Which Scope ???

Matt P

Hi All
Weaver T24 and Leupold 8.5-25 x 50 LRT.
Which scope would you recommend and why???
Being used for LR BR and F Class.
Matt Paroz

Matt,

I had to buy my 8.5-25 because it was the only half respectable scope in the gunshop that got got the lifetime warranty credit for my scope that went belly up. Except when I had to set it up at 25 yards, it's been screwed up to 25 power. Since then I've picked up a 24 Leupold BR (about 10 years old) on Ebay that is optically streets ahead of the 8.5-24 for F/TR & a 36 Sightron Big Sky that I plan to use for 1000 Yard BR because Piki & Stuart reckon that they're OK.

When you read the stories & hear the testimonials, there's not much between the Weaver & Sightron & nobody sells Weavers hereabouts.

John

I am starting to favor the nikon stuff too!!! I have a 6.5-20 on one of my light guns and really like it. I wish they would make that 6-24 in a 30mm scope!!!

Hey Boyd how are ya?

'scope choice

mattp: Just bought a new Zeiss 6.5-20x side focus, 1", 50mm objective and am very impressed with it. Same scope was written up in March "American Rifleman", dope bag page 54. "The Optic Zone" is selling them at a very competitive price: way less than Midway & others. Lifetime transferrable warranty, optics that rival any Leupold. For long range though elevation is limited to 45" so some type of off-set base, and/or Burris Signature ring inserts would probably be req'd. Just my humble opinion.:)

Pretty good Bill how are you?????I have one of the 6.5-20...And 3 of the 6-24's.I had 4 of the 6-24's but sold Jenas a few weeks back...She wants more power...A Nikon 8-32x50 with a 30mm tube would be the hot ticket..I like Nikon;)

what about the Nightforce scopes compared to Luepold competition series?:cool:

I can't afford another Nightforce and the Nikon doesn't have enough internal adjustment, I need at least 38 minutes of useable travel.
Matt P

Boyd- I am good!!! My daughter did pretty good shooting at the first match. I didn't do too bad but wished I did better in the shootoff where it counts. Yeah I will second your motion on the 8-32power scope with the 30mm tube. Maybe Nikon will go for it now they will have two sure sales!!!

i to have become a big fan of the nikon stuff.

for the price, i dont think you can beat the glass, real bright.

i shoot in the hot desert all the time and have had no wierd mirage
or other probs mess with it to a point of flyers landing in south
america. :D

i am hoping that nikon gets going with more bench rest, long range,
tactical scopes in the near future.

MATT P: i see you only mentioned 2 scopes but are you open to
other things?

what price range?

[new guy here. hi all!!!]

Last edited by a moderator:
Locked/modified Scope Necessary?

Could Someone Tell Me About What Percentage Of The Scopes (equipment List Does Not Specify) At The 1000 Yd Nationals Will Be "locked" Or "frozen". Also, What Percentage Would Be "converted" (have Nylon/metal Screws Inserted) Am Trying To Decide If I Need Those Modifications On My Higher Recoil Rifle For Long Range. Thanks: Larry Kramer, Victoria, Tx.

Which Scope?

Buy a March and don't look back. I just received a 60X and will be using my NightForce as a varment scope. I have 2 of the 40X and they all are great as well. The clicks are the best I've ever felt. NO POI SHIFT. NO SHOTS TO SETTLE SCOPE AFTER ADJUSTMENT.

Brian Moore

Could Someone Tell Me About What Percentage Of The Scopes (equipment List Does Not Specify) At The 1000 Yd Nationals Will Be "locked" Or "frozen". Also, What Percentage Would Be "converted" (have Nylon/metal Screws Inserted) Am Trying To Decide If I Need Those Modifications On My Higher Recoil Rifle For Long Range. Thanks: Larry Kramer, Victoria, Tx.
I believe you will find locked scopes are a Short Range BR thing. And I think the nylon locking screws have faded out of use even in short range BR.

Brian
I'd love a March but out of my price range even with the good $$ conversion at the moment.

Matt P

Matt,

save your money until you can purchase exactly what YOU want.

AMEN Edwin D

I would much rather have 1 expensive rock solid scope vs. any amount of free questionable scopes. I have had more than my share of scope problems shooting benchrest over the last few years. I would not wish a scope with intermitant POI shift on my worst enemy. Work OT, sell something/someone whatever you have to do. Put as much effort and expense in the glass as you would in the rifle or you may waste a hummer barrel and never know it.

BMoore

But is the new Sightron available yet?

I've been waiting for Bushnell's new Elite 6500 4.5-30x50 scopes, but haven't been able to find anyone with them in stock yet, and no one seems to have much of an idea when they'll finally be available. I checked Simmons' dealer website after reading the Sightron 8-32 blog on AccurateShooter, and found these scopes aren't available yet either.

I won't wait much longer - there's a new BAT 3LL in the safe, and a new Krieger 9-twist hvy. Palma bbl. in 284 Win. sitting in its box out in the shop, plus all the other parts needed to put the action to use - all but a scope. The Robertson stock should be within another 10 days, so if neither the 6500 or Sightrons are available by the time I've got the rifle together, I'll just go with another Leupold 6.5-20x50 LR target scope.

A Sightron 8-32x56 shipment came in the first week of May. We got one of those to test and a few went out to dealers. Another shipment is due in from Japan at the end of the month. If you call Sightron you may be able to determine the dealers to which the first batch were shipped.

Back