Whidden dies?

TrxR

Are whidden custom dies worth the money? Im putting together a 30br right now and am debating doing custom whidden fl bushing die and seater or a harrels fl bushing die and a wilsons seating blank cut with my reamer.

Thanks

The only person who can truly determine that is you. The extra 5% or so that makes the winner just a little better than 2nd place can cost a lot of $$. Most of us are satisfied with Harrell's dies or similar, but Whidden dies are possibly that extra 5%. Get a set and report back here. That being said you can spend a ton of $$ and have the absolute best of everything, then miss a switch on the 3rd flag and blow it all.

Rick

Are whidden custom dies worth the money? Im putting together a 30br right now and am debating doing custom whidden fl bushing die and seater or a harrels fl bushing die and a wilsons seating blank cut with my reamer.

Thanks

MY rating of the commonly available dies.....
#1-Neil Jones
#2-Whidden
#3-Harrell

I use only fitted dies and own/use 5 other brands also.

I currently have resorted to making my own dies for guns I build to sell but will unconditionally endorse the 3 I listed.....all have different attributes but all offer solid value at their respective price points

I have custom Whidden dies in all my precision calibers and off the shelf Whidden dies in my other rifle calibers. I sure like them and dealing with those guys has been great.

Bob

They're fantastic dies. He did a FL bushing die for my .30 Stingray and it turned out perfect. Squeezes 0.001" up towards the shoulder junction and 0.0006" at the base. Most importantly, they size dead concentric. Just sent him 3 or 4 cases that have been fired 3 times or so.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

His email said he only needed 3 cases that were fired once.?

How do his seaters compare to a wilsons cut with my own reamer?

Whidden die

I use a custom Whidden die on my PPC.
Best die I have ever used in sizing my brass .
I never get bolt click and it sizes case perfect.

OK.... if you chamber with a pusher and get results the same size as the reamer then the only downside I've ever experienced is that when I'm out on the dogpatch reloading on the fly without sizing I need to carry a small flat-blade screwdriver to remove cases from the die.

Or pop the die stem each time and pump 'em out.

As far as Whidden seaters? I dunno', never bought one.

I use whatever's to hand and friggin' cheapest for seating.

To me seating ain't but a thang.....

Just look at the results

John Cascarino has won two big events lately with a lowly old 30 BR. I don't think John has anything exotic, not even a snubber in his Beggs tuner :). Of course he's only 80 so he may improve as time goes on. It's all about great ammo and reading windflags, not the extra 50 FPS.

Pete

Back