Why ream muzzlebrakes.

I just run a SS brush chucked in a cordless drill motor with carbon cutter on it every so often. We only have one rifle left with the brakes and it doesn't get shot much anymore so I think it's a moot point at this time. I never imagined that the gasses could change the steel.

As long as accuracy is good I won't worry about it. Like I stated, I don't really like brakes anymore as they are just dangerously loud. I won't hunt with handguns for this same reason. I can't guarantee that I have time to stick ear plugs in.

I used a brake in one 1000 yd match where we have a limited number of benches. I didn't make any friends on the firing line so I didn't use it again. I guess they have there place (50 cal) but not for me so much anymore.

Thanks for the insight

I used a brake in one 1000 yd match where we have a limited number of benches. I didn't make any friends on the firing line so I didn't use it again. I guess they have there place (50 cal) but not for me so much anymore.

Most Long Range NBRSA Benchrest shooters use brakes and we are still friends. Rules prohibit any that vent to the rear.:cool:

Ray

Brakes

I shoot a monthly match which has six targets from 100 to 500 meters (547 yards.) It's a great advantage to be able to see your bullets hitting the 500 meter berm as the targets are only 5 1/2" wide and 10 1/2" tall and Texas has some wind. No flags are allowed so seeing the bullet hits can be the difference between 1st and last place.

I use .020" clearance on the exit hole but I have no science to back that up.

Shelley

Back