Which primers?

I'm sure this subject has been raked over the coals extensively but I would like to know what some of you consider to be a good alternative for the "fed match primer". I noticed one of our vendors is selling them at a considerable price increase over cci br primers. Thats getting right up there! I guess I'm not shooting br to save money, so if federal is where its at then life will still go on.

Wolf Small Rifle Magnum, that was one of the better ones available when the shortage was bad. Do not try their standar small rifle didn't work nealy as well as the magnums. Some guys are still using them.

Wsr..

I will compete this year with Winchester WSR primers... Getting "like" performance of the 205's... Just a smidge slower than most 205 (getting about 10 FPS less vel on average but better ES consistently)... The cup is tough "like" the 205's, gives solid readable pressure indications like the 205's...
Typically found these days for around 27.00 - 30.00 per 1K.... Oh and are "found" out there pretty easily.

BR guy's need to give these primers a HARD look.
cale

Last edited:
I like the Federal 205's as an alternate. I believe they are the exact same thing as the Match 205's. But, are not visually inspected 100% percent like the Match primers are. I also believe that I read this on this forum several years ago. But, I've used the Rem Match primers and the Wolf Std primers as well as the Winchester WSR primers. I never had any noticble differance between them. But, I never chronographed them. Never tried the Wolf Magnums. So, I can't say anything about them.

Good Luck

James

Wolf Small Rifle Magnum, that was one of the better ones available when the shortage was bad. Do not try their standar small rifle didn't work nealy as well as the magnums. Some guys are still using them.

In 2012 I bought 4k Wolf Small Rifle Mags and I have even mixed them on a target with 205 GM's and they perform alike. The WSRM's are 0.0005 larger and 0.005 shorter than the 205's. If your firing pin protrusion is at minimum or weak you may get misfires. If your primer pockets are getting loose, the Wolfs help.

Nothing has the feel of the way the Federal GM205M primer seats. It will spoil a feller.

Last edited:
Back