Wind Probe/Indicator

Correcting my mistake

Mr. Beggs, on another thread ( http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?86290-Load-Tuning-for-temperature&p=706031&highlight=#post706031 ), I read the following quote that was attributed to you:

If you tune with the powder charge, decrease velocity 30 fps for each five degree increase in temperature and vice versa. With most powders, N133 being the most common, .3 grain equals 30 fps. With most Culver type measures, one full number equals .6 grains. For example, if your favorite load is 54 clicks, and your rifle is perfectly in tune for the first match of the day when temp is 60 degrees, you will decrease the load to 53.5 clicks when temp reaches 65 degrees, 53 clicks at 70 degrees and so on.​

That indented quote basically says that a 5 degree temp change requires a .3 gr change in powder; however, the quote at the top says a 20 degree temp change requires a .6 gr change in powder. Can you clarify the difference between the two quotes?

Hunter,I apologize for the delay in responding. No excuse; just getting old, slow and irresponsible. :p

Thanks for questioning me about something I said about load adjustments. You're absolutely right! :eek: I screwed up and made a false statement. :eek: It is a 10 degree change that requires a .3 grain change in powder charge not 5 degrees like I so carelessly stated. I never make adjustments smaller than .3 grains because of all the noise in the way we dispense powder so I guess that's why I said .3 for 5 degrees instead of .3 for 10. Sorry 'bout that. :p

Thanks again for pointing out my mistake. It's heartwarming to know there are those who are really paying attention to what is said. :) I take seriously the big responsibility a writer has to print only factual, proven, no nonsense information but in spite of my best efforts, I sometimes make mistakes. But as long as there are fine proof readers like you that will take the time to point them out, I'll bet we will be okay; huh? :):)

Best regards, keep in touch with us.

Later,

Gene Beggs

Last edited:
But you can gather so much info that you'll never pull the trigger

Reminds me of a 200 yard relay after which Rick exclaimed, "Why weren't you shooting at the beginning of that lull!?":eek: All the indicators in my lane were hanging straight down except one at about 100 yards. Hoping that the conditions would go completely calm, I waited it out. (GAMBLING is a part of BR shooting!;)) It worked out that time, but I have also been bitten by waiting too long and/or not shooting fast enough. I use 4 flags with indicators at 100 and 6 at 200. I would use more if it were possible to place them so that I could see them all. You can't have too much wind information. It is by far the most important thing in BR shooting, IMHO.

Not trying to toot my own horn, but I have someone at nearly every match tell me that they watched my indicators. They are way easier to read for wind speed than tails.

Cheers,
Keith

Gene,
Love your indicators. They are works of art. Mine are "utilitarian" so to speak. The indicator hangs down instead of up. The same glued cups as yours. That was a great idea. Anything else that light is way more expensive. The rod is carbon fiber and the bearing is Delrin on stainless steel. The reduced weight eliminates the need for a damper, but the response time is not noticeably quicker than yours. I was hoping it would be, but it isn't. Could be that the shorter rod or the drag in the bearing limits it quickness.

I have trouble seeing the direction of quartering flags, so that is the idea behind the cylindrical flag on top. If you see orange and a white dot like in the photo, then you know its a quartering headwind from the right. Orange and a black dot is a quartering tailwind from the right, etc.

Cheers,
Keith

Wind flag reduced.jpg

Gene,
Love your indicators. They are works of art. Mine are "utilitarian" so to speak. The indicator hangs down instead of up. The same glued cups as yours. That was a great idea. Anything else that light is way more expensive. The rod is carbon fiber and the bearing is Delrin on stainless steel. The reduced weight eliminates the need for a damper, but the response time is not noticeably quicker than yours. I was hoping it would be, but it isn't. Could be that the shorter rod or the drag in the bearing limits it quickness.

I have trouble seeing the direction of quartering flags, so that is the idea behind the cylindrical flag on top. If you see orange and a white dot like in the photo, then you know its a quartering headwind from the right. Orange and a black dot is a quartering tailwind from the right, etc.

Cheers,
Keith

View attachment 15931

Nice Keith! You might want to try teflon instead of delrin. It made a noticeable difference in my flags.. I have some 1/2" and 5/8" round teflon. If you want, I could send some your way to try.--Mike

Gene,

Cheers,
Keith

View attachment 15931

Thank you Keith. Nice work. We all have our own preferences in the way information is presented. It's a lot of fun experimenting with such things; isn't it? :D

Keep up the good work. There are those of us out here in the boondocks that greatly appreciate your input.

Later,

Gene Beggs

Nice Keith! You might want to try teflon instead of delrin. It made a noticeable difference in my flags.. I have some 1/2" and 5/8" round teflon. If you want, I could send some your way to try.--Mike

Thanks for the good idea, Mike. I have a General Rubber and Plastics just down the road, so I'll give it a try.

Back