Winchester brass question...

O

Open Country

I'm having a 6MM AI built, and getting brass ready. I've read online that Remington brass is a poor choice for the Ackley's because of brass splitting upon fireforming, etc. Everyone seems to prefer either fireforming Winchester brass, or working 7X57 down. As a general rule is Winchester brass thinner in the neck and body areas than Remington brass?

Rob

AI Brass Fireforming

Guess I must be lucky. I've never had a case split fireforming either .22/250 AI or 6mm AI with virgin UNFIRED cases. Mostly Remington, but also Winchester, Federal and Norma. Trying to fireform FIRED cases, even once fired, ah--that's a different story! I gave up on that practice after a few once fired Winchester cases split. Not every one, but enough to send up a warning flag. I suppose some lots of brass may be more prone to splitting than others, but so far I've not run into any, and I'm talking thousands of cases. Vic

Thanks for the words of experience Vic,

I've a lot to learn regarding Ackley's chamberings. I've read one should start with the upper load specs of the 6MM Remington for fireforming the 6MM AI to get good sharp corners in the shoulder area of the cases. I'm shooting the 75 grain V-Max through a 13 twist Krieger, 27.5" long. I'm hoping to get somewhere near 3,700 fps. using VV N-160, although I won't know yet whether this will be the powder of choice for this combination.

Thanks for your help,

Rob

Hate to disagree with Alinwa, but when I had a 7x57 I found that Win brass was thinner and harder in the case head, thus better, than RP. If you can find Win .257 brass (also thin and harder than RP) it'd involve less work than 7x57, but easiest is NEW RP 6 mm Rem. The .257 +P brass is a waste of money IMHO. The regular brass works fine unless you like maybe 70 kpsi loads. :eek:

Thanks Larry,

No, I'll keep my pressure down because of the 700 action it is built on. Some have used the 14 twist Kriegers and had to push the 75 V-Max HARD to get it to stabilize. That's why I'm going to the 13 twist. They're using the custom BAT action to withstand the tremendous pressures. Talk about short brass life! I may be losing a little velocity, but I'll make up for it in case life. I've made up my mind to go with the Winchester 6MM Rem brass, and fireform it to AI. Midway had a couple hundred for me.

Thanks,
Rob

Rob,
If you haven't already ordered your barrel you might want to consider a 1 in 12 twist. It'll for sure stabilize a 75 gr, and even 85's and 87's without straining anything. That'd be my choice. A little fast for a field rifle is usually better than a little slow IMHO.
Larry

Thanks Larry,

I've already got a 1-12 for the 87 grain V-Max's in a different chambering. It's a 6MM Rem 40X. No, the 12 twist will hold the 75 grain V-Max bullet back from reaching it's top velocity, while not having to push it so hard as to ruin brass. I really believe the 13 twist is the way to go for this AI. As far as that goes, I will be able to push the little 70 grainers up to nearly 4K. I had an AI reamer made with '0' freebore, and a 1.5 degree taper.

Thanks again,
Rob

Hate to disagree with Alinwa, but when I had a 7x57 I found that Win brass was thinner and harder in the case head, thus better, than RP. If you can find Win .257 brass (also thin and harder than RP) it'd involve less work than 7x57, but easiest is NEW RP 6 mm Rem. The .257 +P brass is a waste of money IMHO. The regular brass works fine unless you like maybe 70 kpsi loads. :eek:

He said nothing about the case head. The question concerned "neck and body."

I can't figger out why some of you'se guys just "want to disagree with alinwa!"

I agree, Win brass is harder, also it works better (more malleable??) and is more consistent.

I just didn't see that as the question.......... If the question had been asked as "do you prefer Win to Rem" then the answer could have been simple and different.

"yes"

:)

al

Al, if you asked my wife, brother, or most anyone who knows me they'd tell you that I'm just disagreeable. Don't need much of an excuse.... :eek::D:D

Back