Working with 2" Dia barrels

Leeroy

Machinest / Gunsmith
G'day Gents

As the title says I've had a few inquiries from customers about fitting 2" dia barrels. I thread and chamber through the headstock, but my lathe only has a 1.6" spindle bore so I'm looking at some kind of mini "Headstock" setup on the bed way with a 2.5" bore to effectively allow me to still set them up and chamber as normal..
I recall a post here a while back of a similar setup but i can't find it..
Anyone have any experience with this situation?

Cheers
Leeroy

I'm like Dave, but what reputable barrel maker makes 2" blanks?
Hart, Pac-Nor, & I'm sure there are others. Dave chambered up a Hart 1.75 (almost 2 inches) for my original 10-inch BAT, in .30 SHV. That BAT is 2 inches in diameter, except for the small flat on the top & bottom.

Dave did this on his smaller Nardini. It won it's share of wood -- the real wood they used at Hawks Ridge back in the '90s!

Thanks for the reply's so far fellas, but i'm not too keen on chambering anything between centers, let alone a barrel that's supposed to be the highest end of long range accuracy. I like to have em dialed in dead nuts at the throat, which simply isn't possible (except by shear luck) doing it on a steady..

Cheers
Leeroy

2" Barrels

I do long barrels in a steady rest.My lathe has a 1.5" spindle bore.Actually.... doing a chamber in a steady rest has advantages..... realize first you must have the bore/throat i.d... concentric with the o.d......and the chucking point also....
I was taught to do this by one of the greatest gunsmiths/barrel maker/internationally known proof barrel maker ever....now in his 70`s still shoots competitively.
As with thru the headstock chambering.... they come out as good as the set-up.....

Thanks for the reply's so far fellas, but i'm not too keen on chambering anything between centers, let alone a barrel that's supposed to be the highest end of long range accuracy. I like to have em dialed in dead nuts at the throat, which simply isn't possible (except by shear luck) doing it on a steady..

Cheers
Leeroy

There was a thread a while back that had a cats head bushing/ bearing that was fitted to a steady rest. This set up would allow fine tuning of the setup.

Back