WSM Reamer Design

J

JR_@_SAHUARO_1K

I have been looking at some of the Match Reports and see that there are 300 WSM's doing very well. Not wanting and Hoping - to not do my own thing - is anyone willing to share a good reamer print and or manufacture with me? Would like to use the JLK or Berger 210's with it.

JR

i think you will see the move has been to 230 berger hybreds....
so chamber based on that

Can you give data on why this is better than the JLK 210's - the 210's have lots of great groups in 1K matches.

JR

the 210 is in the past and the 230 is in the future....
i do not know..
i have bib 187's,210's and 208amaxes....

and a broken arm so not much data.

on a windy day the big 30's keep the fast dasher 6's at bay.....
(even the military FINALY went up from their 300 win mag 190's)

Well I do agree that when shooting NBRSA format the dasher can't keep up but the I don't agree that the 210's are in the past... even if they are they shoot shoot shoot.

Having said that I will have to try them out.

JR

My heavy gun is a 300WSM, I'll pull the print and let you know. I set it up to shoot 210's but would think 230's wouldn't be a problem. More bullet, weight less powder, so you can seat the bullet deeper.

210 in WSM

I know quite a few shooters who do shoot the 210's in the WSM. I personally don't know anyone shooting the 230's in a WSM, but I'm sure there are some. I shoot the 230's in my 308 Baer heavy gun which is a larger case similar to a 300 Ackley. I have a light gun in 308 Baer with 11 twist and it shoots the 210's (Sierra, or Berger). I have another change barrel gun in 12 twist (308 Baer) that I only shoot 200 Sierra's.

I've just started shooting a light gun in the 300 WSM, and I'm shooting Berger 210 hunting vld's in it. I also have some JLK 210's to try. I also have a heavy gun with a 300 WSM barrel, but at the moment it is a 6.5x47L. I'm going to play with the 6.5X47L first.

Check the equipment lists( I think you already have) and that will tell you everything you need to know re: the 210's. My WSM'S are both 10 twist, but plenty are shooting 11 twist. With a 12 twist I shoot 200 Sierra's.

My reamer is .337 neck, but my freebore is .137. I wanted to play with seating depth. My gunsmith finished throating the barrel after it was chambered. I had it throated so the boatail is just below the neck shoulder junction. I have read posts where people are using .200 to .250 freebore, with .230 to .250 for the .215 Hybrids.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions. Regards, Waverly

Last edited:
How many Rnds expected?

What Kind of round count per barrel can be expected - 1500 to 3000?

JR

The300 WSM reamer I have has a .338" neck and .145 free bore. The Norma brass I have has a .0153 average neck thickness, so cleanup is needed. I would think 1400 to 1800 rounds, depending on several factors would be about right for guilt edge accuracy.

300 wsm

JR,

Waverly gave you some good info. The WSM case is great for 210 vlds, but I would caution you about trying heavier bullets. We tried everything above 210s when the case first came out and found that the 210 vlds were the best choice.

As far as barrel life, I have not wore one out yet with the 300 WSM. The first gun was a HG with a 1.450" Hart and it went over 4500 rounds and was still very competitive. I had Clay Spencer put a new one on it 5 or 6 years ago and I haven't even shot it yet.

My biggest issue with the cartridge is finding quality brass. I used Winchester for all of the shooting that I did, as I didn't like how soft Norma brass was, but others have done well with it.

Good luck,

Danny

Danny,

Thanks for the Info - I do like the fact that the WSM may last longer that 1500 rnds. Also, who made you reamer - can you send me a copy of the print?

JR

The first one was made by Clymer, but it was not done correctly. I replaced it because somewhere along the line it got bent. If you want to order one, put together a cartridge as you want to chamber it. Make so the boat tail is below the neck shoulder junction. If you are to shoot VLDs, you want the bullet just kissing the lands. If it gets a running start before contacting the lands, you will have pressure issues. Mine cuts a .336" neck, so that there is just enough room for expansion when fired. measured necks with bullet seated measure about.332"
Also, H4350 powder is the best I have found with my guns.

Good Luck, Danny

210's, most of the top shooters at Williamsport launchem, I'd hardly say they're a thing of the past!!

I believe springmans reamer has a .212 freebore. Having had one, it is perfect for 210 vld's and 215 hybrids. Those 2 bullets are top choices for wsm as for 1k benchrest.

Tom

JR,

Waverly gave you some good info. The WSM case is great for 210 vlds, but I would caution you about trying heavier bullets. We tried everything above 210s when the case first came out and found that the 210 vlds were the best choice.

As far as barrel life, I have not wore one out yet with the 300 WSM. The first gun was a HG with a 1.450" Hart and it went over 4500 rounds and was still very competitive. I had Clay Spencer put a new one on it 5 or 6 years ago and I haven't even shot it yet.

My biggest issue with the cartridge is finding quality brass. I used Winchester for all of the shooting that I did, as I didn't like how soft Norma brass was, but others have done well with it.

Good luck,

Danny

Did Clay use your reamer?

Back