Who owns the rights to the PPC cartridges now ?

S

Stonewall

In the 2005 fall issue of Small Caliber News there is an article on the P.P.C. cartridges.

On the last page there is a box with "Dakota Arms Purchases Rights to PPC Cartridges."

SCAN0011.jpg
[/IMG]

"Reloaders like it because it's not a finicky cartridge" hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah,snort, choke,hahahaha,gag,hahaha

We carry our gear to the range so we can change our load just in case the temperature goes up a degree.

Inquiring minds want to know who owns the 22 rimfire.

Last edited:
That article is dated 2006.
To my knowledge both have passed at least as of this year.
I asked the question early this year or late last year why Lapua didnt make brass in ppc, I was told because of royalties that would have to be paid to those listed above.
The parent cartridge being the 220 russian and the fact that BR shooters are so finikey about our brass we tend to use the Lapua anyway.
Its either norma or hornady I believe has recently (last year?) started producing decent brass for the 6ppc. It has not completely caught on in the SR BR field yet though.

Charlie Kokesh who owned Dakota raped a good company. I believe he was indicted and found guilty of financial matters. He put Dakota into bankruptcy and then bought them out of bankruptcy at a greatly reduced price and with creditors left hanging. Remington owns Dakota now.
Butch

Butch, you are spot on for the Dakot/Kokesh update.
The question is: Does Remington have the rights to the PPC brass?
IF so, what are there intentions?

Actually Reminginton doesn't really own Reminginton any more:
"Cerebus Capital Management, L.P. now owns Remington Arms Cerebus is a company best known for owning airlines (Air Canada), car rental companies (Alamo and National), a bus manufacturer (Bluebird), and banks and lending institutions in Germany, Israel and Japan became an instant player in the firearms industry.

With their acquisition of Bushmaster, Cerebus already was firmly ensconced in the "black rifle" industry. By acquiring Remington, they have a significant presence in every area of the firearms industry - except handguns.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_owns_Remington_Firearms#ixzz1fbURRcvp

Interesting isn't it!

I don't have a clue about the PPC. I heard that Dakota had a licensing agreement only. I don't know if that is the real story or not.
Butch

If Remington started making PPC brass it might make into usable 7.62x39 if a guy wanted to go to the work. I'm not sure that they have the know how to produce brass of the quality that's turned out by Lapua or Norma or are willing to spend the money to make it, or both. The round has been around long enough that there's not much they could do to prevent others from chambering for it or forming brass for it, but I'm not a patent or copyright lawyer either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stonewall, to answer your question, Dakota Arms still holds the rights to the PPC cartridge.
someone ought to call them and ask why not make 6PPC brass?
The answer will not be because they are getting rich from royalty rights from Norma.

Charlie Kokesh who owned Dakota raped a good company. I believe he was indicted and found guilty of financial matters. He put Dakota into bankruptcy and then bought them out of bankruptcy at a greatly reduced price and with creditors left hanging. Remington owns Dakota now.
Butch

OK, I'm starting to get it....it's OK to accuse another of "rape" and other financial chicanery as long as he probably doesn't post here or isn't involved in Bench Rest.

must be about "getting caught" in the end

al

OK, I'm starting to get it....it's OK to accuse another of "rape" and other financial chicanery as long as he probably doesn't post here or isn't involved in Bench Rest.

must be about "getting caught" in the end

al
Isn't it always? If it was easier to get money by working than stealing, no one would steal. It's the consequences of breaking the law that put a constraint on stealing. Why do you think the bankers don't want more regulations?

Is it the use of the word "raped" that bothers you? The rest seems to be fact, not opinion. Far as I know, it's OK to post documented facts, (i.e. at least 2 independent, expert sources), on BR Central. That's a higher standard then the Times or Post require.

Edit:

Well, I guess it is a little more than that. We don't want BR Central to turn into the National Enquirer, I imagine. Wilbur can correct me if I'm wrong...

Last edited:
Charles dont forget to ADD that your rules only apply if they dont advertise here even if true.

Charles dont forget to ADD that your rules only apply if they dont advertise here even if true.
Now that's insulting. But I suppose moderators have to allow that they, unlike regular members, can be insulted. If I weren't a moderator, I'd have some nice words for you, appropriately phrased, which a moderator might eventually find and delete. How about it Wilbur, can I retire?

Now Charles you know I would not insult you. It was not meant as an insult to you Wilbur or any other moderator.
Those are the rules of the forums and I understand the need for them.
But you have been here long enough that you must admit there are several advertisers that have had many, many complaints about how they do business and that just like in this case since this one is not an advertiser we were allowed to make TRUE postings and comments and not have them deleted.
If you were truly insulted then I sincerely apologize Charles.

Last edited:
Tell you what, Vern,

For whatever supplier screwed you over, get it in the newspapers. Get a court settlement. Now you can come on BR Central & bash the hell out of them (facts only, of course). I'll help. Like Hambone, I'll bookmark Latin Proverbs to find some choice ones. I'll use a thesaurus to find new & exciting was to describe the scoundrel's behavior.

Good enuf?

What happened to my post?

In October 2008, Adam Kokesh’s father, Charles Kokesh, was charged by the Securities and Exchange Commission with misappropriating $45 million dollars from 21,000 investors in four business development companies (BDCs) through “a variety of schemes and contrivances.”

The SEC complaint alleged that the elder Kokesh controlled two now-defunct investment advisory firms from 1995 through July 2007, which in turn controlled and provided investment advice to his BDC’s. (BDCs are similar to venture capital funds that allow investors to invest in startups and other companies.) The complaint alleges that:

# Acting by and through the Advisers, Kokesh misappropriated approximately $45 million of investor funds by causing the BDCs to pay illegal distributions, performance fees, and expense reimbursements to the Advisers.
# To conceal the scheme, Kokesh caused the Advisers to distribute misleading proxy statements to BDC investors and to file false Commission reports on behalf of the BDCs.

Butch

Another New Mexican newspaper article.

Santa Fe venture capitalist Charles Kokesh's financial empire continues to founder while his son, Adam Kokesh, looks to run for the U.S. House of Representatives.

So far this year, two foreclosure lawsuits have been filed on the senior Kokesh's horse park and private residence, another lender has tried to repossess his motor home, and a credit card company is demanding payments from his wife.

But Kokesh maintains some of those cases are in error, that he is doing well financially after selling his South Dakota arms-manufacturing firm, and looks forward to settling all claims against him.

In a telephone interview Friday, Kokesh said he believes previous stories about his financial troubles are part of a "vendetta" against him by a New Mexican reporter.

"You like to emphasize the negative?" he asked. "You could put a much more positive spin on it: Local venture capitalist succeeds in selling one of the remaining portfolio companies, is flush with cash, does not see a problem working through any of the issues."

Last week, the city of Santa Fe brought a lawsuit against Kokesh, demanding he pay $100,391 owed for sewage effluent to irrigate the fields of the Santa Fe Horse Park.

Kokesh maintains the city complaint omits the "offset" of water he let the city use from the Hagerman Well, which the park owns with Santa Fe County, to irrigate its recreational fields during the drought a few years ago.

"I think they've made a serious mistake," he said. "We've tried resolution in a number of ways."

Only last month, Kokesh said, state District Judge Daniel Sanchez declared valid water rights for the well that the Santa Fe Horse Park and the county acquired from Public Service Company of New Mexico — a transfer the city had opposed before the state engineer.

So far, Charles and Marla Kokesh have been able to stave off Thornburg Mortgage's effort to foreclose on their Camino Corrales home to satisfy a debt of about $4.3 million.

A foreclosure sale for the house, valued for taxes at about $2.2 million, was originally scheduled in front of the Judge Steve Herrera Judicial Complex on April 28 but was postponed until Tuesday. Last week, it was postponed again until 12:15 p.m. Aug. 4.

Kokesh said the postponements are because he is trying to renegotiate his mortgage with Thornburg, which filed for bankruptcy in March.

In March, GEMB Lending filed a complaint seeking to take possession of Kokesh's 1996 custom motor home, valued at $180,000, to satisfy a debt for $227,418. Kokesh said he stopped payments on the motor home because he is not satisfied with its quality and wants to return it.

In June, Citibank sued Marla Kokesh for what it said was an unpaid $9,054 debt. Charles Kokesh said he is unaware of that lawsuit, but believes it may be connected to "a massive embezzlement and credit card fraud involving a former employee" in 2007.

Also still unresolved is the first foreclosure lawsuit brought against Kokesh's Santa Fe Horse Park in February by Los Alamos National Bank for default on a $2.25 million mortgage. That case is set for trial early next year.

Like all of the local lawsuits, Kokesh said he hopes to resolve this and to retain his ownership of the park, which he purchased a decade ago. He said the park is still in business and there are seven other owners, whom he declined to identify.

Kokesh said his financial situation has improved since selling Dakota Arms in Sturgis, S.D., to Remington recently. Dakota Arms, which Kokesh had been running, makes sporting arms for big game as well as sniper and counter-sniper weapons for the military and government agencies. He said he also is close to selling other companies in his portfolio.

Kokesh also said he was misquoted in a recent letter in The New Mexican regarding comments he made at a Republican Party fundraiser regarding a rifle Dakota Arms had donated.

When the auctioneer suggested the gun should go to former Vice President Dick Cheney, Kokesh said, he joked, "I certainly wouldn't oppose shooting all of the corrupt lawyers and Democrats. The lady (who wrote the letter) conveniently left out the word 'corrupt' and the context. I'll stand by the comment. ... An open season on corrupt lawyers and corrupt Democrats doesn't strike me as a bad idea."

Kokesh said he doesn't necessarily agree with his son Adam on all issues, but he supports his commitment to the political process, although he has not contributed to the campaign. "In some ways, probably the only less reputable profession than politician would be reporter," he said. "But it's his choice. I have to admire him for his choice and the stance that he took several years ago against the war in Iraq."

Contact Tom Sharpe at 986-3080 or tsharpe@sfnewmexican.com.

Did any of you read Small Caliber News by Todd Kindler? It was purchased by Kokesh so he could promote Dakota's products. It went titsup and a few good folks lost their jobs.
Butch

Here is the post and link to it about what Kelbly said about making 6PPC brass.

"Ok here is the reason Lapua did not make 6PPC brass. We here at Kelbly's had asked Lapua to make the 220 Russian brass for us back in early 90's. At the time if you made 6PPC brass you had to pay royalty to Dr. Palmisano if you had 6PPC made and sold in USA. Also we feel that making the 6PPC brass out of 220 Russian brass that when formed to 6PPC, that the brass would not grow as fast as if it was made to 6PPC at the factory. We still believe this to be true.

As far as 220 Russian being used around the world, I do not know how much it was used, but the original 220 Russian brass brought here by Palmisano was made in the 60s for the russians to compete against the 223 or 222 in the Olympics. It was found to not be as accurate as the USA teams guns so they did not use it long. When Palmisano found the brass in Finland and came up with the PPC there was 500,000 pieces in inventory and it took till about late 80's to use it up. And that is when the PPC shortage started and why we approached Lapua to make the 220 Russian brass. Most of this story came straight out of the Lapua reloading manual Lapau had in early 90's.

Besides what else do br shooters have to do in the long winters, than form and make brass, it is such fun!!!!!!!

Jim"

IT IS POST NUMBER 12
http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?73980-220-Russian&highlight=kelbly

Back