Who made this ring?????

Boyd Allen

I have a pair of these that I bought from someone second hand, and I would like to know who made them. Any help will be appreciated. Boyd IMG_1392 by boydallen, on Flickr

Last edited:
Looks like an investment cast ring to me. Kelblys rings are machined from solid.

I've got a bunch of Kelblys rings, short, medium and tall in 1" and 30mm. None look like this.

I decided to go ahead and fix them. The pair had an .018 difference in height, which sounds like a lot until you do a little math and find out that with them spread to an outside to outside measurement of 5.9" (maximum on my Viper) that the resultant angle only amounts to .002 across the width (.650) of a ring, well within the range of my lapping bar working on aluminum rings. The resultant tilt should be about 10.5 MOA (down at the front) well within the range of my scope's adjustments. These rings have three advantages. They are well made (except for the height difference), already paid for, and taller than others that are currently available (a little over 1.6", center of scope to top of base), which suits my shooting style. For those that want to get really high, the rings that I just took off are a pair of relatively rare Lee Six external adjustable, that are about 1.9". If anyone is interested in these let me know. At one time I was toying with the idea of combining them with a frozen scope.

Attachments

• Lee Six external adjustable rings 002.jpg
    Lee Six external adjustable rings 002.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 388
I decided to go ahead and fix them. The pair had an .018 difference in height, which sounds like a lot until you do a little math and find out that with them spread to an outside to outside measurement of 5.9" (maximum on my Viper) that the resultant angle only amounts to .002 across the width (.650) of a ring, well within the range of my lapping bar working on aluminum rings. The resultant tilt should be about 10.5 MOA (down at the front) well within the range of my scope's adjustments. These rings have three advantages. They are well made (except for the height difference), already paid for, and taller than others that are currently available (a little over 1.6", center of scope to top of base), which suits my shooting style. For those that want to get really high, the rings that I just took off are a pair of relatively rare Lee Six external adjustable, that are about 1.9". If anyone is interested in these let me know. At one time I was toying with the idea of combining them with a frozen scope.

Boyd, this appears to be a clone of the Al Davidson adjustable rings - perhaps made & sold by Lee Six. (?)

I have three sets of them - I cannot recall if I got them from Lee Six, or, Al Davidson.
The first time I met Mr. Davidson, at a tournament in KC, Mo, I had a set on my Hunter Rifle (it was a Hunter Sat, LV, or, HV on Sunday weekend). Upon seeing the rings, Mr. Davidson introduced himself, and stated, "that's the first set I've seen on a rifle in a registered BR tournament." I remain amazed at that, as they accommodated keeping both optically and mechanically centered - it doesn't get any better than that. RG

Back