XP-100 barrel

Indexing is the gorilla in the living room; it being the mandatory step one. My head spins with all the variables that could follow. I'm hoping to avoid lathe work.
F1

Update: The barrel that Justin was very kind to send came today. Preliminary check reveals about 170° of crush to index. That means about .025 has to come off the recoil lug or barrel shoulder, right? I was thinking that the rib/sights may not be do-able, but I am not ready to give up just yet.
F1

That's a lot to take off the lug, but the .221 doesn't have much recoil... And there would be trouble with the tenon/counterbore. If I use the lug to set headspace, might not even have to buy a reamer.

That's a lot to take off the lug, but the .221 doesn't have much recoil... And there would be trouble with the tenon/counterbore. If I use the lug to set headspace, might not even have to buy a reamer.

Fussy,
By turning the barrel further into the receiver to get the sights & stamping right, neither the counter bore or the headspace will be right. If you haven't fitted a barrel before, I suggest you get a gunsmith to do the job.

Regards,
Ron

Now youre getting into the reason a gunsmith would prefer to chamber a barrel from scratch than fit a pre-chambered rig. Lots faster too contrary to what you'd think

Thanks, guys. To update, I hand tightened the barrel against the lug, pulled out the lug, and contnued tightening the barrel until it came to rest against the bolt nose. I measured the remaining shoulder-to-receiver gap, and it was .178". So, it looks like bolt nose to barrel gap is .010", which sounds about right. I don't have headspace gauges, yet.

I don't understand why Rem. barrels are not better indexed. Do receiver front to bolt face dimensions vary a lot? Large variations in tenon length?

Thanks for tolerating a newbie,
F1

"I don't understand why Rem. barrels are not better indexed. Do receiver front to bolt face dimensions vary a lot? Large variations in tenon length?"

No, there are not Large variations in tenon length.

Usually a Rem barrel will screw on another action & headspace, etc correctly. It's just that stamping & sights won't line up properly because those operations are done after the barrel was on the original receiver. The threads in Rem and Savage receivers are not timed because there is no need to do so. Would you really want to pay more for the exact same rifle, just so one person in a million could interchange barrels?

Regards,
Ron

Well, I think I'd pay a little more. ;-) It does look like manufacturers are slowly trending toward the Savage concept.
F1

UPDATE: Just tried another original barrel. It turns about 35 degrees past index. It would require a shim, or a thicker lug. If the headspace is then excessive, would it be a reasonable option to fire-form cases to compensate? Or, I guess I could re chamber to .222. This could be a little dicey because of the very quick barrel taper. Thanks, from a newbie! :confused:

Would a .020 gap between the bolt face and the barrel face be safe? I will see to it that the headspace is OK... one way or another.

Update: Just picked up yet another barrel. It too, would require a recoil lug shim for it to index. ? Did not measure exactly, but probably .015 - .020. I wish I had access to a whole mess of barrels!

I'm starting to think about throwing in the towel. The goal was a was a near-perfect restoration, but this appears to be very unlikely. FWIW, the individual that unwisely cut off the barrel of an un-fired XP is very remorseful!
F1

PS: Another eBay barrel auction will be ending in a couple of hours... ?

During production, does Remington torque in their barrels, and then do some final reaming/headspacing? Are stamping, and sight installation final steps?

I reckon convincing us that sightless barrels look cool was a money-saver for all manufacturers. Personally, I think they should be at least drilled/plug-screwed. The same for sling-swivels. Just thinking out loud.

Not sure of how they do it Now BUT when the XP's were in production the 700's were chambered and THEN bolt' were checked for correct headspace until one was found that was correct Hence that is why the serial # on the bolt is "scribbled on"

Jim

One last time

If you are trying to buy yet another barrel that will screw on your action & have the stampings/rib/sight come up in the correct position, YOU ARE WASTING YOUR MONEY.

You could buy hundreds of barrels & none be "right", because the position of the threads is purely random on Remington, Savage, & I bet on all modern rifles.

IN GENERAL, on a factory Rem receiver, both bolts & barrels will swap & the headspace be ok. The sight holes & stamping are done after the barrel is on the receiver, so there's no reason to have the receiver threads cut "in time". That does not mean everything is not precise. It means they designed the manufacturing process so the position of the threads in the receiver is irrelevant.

Regards,
Ron

Thanks, Jim and Ron! I had been hoping to find one that needed just a little ground off the lug. In that case, I guess the counterbore may have had to be deepened, and the chamber reamed just a little.

PS: eBay closed at $36.35. I reckon I'm not the only one chasing a wild goose! ? BTW, someone has one listed for $219.70 "buy it now." ?

Back