Why Not A .23 Caliber

Why not have the LV be less than 6mm, HV 6-7mm and sporter over 7mm?

More bore sizes for experimentation.

Let them all weigh the same.

Whatever

Jackie, all you newer shooters do not realize that most of the new ideas have already been tested in the past. We were not exactly dumb in the early years.

The .234 caliber was tried and used by none other than myself and Bob Simonson 20 to 25 years ago. He would make the bullet dies and I would take care of the reamers and barrels. I had a 50 thou short ppc reamer made by Henricksen and the barrels supplied by Schneider and Sherer. This worked so well that I was greatly supprized. Shot well at both yardages with velocity and accuracy.

Most did not know Bob Simonson real well. He was a very tempermental gentleman. He gets mad at someone in the upper NBRSA and sells the damn dies to someone in Canada without calling me. Left me holding the bag with reamers and barrels and no bullets. I still have about 50 of those things. One of the best dies he made. He actually made it the way I told him.

Yes, I am still skeptical of partnerships sharing components.. Since then, I have tried to be self sufficient.

Larry

Larry

Wow, Larry, that is a good piece of Benchrest History. thanks for sharing.
I don't know where one could get jackets if they attempted it again, the concept seems so logical.
With as far as the 6mm has come, the .23 cal might be an idea whose time passed.
But at least my questioned got answered. Some one who actually knows what he is doing tried it, and it worked.........jackie

Larry

To say Bob was "tempermental" is somewhat an understatement.

Had a scratch in a point up die and my friend talked me into trying to polish it out with toothpaste. Bob got a big laugh outta that and fixed it for free. It was nice to be on his "good side".

Jackie, Bob had made a draw die to bring the .750 6mm jacket down to the .234 with about .770 length.

Wilbur, yes you had to be on Bob's good side, but he would do most anything for you.
Bad side is another story.

Guys, way I see it, there's rules to make sure the playing field is level(ish).

And there's rules that mess with accuracy.

Nowadays, there are essentially two classes, plus Unlimited, where the bag gunners insist that they have an advantage because they can squeeze... Sigh...

Oughta turn it into 11.5, 13.5, big thing that kinda looks like a rifle, and whatever two or three guys can get to the bench without herniating themselves (much).

No caliber or case restrictions. Just weight and "has to look like a rifle" for the lower three, and "run whatever" for Unlimited. And make it -really- unlimited. Mag fed, semi, whatever, as long as it's safe, and brass doesn't go past the edge of the bench (which is likely the main reason for disallowing semi in the past, right?).

Back