Which shooting organization?

tiny68

Probably a hornet's nest, but I don't know and I don't have any one to ask. If I am going to try and shoot a couple of registered matches in 2010 in Oklahoma and Texas, which shooters organization should I join - IBS or NBRSA? Is membership a requirement of shooting a registered match? I have only shot club matches in the past. I don't know I will spend the funds to join both organizations at this point. Denton host both NBRSA and IBS events correct? Does Luther only have NBRSA? Sure wish one of you mentor types would move a little closer........ Thanks, Tim

It will probably depend on what alphabet hosts the match. IBS recognizes NBRSA membership, but the last time I heard this wasn't reciprocal. Actually, it's not all that much $$. If there are a couple of matches scheduled close enough for me to attend, I'll probably join NBRSA too.

Rick

The majority of IBS matches are in the northeast. For a Texas shooter, you'll find more NBRSA matches in Texas and Oklahoma than IBS matches. There are only a few clubs that are shooting IBS in Texas. My guess is that those were varmint for score matches. I've been a life NBRSA member for a long time, but an IBS member only when I remember to send in my dues. I've never shot in an IBS match and hasn't really been much reason to do so as they were a long ways off. The IBS nationals a few years ago in St. Louis was the closest the IBS has had a nationals to Texas since I've been shooting. It came at a time when we were building a new house and I couldn't make it. So, for all practical purposes, if you're planning to shoot in Texas and Oklahoma, join the NBRSA. Support both organizations if you have a mind to and have a little extra cash.

Tim, If you

Probably a hornet's nest, but I don't know and I don't have any one to ask. If I am going to try and shoot a couple of registered matches in 2010 in Oklahoma and Texas, which shooters organization should I join - IBS or NBRSA? Is membership a requirement of shooting a registered match? I have only shot club matches in the past. I don't know I will spend the funds to join both organizations at this point. Denton host both NBRSA and IBS events correct? Does Luther only have NBRSA? Sure wish one of you mentor types would move a little closer........ Thanks, Tim

are only planning on joining 1 organization, join the NBRSA. That way you can shoot at any of the matches across the country. NBRSA does not have reciprocity w/ the IBS, but the IBS will accept your NBRSA card.

I would hope you would see your way clear to support BOTH organizations, as we need to make sure we have matches to shoot. But I am realistic enough to understand that some people cannot or will not afford both. As you get more involved in the competition side, I would hope you see the wisdom of sending 2 checks a year rather than just 1.

Tim ...

Although I live in and shoot exclusively in Texas, I belong to both organizations. I belong to the NBRSA because there are more of those matches in this state than IBS. I belong to the IBS because along with that membership you also get a subscription to Precision Shooting magazine and the Denton club hosts at least one IBS match that I shoot in and will presumably host more in the future. Hopefully, one day, when all the old codgers move on to a better place, the animosities of yesteryear will dissolve and a joint organization can be formed. Art :)

Thanks for the info. I didn't realize the PS was included with IBS membership. I will start with the NBRSA and then try to get the IBS as funds allow during the year.

Happy shooting and I look forward to meeting some of you in person. Tim

Reciprocitty

For a very long long time both organizations chose to let the others shooters compete in their organizations events. NBRSA sometime around 10 years back chose to end this arrangement citing financial needs if I recall correctly. IBS chose to let it be the way it always had been and still allows NBRSA members to compete in IBS matches. Also as previously mentioned IBS membership includes a subscription to Precision Shooting in fact most of your IBS membership fee goes to paying for this subscription .

Dick Grosbier

Tim

Many of us are members of both organizations because we wish to support Benchrest in all venues. Plus, it does give us a voice in the direction that the Sanctioning Bodies are taking. Who knows what the future may bring.

But, for your purpose, keep in mind, at this time, there is only one IBS Match being held any where near you, that is the big IBS Score Match held at Denton. All other Registered Competitions are NBRSA sanctioned events.

So, what you can do is join the NBRSA. The IBS recognizes NBRSA membership, so you can shoot the IBS Event at Denton.

I would encourage all extreme accuracy shooters to join both Sanctioning Bodies, if it does not put a finacial burden upon you. ........jackie

Tim
You need to plan on shooting at Luther this year. There are only 3 matches. I believe one in March, April and May, all on Saturdays. The exact schedule should be out soon. Luther does not have any club matches. We have to go to Denton for those. However the matches at Luther are all one day events. Start about 10am, finish about 4:30 or so.

Donald

I have never shot in a NRA match since leaving the Army in 1965 but I still belong. What do I get for my money?

You get at least 25 pieces of junk mail each year claiming almost free insurance of every type, request for funds to support a "do or die cause", and usually a few phone calls requesting funds as well. And yes, I am an NRA member. Until, I found out about the Do Not Contact list being available from the NRA I was considering dropping my membership. I don't know if we all get the same level of junk mail from the NRA but I had enough. Ok, off the soap box. I am working on joining the NBRSA today. I will ask for membership to IBS for my birthday present in March.

Happy years gentlemen, Tim

Do both if you can-

Although I live in and shoot exclusively in Texas, I belong to both organizations. I belong to the NBRSA because there are more of those matches in this state than IBS. I belong to the IBS because along with that membership you also get a subscription to Precision Shooting magazine

I do the same thing. I shoot NBRSA registered because of whats in my area, but also subscribe to Precision Shooting which automatically makes me an IBS member too. While I don't shoot IBS at the moment, doesn't mean that I won't in the future, and am supporting both organizations. Once in a while I read PS when time allows.

-MP

Ialso subscribe to Precision Shooting which automatically makes me an IBS member too.
-MP

Mike
Just a minor correction here, it is true you can join IBS for little more than the cost of PS magazine.
But only by sending the money to Joan Borden for an IBS membership.
You can in fact subscribe to Precision shooting for $37 a year (in the US) IBS membership cost $50.

Dick Grosbier

You get at least 25 pieces of junk mail each year claiming almost free insurance of every type, request for funds to support a "do or die cause", and usually a few phone calls requesting funds as well. And yes, I am an NRA member. Until, I found out about the Do Not Contact list being available from the NRA I was considering dropping my membership. I don't know if we all get the same level of junk mail from the NRA but I had enough. Ok, off the soap box. I am working on joining the NBRSA today. I will ask for membership to IBS for my birthday present in March.

Happy years gentlemen, Tim

Tim ,
I thank you for that little tidbit of information. I also get tired of all the Junk mail from NRA I pay my dues every year to support NRA but I almost feel like they spend half of it pleading for more money. Would you mind telling me how you got on their Do Not Call list? Is it on website or is there a phone call that needs to be made,

Thanks
Dick

Dick-

Mike
Just a minor correction here, it is true you can join IBS for little more than the cost of PS magazine.
But only by sending the money to Joan Borden for an IBS membership.
You can in fact subscribe to Precision shooting for $37 a year (in the US) IBS membership cost $50.

Dick Grosbier

I stand corrected. I haven't gone through the process yet-someone explained it to me that didn't have all the facts straight or I didn't understand them completely-it wouldn't be the first time.
I will pass it along.

Thanks,
Mike

I stand corrected. I haven't gone through the process yet-someone explained it to me that didn't have all the facts straight or I didn't understand them completely-it wouldn't be the first time.
I will pass it along.

Thanks,
Mike
No problem Mike.
I hate to tell you how many times I have been wrong lately

Thanks
Dick

Tim ,
Would you mind telling me how you got on their Do Not Call list? Is it on website or is there a phone call that needs to be made,

I called the phone number on the back of my NRA card and just ask to be placed on the "Do not contact" list. I read about it on a different shooters forum last year. It takes about 2 months for the mailings to stop, but the did for good. Luck, Tim

Back