Wind thingie......

J

jGEE

Ok i'm back on trying to hold for the wind. Yes i practice a lot but still unsure what the wind is doing.

I know there are no real answers every range and seems rifle every is different also -but.....

To help me and the new shooters can we talk in "bullet hole" distance. Take any target and we're talking how much does the wind average effecting a shot in "bullet holes width". We will use 50 yards for all comparisons.

Is there any links to charts that has this info available?
I have wind rose charts but i am interested in distance.

Also would anyone like to say what a 5 mph crosswind from say 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock will effect a shot in bullet hole width? Will a 5 mph crosswind blow a shot 1/2 a bullet hole - will it blow the shot a full bullet hole?

Please don't answer in fractions, i understand bullet hole widths a lot better.

Is bullet hole distance from center linear with mph or is it exponential?

I'm not looking for a definite answer but some kind of ballpark to be looking for while shooting... joe

Last edited by a moderator:
Thingie

If you let your Thingie hang out in the wind; it will let you know when to pull the trigger. (Usually when it is straight out.) Hope This Helps

Good one Fred. I was going to suggest Joe get away from his computer and attend some matches where he will learn a hell of a lot more about the wind, then from here reading what a bunch of wind bags may spew out.

Good one Fred. I was going to suggest Joe get away from his computer and attend some matches where he will learn a hell of a lot more about the wind, then from here reading what a bunch of wind bags may spew out.

Fred J excellent advice! Maybe this year i'm coming to the San Antoino are!! I have read this site enough first ting i'm going to do is look at the name of the 'poster!! If i get one good answer i think i'll advance................. me i'm thinking a 5mph wind could be good for 1/2 bullet hole, maybe... joe

depends on how good a gun you have. A good gun, 1/2 a bullet hole. A bad gun, 2 to 3 bullet widths.

Joe
There are very few shooters and guns that are capable of delivering You an honest answer on that question. If You find one, make sure You share that information with the rest of us. Or even better, share it with me, we could make a fortune on that info;)

ASSUMING the rifle is shooting .000 groups (ROFLMAO) the drift would be .38 inches or about 2 bullet holes. It is farly linear at about 2 bullets per 5 mph.

Last edited:
I think that it would be interesting to set up a camera so that it would give a good image of the flags, and have someone take a picture every time the rifle was fired. By holding center, and deliberately shooting is different conditions one could then pair the targets with the flag images and possibly reach some conclusions about causes and effects.

WIndrose

Here is one I made up how far to hold off is determined by how your rifle shoots in a particular wind

Attachments

• 4-windrose-final-woutlogo.pdf
    334.2 KB · Views: 641
A friend recently won a match handily in a big wind and he cedited his wind probes,mostly, for it. I believe that my scores increased substancially after I began to use my Wind Probes. They mostly tell you when NOT to shoot but can also tell you how much you need to hold off by watching them and shooting sighters.

If the gun ("good" or "bad") entered into wind deflection, how would anyone ever make up ballistics charts or show calculations for wind drift? I know all such calculations are somewhat approximate but are they off by a factor of 5 or 6. This is what DonMatzeder would have you believe. I suggest the effect of the gun on wind drift is more in the mind of the shooter than what might show up at the target. There's no question such things as velocity, drag, yaw, B.C., and such do affect wind drift, but the change in these factors by the gun are very small. The bottom line is: a shooter should not be concerned with how his gun, alone, might be affecting how the wind acts on his bullets.

I can understand how you feel that way. I shot with you once. I have several guns. Each is it's own animal with different stengths and weaknesses. One will dot I's in the calm but is unusable in the wind. Annother shoots poorly in the calm but does not blow very far at all in a hard blow.

Thanks .. Tuna921 made a nice target where to hold for center impact (yellow circlex) -stronger winds require more hold off, here it is:

imposed2.jpg

I had seen this wind rose before...

imposed3.jpg

now i super-imposed Tuna's cart over the normal windrose.....

imposed1.jpg

It does seem some of the other comments come from the uninformed.... I think everything has the possibility to be explained but it may be "over my pay grade".. Just because a person doesn't understand a circumstance doesn't mean others do not.

Here is an anomaly ... sometimes i am shooting and the wind seems to have more effect than others... probably explainable though...
One explination is i just don't have a clue, lol.... joe

ASSUMING the rifle is shooting .000 groups (ROFLMAO) the drift would be .38 inches or about 2 bullet holes. It is farly linear at about 2 bullets per 5 mph.

Jerry if what you say proves out to be true in my case... the wind moves the bullet around a lot more than i had thought! This is exactly why i had asked the question! thanks.... joe

You also have to watch the verticle near the null as it can be as much as the horizontal with a RF. Those wind effects are based on Oehler 43 software which I have found to be fairly true. Keep in mind the wind near ground level is usually less than the weather reported wind speeds.

Last edited:
You also have to watch the verticle near the null as it can be as much as the horizontal with a RF. Those wind effects are based on Oehler 43 software which I have found to be fairly true. Keep in mind the wind near ground level is usually less than the weather reported wind speeds.

Thanks Jerry for the info... Your first sentance kinda got me. It sorta seems like if your holding for horizontal and the wind stops blowing you might see more vertical. Something i will look for.

I have a wind speed indicator.... I use it more for resetting my internal wind speed clock from time to time. I thought i had a tornado blowing the other, went and got my meter and the most i could get was an ocasional 7 mph . i was way off!~... joe

windwizzard.jpg

With my current barrels I would hold 1/2 bullet width to the right and 1/4 bullet hole low. A 3 to 9 o'clock wind is my favorite condition to shoot. A steady 5mph wind from 3 o'clock with this hold will yield me an X more times then not. I've had barrels that were more wind sensitive then the one currently on my rifles (or maybe they just were not properly tuned). I rarely hold beyond the edge of the 10 ring on an IR50/50 target. It takes a pretty good breeze to get me to hold off more then that and, if I can, I will just wait it out.

Thanks .. Tuna921 made a nice target where to hold for center impact (yellow circlex) -stronger winds require more hold off, here it is:

imposed2.jpg

I had seen this wind rose before...

imposed3.jpg

now i super-imposed Tuna's cart over the normal windrose.....

imposed1.jpg

It does seem some of the other comments come from the uninformed.... I think everything has the possibility to be explained but it may be "over my pay grade".. Just because a person doesn't understand a circumstance doesn't mean others do not.

Here is an anomaly ... sometimes i am shooting and the wind seems to have more effect than others... probably explainable though...
One explination is i just don't have a clue, lol.... joe

So, what are you saying here Joe? You think this is inconsistent or consistent, wrong or right, unexplainable or what?

Back