Win 70 Coyote Lite Probs

G

GilTex

I've been fighting this rifle in 22-250 for about 9 mos. It seems like it wants to shoot but every 4 or 5 shots I get a 3 or 4 inch flyer. As much as this rifle cost, I hesitate to add more money. Less expensive rifles shoot much better. This seems like a bedding problem but I don't know where to start. Any ideas.

Thanks
Gil

Gil -
Check your bedding it sounds like it may be heat related. If you shoot 3 or 4 times and it changes then goes back to normal, you may be trying figure out what happened and allowing it to cool at the same time. Intermittent problems are the hardest to figure out.

I've been fighting this rifle in 22-250 for about 9 mos. It seems like it wants to shoot but every 4 or 5 shots I get a 3 or 4 inch flyer. As much as this rifle cost, I hesitate to add more money. Less expensive rifles shoot much better. This seems like a bedding problem but I don't know where to start. Any ideas.

Thanks
Gil

My brother in law has one of those. It does the exact same thing. I tried to work up a load for it and found it didn't discriminate - the best group with any powder and bullet was around 1" not counting the 2" to 3" flyer.

If he brings it back next summer I may try bedding it. If that gets rid of the fliers and he wants to do more it could get a new barrel and have the action touched up. The only way it is worth it to him to do that is because I'll do it for him as a favor.

Fitch

Last edited by a moderator:
Check

I have the same rifle only in a 7mm WSM, Make sure that the barrel is completely free floated at the four or fifth shot (hot). Mine needed to be opened up a teenie bit, it was just some of the finished that was use on the synthetic stock. A bit of emery cloth and it was good to go.:D Hope this helps

Thanks for the comments. I'll try some of them but I hate to invest any more money into this too expensive rifle. Maybe it goes to the next gun show.

Gil

One more possibility

I had a similar problem----just a coincidence but it was also with a M70.

I changed the scope to a known good scope----no better.

The action was bedded and additional barrel channel clearance was provided and there was essentially no difference.

In checking out the scope bases---two piece Weaver---the front screw of the front base was bottoming out on the barrel tenon threads instead of pulling the base solidly down on the receiver.

After grinding the tip of the front screw enough to clear the barrel tenon threads, the fliers were no longer a problem.

Good luck.

A. Weldy

This is kinda funny, a customer just dropped off the exact rifle in my shop yesterday. He claimed the shooting problem was the heavy trigger. So this am I set the trigger at 2.5 lbs, A quick bore scope revealed the real problems.
The lack of a lead angle on one side of the throat, and some raised up burs
.350" in from the crown.

I had a Win70 Coyote in 308win with the same problem. Just like Jim S, Just under .500 in from the crown...UGLY !!!

-------------------Jeff

I have one of these in a .243 Win. dual bolt face. It wouldn’t shoot less than 2 inches with anything I fed so I cut and recrowned the barrel, no change. Removed the barrel and chucked it up in the lathe, found that the shoulder was out of square by .005 so I corrected it, lost headspace by.003 but decided to test it that way (didn’t have a .243 reamer), no change. Obtained a reamer, chucked it back in the lathe, cut off 2 threads and rechambered, and still couldn’t clean up the chamber. (The darn thing still won’t shoot.) I think you will find that these barrels were static chambered and are in crooked to the bore; this is the only explanation that I could come up with.

The barrel will make a good tomato stake!!!!!!!!!

I purchased it for I have many M70 barrels sitting around that could be swapped on and off this action but when I removed the barrel I found that they had changed the thread tendon to 1 1/16” – 28 threads from 1” -16, none of my barrels will fit it.

Rick

My customer came in to pick up his win lite, and I showed him in the scope what his problems were.

"thats why this thing shoots 3 inch groups???"

He took it for a weekend hunt and is going to drop it off next week for a cut and crown. I am going to set the barrel back a quarter inch, and rechamber. I'm thinking this will be enough to clean out the old neck and throat, and still cut the whole chamber dia. clean and concentric.

I'm a little afraid it might be so bad it ends up in Ricks garden...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back