Yesterdays experience dialing in a barrel

I don't believe that teen aggs are in the chambering. I think that teen aggs are in the barrel itself and in load preparation and components. I remember a prominent 'smith up in Va. taking a good barrel and screwing up the chamber several different ways, putting the barrel back on and it didn't shoot much different from one screw up to the other. Also there was an article in Precision Shooting years ago about someone taking a barrel and screwing up the crown several different ways and all it did was change point of impact on target. These examples are no excuse for poor machining but I think it shows that the most potential for an accurate barrel is in the barrel bore itself. Now if there was just some way I could peer down the bore of a barrel and say whether this one will shoot or not...

clowdis, You are pretty much correct. I think most of us would be better off putting bullets down range instead of looking for the extra tenth. It is fun discussing the ultimate way to chamber a barrel, but very few barrels are ruined by an imperfect chambering job.

Back