Wolf standard small rifle primers

JonathanK

I recently acquired a couple thousand Wolf standard small rifle primers, and was planning on using them for benchrest. I shoot a Cobra (small firing pin) action with up to 30 gn N133, and 30.4 gn Benchmark in PPC pushing a 68 gn bullet. I heard that these primers may blank under high pressure, but Im not sure. Any input on performance, or any safety issues would be greatly appreciated. JK

I recently acquired a couple thousand Wolf standard small rifle primers, and was planning on using them for benchrest. I shoot a Cobra (small firing pin) action with up to 30 gn N133, and 30.4 gn Benchmark in PPC pushing a 68 gn bullet. I heard that these primers may blank under high pressure, but Im not sure. Any input on performance, or any safety issues would be greatly appreciated. JK

Probably not worth messing up that clean boltface in your Cobra... NICE action BTW... I hear these Standard SR primers are indeed soft and could still pierce even though the Stiller actions may very well help prevent this... Not worth the risk IMOP...

Pretty sure Powder Valley has plenty of SRM in stock.... Fine primer and tough too.

cale

Wolf

One could say I'm a fan of Wolf Primers. I use them in everything; BR rifles, AR-15s, Bolt Guns....

Primers.jpg

People who have used the standard small rifle primers say the cups are too soft/ thin to hold up to PPC pressures. I use the the SRM's (based on advice from people with experience) & they are great in everything I've tried them in so far, one tough primer. I would love to have some of the standard small rifle for use in my Hornets, should be the ideal primer of what's available currently. So far I haven't been willing to pay hazmat to find out.

Adrian, your one of those terrible horders................:D:D:D;):D:p

I'm guilty........................too.
:p

cale

One could say I'm a fan of Wolf Primers. I use them in everything; BR rifles, AR-15s, Bolt Guns....

Primers.jpg

So thats where all the primers went. No wonder nobody else can find any. Hope our present administration in Washington does not see this. They will have to confiscate them and "redistribute the wealth".

John

For what its worth

I have pierced standard wolf primers in one of my Pandas. One of my actions has the smaller fireing pin and I never had any problems with it.The one with the large pin does pierce them.Before I got a supply of the SRM's I had to bring a fireing pin removal tool to the bench with me to remove the "cups" that got behind the fireing pin Very interupting during a match.

Careful how many you buy till you find out if there compatible with your rifle. Some are having problems with hang-fires and failures.

wolf small rifle primers

Larry most of those were from not seating the primers all the way.
Also some had small problems with a light firing pin spring.
That was with the small rifle mags.

Then I think I must have a problem with two rifles. I took special care to double seat the primers after the first failure and a few hangs. I have Rem with a kiff bolt but it has the factory pin and spring and I have a Lawton witch I think also has a kiff bolt. Yesterday while testing the new primers in a 6.5x47 with H4350 out of 45 I had 5 failures to fire. I did give them all a second chance, no joy. Previously I first tried them in the Rem 30x47 with RL 10x I had a lot of hangs and 2 fails. That's when I went looking around and saw what others were reporting. So I tried again paying extra attention to seating the primers with my K&M tool and was able tell when the anvil made contact and then the cup bottomed out. When I went to shoot them I didn't get any more failures but the hangs were still there. I might try switching out the pins and springs between the two bolts and see what happens. BTW both of these rifles fire CCI, Rem and Fed primers flawlessly.

It may be that the Russian small rifles are right on the edge of hot enough to work in some applications. Years ago, a friend had a Cheetah (blown out .308 sized case with small primer, necked down to .22 cal. ) that needed small rifle magnum primers for ball powders in cool weather. It may be that for these primers to work reliably in certain applications that feature smaller flash holes, that the flash hole diameters may need to be modified, to heat things up a bit. Also, it would be interesting to see if a stronger than normal spring made any difference, or adding some weight to the moving part of the striker assembly has any effect.

I have never

had a misfire or hangfire with either Wolf SR or SRM. I had one misfire with the Feds. The wolf primers are not very hot, about like the Feds but nothing like the cci or Rems. The SRM has a harder cup but the same amount of compond. The only difference I can tell between the two is that the SRM's dont pierce when I get a little too hot

A friend has had trouble with some SRM Wolf of recent vintage in that some primers are too short and go in the case so far that they can't go off.

Facts about Wolf primers

The Russian primers are very high qualitly. The ignition is softer than other primers. The standard Wolf primers primers have the same amount of priming mixture as the magnums. The only difference in the SR and the SRM is the cup. The standards use a softer copper cup and the magnums use a harder brass cup. It has been determined that the copper cup will not withstand the higher PPC and BR pressures unless the firing pin is of smaller diameter. I also would not recommend the small Wolf primers in any case having a capacity greater than the 6BR case.

Being a 30-30 shooter, I use the large Wolf primer. I could use 30 American brass with the small primer pocket, but this is not a real advantage over the large Wolf primer, because the 30-30 has to much capacity to use the small primer. Just to give you and idea of the difference in the ignition on the Wolf primer vs a Federal primer, I chronographed both with the same powder charge. The LR Wolf primer runs around 40fps slower than the Federal LR primer. It has also been determined by other shooters that the 30 American brass needs the hottest small rifle primers to avoid hang fires. The best way to put it is like this. The small primer in the 30-30 is not hot enough. The large primer in the 30-30 is hotter than needed. The LR Wolf being in the middle is perfect.

For this reason, I don't recommend the SR or the SRM Wolf for the 6.5 x 47, or for the 30 x 47. For these I recommend only the hottest small rifle primers, or use brass with a large Wolf primer. Since most of you will choose Lapua brass first, just use the hotter small primers, and save the Wolf small primers for the BR and under case capacity.

Michael

Went to the local gun show today specifically to see if they'd have any Wolf SR primers. They had 3000 of them, but they were marked "Standard for .223 Rem". Having read that the standard primers might pierce I left them.

Are the Wolf magnum SR primers marked "magnum"? DUH.

Thanks Toby, glad I didn't buy any of them then.

The people that had the Wolf primers sells Winchester primers too, and the price on them was through the roof ~$175/5k. The ones I bought from them this spring were $115/5k as I remember. :(

Back