Why I Shoot the 30-30 in Benchrest

mturner

I have answered a lot of questions concerning how I make the 30-30 agg. I have gone over this in some detail in previous post. The biggest question that remains to this day is "why". I have rarely been to a match where people don't question me on this. There are even a few people who are actually bothered by my caliber choice. Some continue to ask why I put up with the recoil. These are the same people who seem to be bothered by me shooting a 30-30 against their 6PPC. I have never in my life heard anyone ask a hunter class shooter why they put up with the recoil of a 30X47. They just seem to accept that a bullet that has a .0325" larger radius will out score a 6mm bullet. If a 6mm bullet can consistantly get .0325" closer to the center of the target, then it will score equal to a 30 caliber.

Recently at the Rattlesnake, I was asked by one of the most well known shooters in BR, why I put up with the recoil when there is no gain. I told him that I shot the 30-30 because of a dare.

Back in 1994, I had just won the Burnet Gun Club championship with my 6BR. At that time all I owned was two barrels for my 18lb rifle that is now my 13.5lb rifle that I currently use. Those two barrels were 1.35" 6PPC and 6BR. Both barrels shot well, even by todays standards. Because I was limited to 6PPC USA Sako brass, I ran a 68gr Tucker bullet around 3250fps with something like 27.5gr of H322. My 6BR pushed the same bullet around 3500fps with 34.5gr of W748. With the accuracy being about the same, the 6BR had a 250fps advantage. Why did this mean something? Our matches consisted of seven various disciplines, including 3 postion shooting with our sporter rifles. For that reason, no flags were used. The match that was shot with my 6BR was a 200 yard unlimited score match. That 250fps gave me .4" less drift at 200 yards in a 10 mph wind. That is a substantial score advantage.

After winning the championship, Andy Lyda wanted to give me a hard time about my 6BR. Same question, "why"? He said the PPC is more accurate. I said "I don't see that, and my 6BR drifts less". I turned things around by saying that I could out shoot him with any caliber, even a 30-30. He told me to put my money where my mouth is, saying, "if you show up with a 30-30 next year, you will get laughed of the range". The next year we shot 8 matches. The 30-30 won the championship, beating Andy all 8 matches. My load was 38gr of IMR4320 behind a 150gr Sierra Matchking at 2800fps.

After that, I started going to New Braunfels with Frank Wilson. There we shot score in the morning, and group in the afternoon. The 30-30 dominated in the score matches, and surprised everyone in the group matches with many wins. Trophies were given for top 3 finishes in score and group. The 30-30 managed 36 top 3 finishes in 3 years of shooting. To this day Jerry Hensler says that he has never seen a 30 caliber shoot so consistent. My load in New Braunfalls was never changed over the 3 years. I used 40gr of 2015 Israeli powder with a 125gr Berger at around 3100fps. I honestly never changed my powder measure setting.

The Texas State match in 2000 was coming up. I did not have a sporter weight rifle. I didn't know if one would even shoot well. I decided to build one for the match. It is the same one I shoot today with the blue and white marble colored stock. Before the match, Jerry Hensler sold me his Scott 4197 powder to me. It tested well on Friday. My first groups of my first ever registered match were: .150", .123", and .190". With a .1543 agg. after 3 matches, trouble came my way. I completely missed the 4th target. After removing the bolt and getting back on paper, my group was a .287", then followed by my last group of a .339" for a low .2" agg. That gave me a second place finish, with Charles Huckeba the winner. It wasn't until I got back home that I realized my rear scope ring was broken. It would be 8 years before I returned to benchrst shooting.

Still the question of "why" remains. I have several answers. I love shooting my 30-30. I want to further develope the accuracy potential of the 30-30. The recoil isn't a big deal. I have been able to push the 30-30 to it's fullest potential as a hunting round, with velocities and bullet drop comparable to the 270 Winchester. And last of all, the 30-30 does win matches, and it has won 2 gun grand aggs more than once. I may not win a lot, but these days, I shoot very few matches, and never fire a single round from the bench between matches. Back when the 30-30 was known for winning a lot. I practiced a lot. Remember the odds are only about a 50-1 chance of me winning, regardless of caliber choice. How can anyone say that there is no gain in that? Speedy once asked me if I just shoot the 30-30 so I can beat the PPC. Isn't he trying to beat other 6PPC's? Even the PPC shooters only shoot for enjoyment and to further develope the accuracy of the shooting sport. I currently own four 6PPC barrels, and have one more 6PPC barrel on order. I have nothing against the 6PPC. I love the way it shoots. I have only shot the 6PPC twice at a registered match in the last 6 years. I did not place any better with the PPC. While I believe the 30's are easier to tune, I believe the 6PPC is way easier to keep in tune than most PPC shooters ever realize. I have seen so many 6PPC shooters adjust their powder measures after the first group that didn't quite go as expected. All the years that I had success with the 6PPC and 6BR, I pretty much left my loads alone. Not saying you never need to change your load, just saying maybe half as often as you do. When I shot the PPC and BR in Burnet, I went preloaded to the range.

Attached are examples of 30-30 performance vs. the 270 Winchester. It's only fair that the 30-30 is fired in a bolt action or something like a Ruger #1 for maximum potential. Velocities listed for the 30-30 can be obtained in a 22" barrel. The 270 load is for a 130gr Nosler Ballistic Tip with a BC of .433 at 3100fps. The 30-30 load is for a 125gr Nosler Ballistic Tip with a BC of .366 at 3150fps. Both rifles are set for a 200 yard zero, which is typical for a hunting rifle. The 500 yard drop and energy of the 30-30 is very close to the 270. with only 1.5" more drop at 500 yards.

If any of you have any questions or doubts concerning anything I have written, feel free to comment. If you have any doubts concerning any velocities I have listed for the 30-30, I will shoot over any chronograph with witnesses. Afterwards anyone who chooses can extract the case from the chamber and observe for high pressure signs. Obviuosly these are high pressure loads, but considered working loads. The cases continue to be reloaded with good primer tension. I have never pushed the 30-30 to a primer leak. I have however seen this problem with the 25-06, 270, and 30-06 when trying to get a little more out of them.

Michael270 Winchester.jpg30-30 Winchester.jpg

Interesting...thanks for posting

That was a very enjoyable read, especially for some one like me who has never heard of anyone shooting that caliber in benchrest.

Could you post photos of your 30-30 bench rifle?

Thank you!

George

Michael has been around with his 30-30 for a long time. It has always been a very accurate combination the way he sets it up.

I certainly do not want to take anything away from his efforts, (I have personally seen this set up in action), but I would think that the 30BR has rendered much of this a moot point.

Last edited:
Mike

thanks for the interesting info. Experimentation has always been a part of benchrest and its nice to see its still alive.

The 30 Aardvark has been shot successfully by some east coast hunter shooters and uses the 30-30 case as a basis.

Lee,

I mainly shoot Federal brass, the action is self made. I can post pictures of the rifle and action this evening.

Jackie,

We have spoken of 30 caliber accuracy over the phone in the past. I have no intention of creating more 30 caliber shooters. As you know, recoil is something that people can or cannot put up with, and when you shoot your 30BR, you accept the recoil. The thing is this. A lot of people are familiar with my 30-30, just like a lot of people are familiar with the 30BR, but the 30-30 just rubs people the wrong way. Something happened at a match one time that increased my determination to shoot the 30-30. Most of the BR shooters have a lot of integrity. We take a stand for what we believe, and don't back down. I won't say who or where, but I was shooting a match, and I was somewhere around 3rd place. I had removed my rifle from the bench for cleaning, and went back to the bench to grab my brass. The brass was gone, so I asked three guys that were standing together near my bench if they had any idea where my brass went. They said that someone must have mistaken it for some old brass that a hunter left behind on the bench, and thrown it away. Not only was the brass neck-turned, but it was next to my bags and rest. Obviously I was bothered, but I had more brass in my car. I was determined to win that day, and did manage to shoot my way to first place. I don't care how popular I am with the BR crowd. I'm just trying to answer a question that has never before been answered by me, and that is "why I shoot the 30-30". The fact is, I don't even shoot it that well anymore. Last couple of times I shot a 6PPC in Raton, I agged in the 3's. I simply need to find more time to spend at the bench. For me, I shoot the 30-30 as well as a PPC, so if I'm okay with the recoil, why should anyone else be bothered by my caliber choice. But Jackie, the fact does remain, that you have never shown yourself to have any problem with me shooting the 30-30. I'm simply wondering why a few others have a problem with it. Now that I have answered the "why" question, maybe it's time for others to be honest and tell me "why" they have a problem with it.

Michael

...the 30-30 just rubs people the wrong way....I'm simply wondering why a few others have a problem with it....[M]aybe t's time for others to be honest and tell me "why" they have a problem with it.

I can't imagine why anyone would care what you shoot, as long as it's within the rules. Am I missing something?

30 American

Your Thuty-Thuty with 30 American brass? Dave Tooley probably still has some.

I wouldn't mind getting some. It may not be any better with a small primer with the case in full length form, but wouldn't hurt to try some. Do you have contact info for Dave.

Michael

30-30

Mr. Turner........ I take my hat off to you!!!!......and give a full military salute.....For your innovation, development and determination.......
again I say........

" It`s not the arrow....it`s the Indian".......

bill larson

" I had removed my rifle from the bench for cleaning, and went back to the bench to grab my brass. The brass was gone, so I asked three guys that were standing together near my bench if they had any idea where my brass went. They said that someone must have mistaken it for some old brass that a hunter left behind on the bench, and thrown it away."

Micheal. It's funny how people treat each other. I am one of the youngest in my crowd.
Some don't like that. Or don't like, that I was winning some wood in my first year.
Say I don't run matches exactly correct. But, when I catch them trying to cheat it's always some other guy....
Found my tires half flat. Found my powder measure turned down. Actually had a guy point a pistol at me and rack the slide. It was empty, I was close enough to not see the bullet...
Yep. BR people are real nice....
Tim B.

BR Crowd

Tim,

One thing that I did not mention at the top of my post. The story about the Texas State match. I mention missing the target completely after shooting 3 groups in the .1" range. My first thought was that someone must have readjusted my scope for me. After removing the bolt, and getting back on paper, I continued to believe that someone had moved my scope adjustments. After getting home and seeing my broken scope mount, I felt better about the whole situation.

That being said, about 99% of the guys I compete with in BR are some of the best guys in the world. Even the ones that don't like my 30-30 for the most part are really decent guys. After all, we are talking about the backbone of America, not the deadbeats or anti-gunners.

Michael

i think i understand

The shooters that have a problem with your 30/30, they cant beat the 30/30 with their 6PPC. They know that the learning curve is mountain high on making any cartridge as competitive as a 6PPC and you do it with the lest obvious choice. Way to go, and I understand being different has it's own rewards if you can pull it off.

It would seem to me, those that have an issue with it, like the above poster pointed out, are intimidated and jealous of not being able to beat, what might be considered the old Farmer Behind The Back Door, deer rifle in 30/30, with their Super Accurate Only Choice for 100 Yard Bench Rest, 6 PPC.

Bob

The shooters that have a problem with your 30/30, they cant beat the 30/30 with their 6PPC. They know that the learning curve is mountain high on making any cartridge as competitive as a 6PPC and you do it with the lest obvious choice. Way to go, and I understand being different has it's own rewards if you can pull it off.

It's gone both ways. I have beat them, and they have beat me. They actually beat me more these days than I beat them since I'm rusty. There was a time when a lot of wildcats were used in BR. Now it seems to have stopped with the PPC. If Lapua would make a rimless case with a small primer and flash hole based on the 30-30 case, a 6mm cartridge could be developed, and we could compete once again with a truly American cartridge. The 30-30 is about .025" in diameter less than the PPC. At 1.6" length, it has the same capacity as the PPC. I realize the Russian case works, but we could come up with our own. I realize it will never happen. Michael

6BRT.JPG

Wasn't the Donaldson Wasp based on 30/30 brass ?

Yes. I believe it was 1.75" long. While it shot well, it holds too much powder. It should have been 1.5" long. That would put it right at 22 Waldog capacity. The one below is 1.5" long 6.8 SPC case in 22 caliber. It is Waldog capacity and shoots great. I am in no way campaigning this cartridge. It is not well received by the BR crowd. They do find it interesting, but again, without Lapua brass, it goes nowhere. Michael

22BRT.jpg

It would seem to me, those that have an issue with it, like the above poster pointed out, are intimidated and jealous of not being able to beat, what might be considered the old Farmer Behind The Back Door, deer rifle in 30/30, with their Super Accurate Only Choice for 100 Yard Bench Rest, 6 PPC.

Bob

You can take my word for it, I have seen Michael's Rifles, and they are not "the back door deer rifle in 30-30".:D

The workmanship was flawless, and his attention to detail in prepping the 30-30 brass was impeccable.

Jackie

It looks like your picture is of some kind of hot rod. Way too small to see what it is. Can you elaborate? A guy on here was just asking about our crankshaft balancers. Not sure how he found it, but I'm certain you are familiar with it. www.crankbalancer.com

Michael

Back