and even a lowly Prapie Dog. For instance, there is a fellow who pracices with his "High Power" rifle @ our club. I watched hm shoot one evening and he had about 2" of verticle in his group @ 200 yds. I mentioned it and he said, Heck, that good enough for what I am doing. It's all a matter of degrees. I ranted about the accuracy of the Lee $20. powder measure years ago along with the late Frank Murphy. Yes, they are as accurate as any other measure but they , in reality, aren't accurate at all. I can appreciate how you feel but for some folks, good enough won't ever be good enough.

right.........
what did you check it with ???
a beam scale the is plus or minus .1 on a good day ???
thats what this thread is about...not accepting plus or minus .1......................
not accepting what has been considered "br acceptable"..... in the past..things change...and this is a place for improvement..an opportunity to move ahead.
mike in co

Pete, some are not lucky, just better wind flag readers. Determining a condition that is consistent is key. Some never find one all day long, while others "discover" one in match one and either rediscover it or a new one each match. Randy J.

Randy, you are right about that but the best wind reader with ammo that shoots, at best, .500 doesn't have much of a chance, regardless of how well they read the wind.

Before I finish with Benchrest I would like to be the Tuner for a real good shooter just to see if a great shooter with equipment and Ammo as good as it can be could excel or at least do better. In most racing, the Pit Crew are a very big part of the effort. I think this situation may exist in some of the Shooting Sports but I don't think we see much of it.

How much better would a real good shooter do if they never had to be concerned about their rifle or ammo, it would simply be there? I know more then one guy who tunes at the matches because he has no time or inclination to do otherwsie. How good a shooter is he, really, fooling around like that? How many exes did he give up with a wrong seating depth or thrown charges?

Last edited:
Back