Which Powder Measure

kdvarmint

I'm currently using a Hornady powder measure. Constantly wants to "bind" a little when working the handle to throw a charge. Who makes the best functioning and most accurate measure?

"most accurate" is an iffy term.
a charge master will do the work for you at plus or minus .1 or so
and they are on sale with a rebate.

I'm currently using a Hornady powder measure. Constantly wants to "bind" a little when working the handle to throw a charge. Who makes the best functioning and most accurate measure?

May have a little Powder that has been crushed in the dispensing process. There is a screw on the side,,back it out,remove cylinder, and clean with a cloth. I prefer a microfiber.Just wipe it down and the housing the assembly rides on. NO LUBE ! Re-assemble.
I have 2 Bruno's that work great.
I currently use a RCBS Charge Master.They work great. Use a 12 V 8AH battery for use at the range. You will have to take it to a Batteries plus type store and have them identify the positive and negative for the unit,and attach the appropriate clips. You will also need a battery charger. I have shot National matches without charging the battery,2-3 days of practice and 6 days of competitation.

Good Luck

Dissasembled and cleaned more than once. No lube. I think it is just the design. I use a lot of Varget powder if anyone is wondering.

Dissasembled and cleaned more than once. No lube. I think it is just the design. I use a lot of Varget powder if anyone is wondering.

Not familiar with Varget. if it is a stick type powder the binding may be the granules being cut by the cylinder or the cylinder has lost it's cutting edge.. Have you tried any 8208 or other small spherical type powder?
Does it hang up with those ?

Last edited:
The accuracy of adjustable volume powder measures is strongly related to the size and shape of powder grains, as well as consistently using the best technique (that is appropriate for the powder being thrown and the measure being used). No matter what sort of measure is used, coarser extruded powders will have to be thrown light and trickled, if tight charge weight limits are to be adhered to. I have a number of different powder measures and I cannot point to one that would not have the issue that you mentioned with coarse extruded powder. Although I have not tried one, I have read that the inexpensive Lee measure is better in that regard. My favorite measure, given that I do most of my loading at the range, with powders that I can throw to +- .1 grain, is a Harrell's that has roller bearings that support its drum, but I would not tell you that it is more accurate, just more convenient, and less prone to issues relating to wear and the need to clean the drum.

If you load at home, and +- .1 works for you, I suggest a Chargemaster. They can be taken to the range, but that is beyond my personal junk hauling limit, given that I can throw the powders that I usually load there.

My tuned up chargemaster will throw varget faster than i can seat a bullet. In stock form it overshoots a lot due to clumpiness. A redding br30 measure throws it well too. The heavy cast iron drum cuts it just right and is very consistent. A harrels doesnt seem to throw varget well to me

Chargemaster will always get my vote. Ive tried throwing powder, but Ive never felt comfortable enough to do so for a match. I just don't trust it. Lots of folks do however. Im just not one of them. The chargemaster is a great tool, and I don't see it an issue packing it around. Not even a little! Just don't forget your wind shield if your loading outside. you will go mad by the weeks end. Do this once and Trust me when I say, you wont ever forget it again!!!!! Lee

May have a little Powder that has been crushed in the dispensing process. There is a screw on the side,,back it out,remove cylinder, and clean with a cloth. I prefer a microfiber.Just wipe it down and the housing the assembly rides on. NO LUBE ! Re-assemble.
I have 2 Bruno's that work great.
I currently use a RCBS Charge Master.They work great. Use a 12 V 8AH battery for use at the range. You will have to take it to a Batteries plus type store and have them identify the positive and negative for the unit,and attach the appropriate clips. You will also need a battery charger. I have shot National matches without charging the battery,2-3 days of practice and 6 days of competitation.

Good Luck

From experience, if you get the polarity on the battery reversed, it will blow the electronics on the Chargemaster as quickly as you can push the on button. Ron Sewell showed me a battery that he was using for his that comes in a plastic carrying box with the leade attached and also with a charging port so that you don't have to remove the leades from the battery to charge it. I'd still make sure that the polarity is correct before hooking it up. The AC adapter for a A&D is reversed from what a Chargemaster uses. So, if you have both, make sure to mark which one goes to which scale. I'd hate to get them switched on either one as I know what it does for the Chargemaster. RCBS will not fix one that has had the electronics blow. If it's under warranty, they'll replace it, but after a year you are out of luck. Here's a link to the battery box that Ron showed me.
Stealth Cam Battery Box
There is also a magnet that will clip around the leade going from the battery that will help prevent the zero drifting as the day goes along. Ron gave me an extra one that he had and it definitely does work. One such magnet

I'll be burned at the stake for this....

But I use this one for stick powder.
Lee%20measure_zpsmjhkk5g2.jpg

I watched a couple fellas last year while at a match throwing charges with a harrels. They would throw, and then weigh each one on there electronic scale. Whatever makes a fella happy, but I couldn't help but wonder why they just didn't get a chargemaster. I really like mine. I have had mine for 5 years now and it hasn't given me any trouble. Not one bit.. Lee

You just wont hardly see a chargemaster at a match. If im not in my camper i wont tote one mainly due to reliable power

Last year when I got a GemPro scale I did a little test with my HV 6 BR. Using LT-32 I threw a large batch then weighed a bunch using my old Culver / Lyman 55 measure from the 1980's (weighed indoors so minimal impact to the reading). All other components held the same, still day with respect to conditions, and loading at the range I couldn't tell a difference on paper. Of course, that was only 100 yards and the test wasn't perfect. But I walked away with little motivation to weigh every charge. I may conduct the same trial with my new PPC if I get the itch.

Incidentally, I've practiced with that Culver and like Boyd and am +/- 0.1 on average. LT meters so beautifully. Just my two cents.

-Lee
www.singleactions.com

Kevin,
I have a lee also and I use it for Varget. I also use an old Redding for RL-17. I keep them adjusted for the most common loading I do with each powder.
I have been tempted to get rid of the Redding and get another Lee!
I dispense low and trickle up on a lab balance to one granule with both powders.

Matter of fact, I use Lee custom collet dies for both my BR guns as well as for my 7X57 hunting rifle. I still body size, but the final neck size is the Lee Collette. Got a cheap Lee classic Press too!

I still use the old Belding & Mull which I modified for my own use. I use the Lyman 55 w/ a Homer Culver insert a little. I tried the RCBS Uniflow and it's ok. I mostly use H4831 and H4350 though. I don't mess w/ electronics but that is just my person al choice.

Back