Which Tap Style to Order ?

crb

Ray Brooks
On my Suhl I want to move the rear action screw forward so I need to order the correct 6x.75mm tap. Will a basic hand type plug style do fine or would something else like a spiral point do a better job?

Thanks
Ray

If your only going to be doing one through hole, by hand, then an ordanary HSS taper or intermediate tap will do just fine. If it's a blind hole then you may also need a bottoming tap. You can just use the bottoming tap but these are a little harder to start and require more force to cut the thread (Not recomended if your tapping some real tough material).
Sprial point or Gun taps are mainly used for power tapping as they direct the swarf down into the hole away form the tap flutes and stop them from clogging up.

Cheers
Leeroy

If its a through hole get a plug tap if its a blind hole get a bottoming tap. A spiral tap is to aid in chip extraction during machine tapping, you dont need this when tapping by hand because you can feel and back off/clean it out. Make sure you get HSS, carbon steel taps break very easy.

If its a through hole get a plug tap if its a blind hole get a bottoming tap.

Not trying to be a smart ass but isn't a plug and bottoming tap the exact same thing??
In the US they are known as bottoming taps but out here in Australia and Britain they are also known as plug taps..

Cheers
Leeroy

Not trying to be a smart ass but isn't a plug and bottoming tap the exact same thing??
In the US they are known as bottoming taps but out here in Australia and Britain they are also known as plug taps..

Cheers
Leeroy

Leeroy, They are different.

A 3 tap set comes taper, plug and bottoming.

If you only tap a blind hole with a plug tap, you will have several imperfect threads near the bottom. After the plug, you should clean out, lube and run the bottoming tap.

Of course, as mentioned, with a through hole, just use a taper tap, and go until you see perfect threads appear on the backside of the thru hole.

Last edited:
Back