Which trigger pull gage?

A

Aimhigh

Which one should I buy. Will be used for benchrest rifles to hunting rifles.

Thanks

Save your money.

Stand the rifle upright.

Hang a plastic baggie off the trigger with a paper clip that doesn't bind anywhere on the trigger guard.

Fill the bag with water till it fires.

Weigh the whole mess.

Now THAT was worth twice't whatcha' paid for it!

Here I was gonna' suggest a piece of string and some splitshot fishing weights and ............ Ol' Phil just changed my whole worldview.

NICE :D:D

al

Typically Benchrest triggers are so light trigger pull gauges don't accurately measure them. Picking a known weight up by using the trigger while the unloaded barrel is pointed straight up is the best way of measuring... and that is still quite difficult with 2 ounce triggers....

For hunting rifles any trigger scale will work fine.

What is interesting is that we "need" a number at all. After a long time of having my "2 oz." trigger where it feels good to me, a friend brought over his Lyman electronic trigger pull gage and I got a number to go with that feel. It turned out to be around 2.7 oz. For a second I thought about "fixing" my trigger adjustment, and then thought the better of it. I had already known that the trigger could be set lighter, and had chosen the pull by feel, uninfluenced by any other consideration. What could be better? Sometimes I think that we are unreasonably drawn to minimums and maximums, when something more or less may, in fact, work better.

Try This

I use a similar version of the paper clip/water trick. I use a paper clip with a string attached and use the clamp on wheel weights that are used to balance your tires. They can be had for free, when they will no longer clamp the rim properly, and come in weights from 1/2 oz to 4 oz and you can trim them to any weight.
Jim:):):)

Gentleman, a string, small plastic bottle and shotgun pelets work marvellously with any trigger.

Con

:Dhehehe,

Al. I'm a big proponent of the KISS system.

Now, I am going to make a prediction.

My next question will forever change the course of accuracy shooting history.

Here goes.

Why has a similar technology not been applied to tuners?

omg. What have I begun? :D

:Dhehehe,

Al. I'm a big proponent of the KISS system.

Why has a similar technology not been applied to tuners?

omg. What have I begun? :D

Mr. 4Mesh the knowledgeble man you'r believe in KISS. The rest believe in complexity. Isn't 30 000 hits enough to prove that?

Con

I've used the "hang something on the trigger and add weight till it goes off" procedure and it does work. I'm just looking for something more convenient.

I have a "thing" about triggers and just have to tinker with them. I have improved the trigger pull on all sorts of rifles, shotguns and pistols. I like to study them and come up with a way to improve them. Sometimes, I just do a little polishing, sometimes I go as far as changing the geometry adding adjustment screws and changing the sear angles. The only one I ever ruined was on a 10/22 and that was almost on purpose- I had extra hammers and sears on hand, so I just wanted to see how far I could take it. If it is a rare or expensive trigger or I just don't understand it, I'll be more conservative.

I think having a gauge would help me learn more about triggers and how to improve them. Another reason for having a gauge is to check for consistency.

Then theres always the bragging factor- I got that such and such trigger down to a safe blah.. blah...blah.:)

So far the Lyman looks like the one.

I forgot to add, I sort of thought there might not be a gauge that would do a good job on 2oz tirggers but, if there was one you guys would know about it.

Ok Ok, I do have a coupla' "trigger scales" kicking around...... I have been happy with this one >>> http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=4985&title=TRIGGER+PULL+GAUGE <<< Using this gauge the marker stays put whereas the older flat style one (I disremember the brand) has a tendency to lose its reading.

I can't conceive of a reason to have the electronic one for myself. I hate to pull out electronic stuff to find the battery dead or worse yet leaking.....

just my opinion, worth exactly what ya' paid :D

al

Aimhigh,

I have the Lyman electronic scale and it does a great job. Even on my 2oz. Jewell. If time is a factor, it is super quick. No dealing with water, lead shot, or tire weights though I do like all of those ideas.

Last edited:
Fish scale

My fish scale measures in 1/4 lb increments. All my match triggers, break before they hit the 1st 1/4 lb mark. That equates to less than 4 oz. I can't feel the differance between 4oz's and 2 oz's anyway, so I'm happy with it. Other's feel that the fish scale will lie. True, but we put up with lying wind flags, so what's the differance.

Different

There are different types of rifle competition that the weight of trigger pull is strictly enforced.

Gages are not used to take this measurement.

Only a weight system is used.

Back