Wolf LR primers

G

Gerry Nordmann

I just came from the range where I was trying some new loads using some of the Wolf (Russian) LR primers I just received. Out of the 20 rds I tried -
I had 3 that required two pin strikes, and one that required 3 pin strikes to
fire. I have been using Fed. for years and don't recall ever having this problem. I recall reading a while back that Russian primers were supposed to be relyable. I just bought 5K of these.:D Help! Any one else using Wolf
primers? I wanted to get the Mag primers but they only had the LR and the price was right. I am going to try them in some other guns and I hope they work better. I am using H 4350 powder, maybe some other powder might work better?? Badlands

I've bought some of the Wolf primers in lg pistol and small rifle mag. I tried them when when I got them and they worked just fine. Your mileage may vary. I've heard that they have a tougher cup but my ar and rem 700 and kimber smack then plenty hard. Make sure that you're seating them till the anvil seats to the bottom...they could have slightly different geometry than the USA stuff.
Mark

wolf lr primers

You probably didn't seat them all the way into the pocket. The wolfs need to be set rather firmly. They are a tad larger in diameter also.
Make sure your close to a crush fit and the primer pocket is really clean.
I hope this solves your problem,

in my limited experience with wolf primers( i sold over 300,000, and use them myself) the most common cause of failure to fire is equiptment.....either in seating or the fire arm.
in one extreme case we were able to convince a gentleman to let someone else look at his gun, a gun he swore was a-ok. it was not and when fixed all primers fired.

these are the same primers that were the jewel of some br and long range shooting in 04/05.

they are harder to seat and has been pointed out, so check there first, and try again.

mike in co

I had a few very slight yet noticeable hang fires with the Wolf LR primers. I must admit it happened only the first time I had used them and was not aware of the differences in them compared to domestic makes.

The anvil sits proud on a Wolf primer plus they are a tad larger in diameter.
When you seat them you will feel the anvil bottom out. A little more pressure and they'll bottom out on the cup. Thats the depth your looking for.

I use a cheap Lee loader. Feels like its gonna break but it works. Usually the primer cup is slightly flattened by the pressure required to fully seat them.

The anvil sits proud on a Wolf primer plus they are a tad larger in diameter.
When you seat them you will feel the anvil bottom out. A little more pressure and they'll bottom out on the cup. Thats the depth your looking for.

I use a cheap Lee loader. Feels like its gonna break but it works. Usually the primer cup is slightly flattened by the pressure required to fully seat them.

Yes... I too have discovered this to be true and where they seem to deliver outstanding ES consistency and reliability.

cale

Just had the same thing happen with primers I feel certain were fully seated. Could you provide a lot number on those primers? My lot number is 7-09 which is probably the manufacture date also and I'm curious if your's may be the same. A few of these actually didn't misfire or require a second pin strike, but acted more like I was firing a muzzle loader with a hesitation between the pin falling and the gun firing. Click-Boom.

Ideas??

My PMC primers seat way more consistently & give better figures across the chronograph since I was forced to use a K & M dial gauge seater when arthritis in the thumbs buggered my feel (& seating force) with the Sinclair.

Yote

When I first started loading for my Stiller drop port in 6ppc I had quite a few failures with Wolf. A shooter and gunsmith who were both at the match told me they had the same problem with his custom action. A Stiller BTW.
The smith installed a stiffer spring and moved the trigger forward. I'm not exactly sure what moving the trigger forward does but its some type of sear adjustment I quess.
These two mods solved the problem for this gun. From what I've been told some custom actions are designed to work in very narrow parameters of pin strike. Strike too soft and you get inconsistent ignition. Strike too hard and you have unnescessary gun movement in the bags.
This may explain what is happening if your using a custom action. It may be I was just being too gentle seating them also.

In my 6ppc I just switched to Fed 205M's and never had a problem since.
Never had a problem in any of my Sav actions with both large and small Wolf Magnums.

If its a factory action you might want to measure primer face depth below the case head and firing pin protrusion. Needless to say excessive headspace will add to the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Off topic but....

I've never had much luck with Wolfs and ball type powders. Reportedly they're a very mild primer. It seems to me they just don't have the brissance to perform well with ball powders. Accuracy seems ok with mild starting charges but fades fast and becomes erratic at the upper end.

Has anyone been successful with that combo? Is it just me?

Yote

When I first started loading for my Stiller drop port in 6ppc I had quite a few failures with Wolf. A shooter and gunsmith who were both at the match told me they had the same problem with his custom action. A Stiller BTW.
The smith installed a stiffer spring and moved the trigger forward. I'm not exactly sure what moving the trigger forward does but its some type of sear adjustment I quess.
These two mods solved the problem for this gun. From what I've been told some custom actions are designed to work in very narrow parameters of pin strike. Strike too soft and you get inconsistent ignition. Strike too hard and you have unnescessary gun movement in the bags.
This may explain what is happening if your using a custom action. It may be I was just being too gentle seating them also.

In my 6ppc I just switched to Fed 205M's and never had a problem since.
Never had a problem in any of my Sav actions with both large and small Wolf Magnums.

If its a factory action you might want to measure primer face depth below the case head and firing pin protrusion. Needless to say excessive headspace will add to the problem.

It wasn't a custom, it was a Tikka. I've never used Wolf before but took a chance on them since they were available. I will try testing them in different rifles before I condemn them. Thanks for that tip, I will measure protrusion and see if I can come up with a mechanical problem with the rifle.

Wolf SRM Failures

I bought 2000 because they were available too. In two rifles, 700 with Kiff bolt and Lawton 7500 I have had 7 failures to fire and many hang-fires. The hangs and 2 failures were in the 700 30x47 with RL 10X. The rest of the failures were in the Lawton 6.5x47 with H4350. The primers were FULLY seated. Both rifles fire CCI, Rem and Fed primers just fine.

Wolf Primers

As some have suggested - I have been seating the Wolf Primers firmly
with my Lee press. And, I have had no more ignition problems. I have
used them in four different rifles so far with no problems.:D Thanks
for all the replys. "Badlands"

Back