Windflag tail material

afrench

what are you guys using as material for your flag tails?

i've been using surveyors tape for a while and want to try something different.

any thoughts on width of the tail?

Colors?

I use surveyors tape. I'd stick with what you have since you are used to reading it. Why add another variable that you would have to relearn?

Is what you are using not working right? Maybe add a tiny brass eyelet at the mount end and attach with a swivel so it dangles free.

Depends on the range I am shooting on. If it is a range that is somewhat protected I use ~ 30" survey ribbon......the lighter weight stuff. On a range that is relatively open , I use Snuffy's Sailtails......which I like a lot because you they are more visible and I can gauge velocity better with them. I want to try his lightweight Sailtails to see if they are sensitive enough for the more sheltered ranges.

Snuffy Smith here.

I do make "Snuffy" Sail Tails in either standard weight or Lites. Most CF shooters use the standard weight. They are 3 inches wide and more easily read.

E-mail me for further details..howsmit@bellsouth.net
THANKS, "Snuffy" Smith

I use 2 tails.

I have surveyors tape on the top and Christmas garland on the bottom.
At the range I shoot at the winds can vary from a light breeze to extremely hard blow.
During the blow its hard enough to put the tape straight out and everything after that cant even be guessed well.
So I noticed a few others that used the garland. It works great on windy days when its just to windy for tape.

what are you guys using as material for your flag tails? I've been using surveyors tape for a while and want to try something different.

I use Snuffy's Sail Tails in standard weight, bright yellow.

Never cared for surveyor's tape. Too sensitive for the conditions I shoot in.

Give sail tails a try in different colors.

Until you've tried different materials in different colors, you'll never know what is best for you/your eyes preference, and the conditions you predominantly shoot in. :)

The way the wind blows in Lubbock, we usually use a logging chain for tails.

The way the wind blows in Lubbock, we usually use a logging chain for tails.

And, if you're smart, a diving mask to keep the sand out of your eyes! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
what are you guys using as material for your flag tails?

i've been using surveyors tape for a while and want to try something different.

any thoughts on width of the tail?

Colors?

I think using tails to read wind velocity is too difficult..I struggled for years and it takes a a great eye and memory to catch all the little nuances of the wind...I bought a wind probe and use it with my wind flag for best results...I no longer look at the tails...

Eddie in Texas

Hey Ray...I heard they make chains out there in Lubbock that you can push.

Glenn

They do, just aren't heavy enough for tails. On the days when the wind has the chains straight out, the only way to judge wind speed is by how fast the tumbleweeds go by. Good hearing from you buddy.

Ray

Back