Winchester 748 and 6mm ppc

Websurfer

Hello all,
I’m new to the forum and a club 6mm ppc shooter. My question involves Winchester 748 and 6mm ppc. In the article “Secrets of the Houston Warehouse” which seems to be extremely influential, the best groups they got with 6ppc was with W748. But I don’t see anyone using it. What gives? It’s not like they (Virgil and the shooters at the warehouse) didn’t have n133 or h322. So, if W748 delivered those legendary results, why aren’t the pros using it? Thanks

Different than today’s

From what I have heard from guys shooting in those days, the new 748 isn’t anything nearly as good as it was back then.

The older stuff was pretty fast and worked best on very hot days with low humidity, lighter loads as well. Days that now I would break out my old 8208 or T powder.

I’ve got a pound or two of it but haven’t played with it much. Maybe one day.

Just a club PPC shooter here too and

Hello all,
I’m new to the forum and a club 6mm ppc shooter. My question involves Winchester 748 and 6mm ppc. In the article “Secrets of the Houston Warehouse” which seems to be extremely influential, the best groups they got with 6ppc was with W748. But I don’t see anyone using it. What gives? It’s not like they (Virgil and the shooters at the warehouse) didn’t have n133 or h322. So, if W748 delivered those legendary results, why aren’t the pros using it? Thanks

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that "someone" doubtlessly did or has tried it outside of a controlled environment and found the 748 and the 6PPC to be relatively incompatible when subjected to day to day, region to region, and season to season climate changes. Simply stated, 748 is a great powder, but not in the ppc used for competition on match day. JME. WD

Ken Waters

wrote an article years ago along with Seely Masker about the PPC. His best accuracy was with IMR 4198, but that powder may not have been what todays IMR 4198 is. I don't think N133 was around then or if it was they did not use it.

to ally

wrote an article years ago along with Seely Masker about the PPC. His best accuracy was with IMR 4198, but that powder may not have been what todays IMR 4198 is. I don't think N133 was around then or if it was they did not use it.
yrss ago one of the best shooters in our area cease gamble shoot 4198 25.5and shot small

From what I have heard from guys shooting in those days, the new 748 isn’t anything nearly as good as it was back then.

The older stuff was pretty fast and worked best on very hot days with low humidity, lighter loads as well. Days that now I would break out my old 8208 or T powder.

I’ve got a pound or two of it but haven’t played with it much. Maybe one day.
yrs ago bart witer shot 748 at oainted post ny. and broke spt. recoords 170 ag. next day couldnt say under half inch.

Hello all,

In this game like a lot of other things, it's best to not try and reinvent the wheel. Sounds like you have looked at winning shooters and what they use. It's in your best interest to follow the leader and once you have established that both you and your rifle can shoot, then you might want to try other things. This is coming from a person who has tried it both ways. While I've had a lot of fun shooting cartridges that aren't usually in the top winners, I've had fun, but I've won more fake wood with a 6 PPC and LT 32.

Just sayin,
Rick

When I decided to get started in bench rest I encountered a nice 40 XBR in 6x47 Remington for sale at a good price. It came with brass and Wilson dies and a few load notes. The powder mentioned was W748. I read up on it and decided it was too temperature-sensitive compared to other more modern powders. I have never used it. Maybe someday I'll try it, but I have a lot of other things to experiment with first.

Back