XP-100 barrel

F

Fussy1

Help Wanted: Bought an original .221 barrel on eBay; which was described as having some surface rust. I could live with the rust, even though some of the pits are pretty deep. There is an area on the top of the barrel that has some cold blue on it, just ahead of the chamber. That has been heavily filed/ground/sanded?, to the point that is very noticable. I figured that the rib would disguise most of it. The big problem arose while viewing an exploded view (which I can't find again), when I noticed that there was a dovetail cut in the barrel in the same area that all the grinding was done. In a nutshell, I'm concerned that the barrel originally had a dovetail, and that it has been welded up. This would make the barrel too dangerous to use, IMO. I would appreciate any information you can offer. I guess I return/ refund may be in order, presuming the seller cooperates. His listing did say that there were no returns...

Those barrels are so thin any pits are too deep. You should go for a new barrel and not take a chance on somebody elses problem. They usually get bent up beyond use removing them anyway

Fussy1,

I may have a take off barrel for a XP100 in Fireball laying around my shop somewhere...with no grind marks. I'll look, and it's yours for the price of shipping. If you don't hear from me in a day or two, send me a reminder post....my memory ain't what it used to be. It seems I'm always meeting new people...

Justin

Zebra13, I would appreciate that very much. Then, I can tell the unresponsive seller what he can do with his barrel! ;-) I am trying to restore an otherwise-new XP-100 that is missing its barrel.

Fussy1,

I did some machining on the XP barrel I have in the shop, so it ain't gonna work. I got another one though...still screwed into an action. Gimme some time, and I'll pull it off. Do you need the rib also?

Justin

Justin, I think the rib is OK. I will PM you my eMail, and address. I expect this project to be a head-scratcher, trying to get the sights indexed vertically, and the headspace right. Breaking out the surface plate, and height gauge...
Fussy1

Justin, I think the rib is OK. I will PM you my eMail, and address. I expect this project to be a head-scratcher, trying to get the sights indexed vertically, and the headspace right. Breaking out the surface plate, and height gauge...
Fussy1

Index with the thickness of the recoil lug

Good idea. I reckon three scenarios:

Indexes perfectly, with correct headspace. If so, will head out to buy a lottery ticket.

" " , chamber short, shim or make thicker lug, or use a .221 Rem reamer.

" " , chamber long, grind lug, or use a .222 Rem reamer, re-stamp caliber on barrel...

If indexing way off, back to the drawing board. Keeping fingers crossed. An original appearance is the goal.

Thanks all,
Fussy1

There is a threaded hole about .250 in front of the shoulder. Will try to use that, mostly; I don't much trust those 3 little spot-welded+threaded rib mount tubes. Any suggestions re scribing an inconspicuous line on the receiver/barrel for repeatabllity... with the lug in the way?

Just wondering.

During production, does Remington torque in their barrels, and then do some final reaming/headspacing? Are stamping, and sight installation final steps?

I reckon convincing us that sightless barrels look cool was a money-saver for all manufacturers. Personally, I think they should be at least drilled/plug-screwed. The same for sling-swivels. Just thinking out loud.

I seen on one of those how its made type shows the roll stamping with the action in place. In mass production id hate to think they were trying to index them to match

Thanks! I have noticed thar receiver markings are usually de-burred/polished, and barrel markings are still proud. Makes it easier to spot a re-blue. :cool:

And, those old Winchesters had integral front sight ramps!

Last edited by a moderator:
The receiver threads in a Remington action are not timed. So the barrel may headspace just fine, but the roll stamping & the rib will not line up properly. You can fit the barrel so the rib & stamping are right, & then rechamber to the correct headspace. JMHO.
Regards,
Ron

I am hoping they are at least semi-timed. "The Power of Positive Thinking" ;-)

Back