Which one?

RHC

I've been having a conversation with another "benchrest" shooter on another forum I frequent. I scratched the idea of getting into long range benchrest after going to an F-Class shoot a while back. Anyways asking him about actions (I plan on using a factory action and doing the necessary modifications to be trued) and he says the 700 action is a pile of crap compared to a Savage action in factory actions. Maybe he's right but it just doesn't explain why many of the custom actions are based around the 700 action. In my opinion, I've always thought the 700 was a stronger action than a Savage; one of the reasonings behind this is the 700 bolt is machined from one piece where as the Savage is put together. Again let me know if I'm wrong, but which one is better if you are going to be shooting F-Class?

I've been having a conversation with another "benchrest" shooter on another forum I frequent. I scratched the idea of getting into long range benchrest after going to an F-Class shoot a while back. Anyways asking him about actions (I plan on using a factory action and doing the necessary modifications to be trued) and he says the 700 action is a pile of crap compared to a Savage action in factory actions. Maybe he's right but it just doesn't explain why many of the custom actions are based around the 700 action. In my opinion, I've always thought the 700 was a stronger action than a Savage; one of the reasonings behind this is the 700 bolt is machined from one piece where as the Savage is put together. Again let me know if I'm wrong, but which one is better if you are going to be shooting F-Class?

In my opinion, you'll be better off with a 700 for one reason - you can hang a Jewell off of it. Or Bix'N'Andy, or <insert_high_quality_aftermarket_trigger_here>. I don't know about stronger - both actions will easily hold up to whatever caliber you choose to shoot, with whatever length of barrel you want to hang off of it. Both have been known to produce high scores in the hands of good shooters.

The trigger options for Savage are inferior, IMO.

Last edited:
That's another thing I looked at was the ability to have a good trigger on there. I don't like two-stage triggers. Plus I believe I could do most of the truing work by myself on my lathe.

How heavy a bbl can a rem.700 support.
building a rifle now and cant decide if i should
use a 30" heavy palma or a 30" HV taper.
I'm not trying to hijack this thread , I think
this is relevant to op's question.
I do think a Savage target action can support
a heavier bbl. BUT trigger options are not as good.
the Remington is a proven performer, only limitation,
in my opinion is how heavy a bbl it can support.
ken

It is true that the Remington 700 does have a short tenon, so do many of the Custom Actions as well. I have a Farley action rifle that has the same short tenon as the Remington and have had a 32" 1.125 Straight barrel on it for Two years now. It has won its share of F-Class match's and is still shooting very good. if there is a problem with using a long heavy barrel I would have seen it by now I am sure. I am so confident in this setup that 8 months or so ago I installed another 1.25 straight barrel on my Eliseo Tube Gun that has a Remington 700 action, this one is 30" long. It is just a little heavy for Benchrest so I shoot it in Heavy Gun and I am doing very well with it so far.

Roland

How heavy a bbl can a rem.700 support.
building a rifle now and cant decide if i should
use a 30" heavy palma or a 30" HV taper.
I'm not trying to hijack this thread , I think
this is relevant to op's question.
I do think a Savage target action can support
a heavier bbl. BUT trigger options are not as good.
the Remington is a proven performer, only limitation,
in my opinion is how heavy a bbl it can support.
ken

You can shoot at least a 30", full 1.25" no-contour barrel on a Remington 700 action, without issue. Fully floated barrel even.

Unless Remington changed their method of manufacture the bolts are 3 piece. The bolt head is silver soldered to the body and the handle is also silver soldered to the body. Upon close inspection you can see the joints.

Do yourself a favor and look at a savage action that is disassembled. The firing pin is about 10 parts, the trigger isn't the part you need to worry about its the sear, or what ever that knob is that comes off the side of the bolt. Get a custom action, you will be money ahead in the long run. Buy the time you true a Remington and bush the firing pin, a custom is a better deal.

What ebb said - about the custom action...

Don't just consider it, but rather add it up and see which one you think is best.

Back