Wichita action, Seely Masker gun

cheapthrills

I hope this is the place to find out about this old rifle. I have a Wichita action, right bolt, left port gun with a Seely Masker stamped barrel (1979, 6ppc), fairly modern 36x Weaver scope. How do I find the serial number on this action (glue in, green painted, flat forend (looks standard benchrest) stock). And what to do with it, as I am not likely to shoot benchrest.

https://www.sniperforums.com/threads/wichta-arms-action.4682/

I can't say for sure as to your action, but I have a model 1375 action, R/R and the serial number is under the bolt near the rear of the action. I'm guessing you may have inherited the rifle since you seem to have no interest in benchrest. While they are very well machined and lock up like a bank vault, they are not in the same class as today's actions. They do make excellent varmint rifles and you could also trade or sell. Pictures may help.

Rick

Last edited:
Interest in benchrest

Rick, I have an interest in shooting, but don't want to feed my OC side like that. I have too much stuff and no room for more new stuff. I shoot SASS, Rimfire steel challenge and a few other disciplines. So, Please, nothing else that eats space. I also already have a few target and varmint rifles, a full size Sharp lathe and Mill. So, please, no new space eaters. I will find someone that will appreciate this but couldn't do anything much with it without a serial number for a FFL. I apologize if this breaks rules, I have no intent of doing so. Jimmy

Serial number found

Rick, thank you, I did find the serial number under the bolt as you described. Three digits, 3xx. So, I'll figure out what to do with this rifle. I have a FFL who will do take care of this for me. And will send photos to anyone who wants. Jimmy

Last edited:
https://www.sniperforums.com/threads/wichta-arms-action.4682/

I can't say for sure as to your action, but I have a model 1375 action, R/R and the serial number is under the bolt near the rear of the action. I'm guessing you may have inherited the rifle since you seem to have no interest in benchrest. While they are very well machined and lock up like a bank vault, they are not in the same class as today's actions. They do make excellent varmint rifles and you could also trade or sell. Pictures may help.

Rick

Rick,

Great link, thanks for posting it. I had no idea that Wichita had come up with so many products for the accuracy shooting crowd.

They do indeed lock-up like a bank vault! I remember seeing my first Wichita in the early 90’s at my buddy Cliff Tharp’s house. Cliff had a pile of them! When I worked the action on them, I was rewarded with this glorious sounding “CA-LUNK”! I haven’t seen one since then but still remember the sound that action made like it was yesterday.

Seely Masker, “The Great Gunsmith”, was a big fan of them. Match equipment lists from the 80’s and early 90’s are littered with Wichita actioned rifles built by Masker.

I’m curious, Rick, why you don’t think they’re in the same class as today’s actions. Genuinely curious…not trying to start a piss-off.

Justin

If the bolt shroud is original to the action, the serial number is also engraved on one of the bottom flats of the shroud.

I recently rehabed a 1375. After quite a bit of work on the cocking cam, shroud and cocking piece helix on the bolt body...it shoots very well. If you do that work, you can lighten up the original spring tension quite a bit. The firing pin travel is stopped by the the front of the cocking piece hitting the front of the cutout in the bolt shroud...so keep that in mind if you start doing any work.

Good shootin' -Al

FMVLcOJh.jpg

oRP6AxFh.jpg

Last edited:
Rick,

I’m curious, Rick, why you don’t think they’re in the same class as today’s actions. Genuinely curious…not trying to start a piss-off.

Justin

Justin,
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I have owned two Wichita's and still have one. It was originally chambered in 6x47 and I have no clue who did the work. It currently has a PacNor barrel chambered in 20-223AI and is possibly the most accurate prairie dog rifle I own (maybe 2nd to a Kelbly Atlas 223AI). My comment had to do with speed and slickness. The ones I've handled, including mine, simply cannot be worked as quickly as a BAT or a Panda if one is looking for speed. I certainly have no problem with the accuracy.

Rick

Justin,
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I have owned two Wichita's and still have one. It was originally chambered in 6x47 and I have no clue who did the work. It currently has a PacNor barrel chambered in 20-223AI and is possibly the most accurate prairie dog rifle I own (maybe 2nd to a Kelbly Atlas 223AI). My comment had to do with speed and slickness. The ones I've handled, including mine, simply cannot be worked as quickly as a BAT or a Panda if one is looking for speed. I certainly have no problem with the accuracy.

Rick

Rick,

No worries at all, I was just curious as to your take on them. As I said, I haven’t seen one in 30 or so years. Thanks for your reply.

Justin

Good to see you here Justin. Hope retirement is treating you well

Cool action huh? When are you gonna get that Superior going???!!

Just buried my buddy who put me on to them. 92 years old. Gonna miss him.

Good to see you here Justin. Hope retirement is treating you well

Cool action huh? When are you gonna get that Superior going???!!

Just buried my buddy who put me on to them. 92 years old. Gonna miss him.

Parker,

Good to hear from you, brother! Retirement rocks! I should have done it 30 years ago…

I know, I know…17L needs to ride again. I’ve got the parts to do it, but I’ve gone down the PCP air rifle rabbit hole. Big time.

Sorry to hear of your friends passing. That’s the really crappy thing about getting older. We start losing those friends and family who came before us.

Justin

Parker,

Good to hear from you, brother! Retirement rocks! I should have done it 30 years ago…

I know, I know…17L needs to ride again. I’ve got the parts to do it, but I’ve gone down the PCP air rifle rabbit hole. Big time.

Sorry to hear of your friends passing. That’s the really crappy thing about getting older. We start losing those friends and family who came before us.

Justin

Justin,

If you ever decide you want to send 17L back east, I will go it. I could build a 6BR.

Just saying. I have a good smith out in CO that has experience with them.

Just remember, I am a poor retired Deputy Sheriff, not some high falutin California cop! So keep the price reasonable!

Rick, thank you, I did find the serial number under the bolt as you described. Three digits, 3xx. So, I'll figure out what to do with this rifle. I have a FFL who will do take care of this for me. And will send photos to anyone who wants. Jimmy

I wouldn't mind seeing some photos of it, I have a left bolt right port Wichita 1375, mine is a bit earlier than yours serial #1XX. Ian

If the bolt shroud is original to the action, the serial number is also engraved on one of the bottom flats of the shroud.

I recently rehabed a 1375. After quite a bit of work on the cocking cam, shroud and cocking piece helix on the bolt body...it shoots very well. If you do that work, you can lighten up the original spring tension quite a bit. The firing pin travel is stopped by the the front of the cocking piece hitting the front of the cutout in the bolt shroud...so keep that in mind if you start doing any work.

Good shootin' -Al

FMVLcOJh.jpg

oRP6AxFh.jpg

Al what is the serial number of yours, just wondering as it hasn't got a removable trigger hanger and has the flat bolt face......Ian

Al what is the serial number of yours, just wondering as it hasn't got a removable trigger hanger and has the flat bolt face......Ian

Ian, the action belongs to a friend of mine. On the trigger hanger...an interesting Wichita trivia tidbit is that the 1375's were originally manufactured with a trigger hanger to hold the Remington pattern trigger. Later, they went to the trigger pin mounting system. The Wichita trigger pin system is fairly unique as the pin holes are undercut and allow the trigger hinge into position with the removal of only one cross pin. Pretty ingenious, actually.

Good shootin' :) -Al

Ian, the action belongs to a friend of mine. On the trigger hanger...an interesting Wichita trivia tidbit is that the 1375's were originally manufactured with a trigger hanger to hold the Remington pattern trigger. Later, they went to the trigger pin mounting system. The Wichita trigger pin system is fairly unique as the pin holes are undercut and allow the trigger hinge into position with the removal of only one cross pin. Pretty ingenious, actually.

Good shootin' :) -Al

Al I remember reading that about the Wichita, mine has the removable trigger hanger, so no need for a hole in the stock to remove the trigger.

Back