Who makes loading boxes like this?

James M.

I bought this (used) many years ago at a Shilen Swap meet. Does anyone know who made it? Thanks, James

Attachments

• Range Box 001-002.jpg
    Range Box 001-002.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 866
Sweet box. You ought to get a cabinet man to make up a few dozen and sell em. Nobody makes nice boxes for the newer shooters to get

I bought this (used) many years ago at a Shilen Swap meet. Does anyone know who made it? Thanks, James
James, I could make something like that, Maybe even better. I have found it is easy to improve on a good idea while copying it. If you could you send me drawings and photos and I will see what I can do. Surely you have suggestions of your own for changes or improvements since you have used this. I am retired and I have the time.

Bill Wynne
hab@wcc.net

A shooter from the Northeast, Bob Demonstoy, used to make a similar box, albeit a bit more elaborate with doors.

Thanks George, and Chet may well have made this one. I saw another at the SS several years but did not find out who made it. Bill, I don't need another but several people have asked who made it and I did not know. It is clamped to the bench on the right corner, and it has a front cover that latches at the top. It is very well made and only making it larger would be an improvement. Of course it becomes a problem with transporting if enlarged. James

James, I understand. It is the nature of wood built items to become heavy. That looks like a good idea and a good do it yourself project. It would be a good project for someone to draw plans and cut list for others to build.

Concho Bill

Bill Wynne ?

Sir if you were to come up with a set Dimensions or drawings to make such a loading box similar, what would you charge to build them? You said you were retired and may have the time, I would be interested in one if affordable and a quality piece as I'm sure it would be.
Thanks for suggesting you might be a source for such a usable item. Lets see if there's any other interest
Rich Henderson

Sir if you were to come up with a set Dimensions or drawings to make such a loading box similar, what would you charge to build them? You said you were retired and may have the time, I would be interested in one if affordable and a quality piece as I'm sure it would be.
Thanks for suggesting you might be a source for such a usable item. Lets see if there's any other interest
Rich Henderson

Well, Let me see, I could draw up a set of plans and cut list on my computer program free of charge to help the cause of hand loading. To build one and ship it to you would require packaging and freight to your location. Material and my labor @ at least $3.50 per hour. Seriously, it might cost you $200 delivered without finish. You might do better at a small cabinet shop in your area because there would be no need for packing or freight and the cabinet shop would have material that he could use. A lot of the material could be of his fall off pile. The biggest factor would be labor because those guys are not retired.

The labor on the first one might be 5 or 6 hours. After the first one is built, the labor for two at a time might be 1/2 that.

I would draw some good plans for free for this project complete with a cut list.

I hope this helps.

Bill Wynne

Bill - Draw up some plans and put them in the classifieds...the cheaper the better but you need to get something for your effort! Alternatively, draw up something and post it. I'll try to figure a way to make it forever.

Check your email please sir!

James, if

the front cover is a drop front, it was definitely a Ron Shultz product. Chet may have built a few as well, but the majority of those oak boxes were built by Ron.

David

Range Box

the front cover is a drop front, it was definitely a Ron Shultz product. Chet may have built a few as well, but the majority of those oak boxes were built by Ron.
David is correct it is the first style that Ron Made (1993/1994). I have never made any mine where all made by Don Ross. Back in 1992 he made 5 boxes Walt Berger got 2 for him and Eunice Don kept one for himself and I got 2 for wife and myself. In 1993 I had Don Ross make me a larger box that I could mount my sizing press in and sold the smaller one which George Ulrich now has. Larger one is pictured below. If anyone wants I can get pictures of Ron Schultz later model which a very nice style of a range box.

Chet
P1010132 (640x489).jpg
P1010131 (640x629).jpg

If anyone wants I can get pictures of Ron Schultz later model which a very nice style of a range box.

Chet
Chet and James, If you can get me more photos and dimensions, also your phone numbers for my questions. I will work with Wilbur and see what we can do in the way of shop drawings and do it yourself instructions. I want to be sure to give those who developed this idea credit.

I believe the first one that Chet posted was oak and the second one that Chet posted looks like a product we call "Baltic Birch". Baltic birch is a plywood that is made in Russia. All layers are thin and of the same birch. That would be my first choice of material as it is very stable. It can be found in most cabinet shops but few lumber yards.

Bill Wynne
hab@wcc.net

The labor on the first one might be 5 or 6 hours.

Bill,
Hats off to you if you can make one in 6 hours. Would be curious to know how long it actually takes you. Looking forward to seeing the drawings. Thanks for doing this.

Cheers,
Keith

Not my first Rodeo

Bill,
Hats off to you if you can make one in 6 hours. Would be curious to know how long it actually takes you. Looking forward to seeing the drawings. Thanks for doing this.

Cheers,
Keith

Keith, I am a professional. I have a complete cabinet shop with all the woodworking tools needed. I know how to work with these tools and I love doing it. I was thinking that all the parts were on hand and I was not counting my painting the thing. I am estimating that the average cabinet shop worker could make one of these in just a few hours or he would need another line of work. I could probably beat that time some unless you came by and helped me.

Excuse me, Keith, I was kidding some and I am not trying to offend. Please remember, I have spent a lifetime building boxes of one kind or other. After I complete some drawings, I may build one and keep track of the time.

Concho Bill

David is correct it is the first style that Ron Made (1993/1994). I have never made any mine where all made by Don Ross. Back in 1992 he made 5 boxes Walt Berger got 2 for him and Eunice Don kept one for himself and I got 2 for wife and myself. In 1993 I had Don Ross make me a larger box that I could mount my sizing press in and sold the smaller one which George Ulrich now has. Larger one is pictured below. If anyone wants I can get pictures of Ron Schultz later model which a very nice style of a range box.

Chet
View attachment 16391
View attachment 16392

Chet, I would appreaciate any help I can get on the range box. I would like dimentions, if possible, as well as pictures.

Box Builder
Concho Bill
hab@wcc.net

Bill,
No offense intended on this end, either. I am honestly in awe that you could make it so quickly. It would probably take me 6 DAYS. I don't get to spend much time in the shop, and I have grown fond of hand tools. Neither promotes efficiency. I look forward to making more stuff when I retire. Would love to see your shop sometime.

All the best,
Keith

Keith,
I would love to show you around my shop. I would be happy to help you make something out of wood. Please consider me a friend.

Bill Wynne

It would take me 6hrs to cut out the front of one of those drawers. If it was metal i could do it tho! Very impressed by the good wood workers.

Back